View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
progo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have eix-sync in my server's cron.daily.

On my lappy (which isn't up for 24/7 unlike the server) I sync whenever I'm going to do some updating or to install some big.
eirkeim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sync my server about once a week, and will probably sync my laptop once every day (installing as I speak).
G2k
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about once a week during the academic year. During the summer, not even once.
Pallidula rigida nudula,
Nec ut soles dabis iocos...
- Imp. Caesar Hadrianus
Gidzz0r
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: hmm.. Reply with quote

I sync every day! :oops:
wizkid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Which Box? Reply with quote

I have 5 gentoo boxes, 5 vservers, and a baseline vserver. Which one?

I try to do updates on 2-3 boxes a week, or when an important security fix comes out. I try not to sync more then once a day, per box. But when someting don't emerge, well, so much for once a day. When an ebuild is bad, it's usually fixed in an hour or two, so re-syncing fixes it most the time.
garlik42
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: hmm.. Reply with quote

I have 4 gentoo boxes with different sync schedules,
2 Xboxes running gentoo (not gentoox) these guys don't get synced too often, maybe 3 or 4 times a year when I need a bunch of boxes
for something. Most of the time they are turned of.
1 Home pc 5 - 10 times a year, when I remember or need the box for something.
1 Work pc, done in cron.daily once a day, the sync and the update with logs mailed.

I have had no problems with any of the machines, with any of the sync schedules.
gagern
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sync my desktop computer every day, or more accurately every night using a cron job that runs update-eix directly afterwards.

Main reason is that sync takes time, so I want to avoid syncing just before I look for some cutting edge package that might fix a bug I'm experiencing or some such. I want to know my package information is fairly up to date whenever I access it.

It is different with my notebook. I sync that usually before I run an update world, which is when I have it placed somwewhere with power and network connection and won't need it for some time, when this is a good way to keep it occupied. Might be twice a week, might be a month in between, very irregular.
MxxCon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

every day first thing every morning i do 'esync -v'. it does 'emerge sync'(it should really be updated for --sync) and then 'eupdatedb' which at the end shows difference between current and previous sync. that way i can see what's U, N, MN, and I.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just do a manual sync (eix-sync :) on my server when I need to install something or bother to check for updates, i could just do a daily cron on eix-sync and mail the update listing to myself, but meh, it's not important enough, i run an rsync mirror and http-replicator on the server to propigate portage updates and distfiles to clients. That way I don't waste bandwidth (my own, and gentoo infra) syncing 4+ machines a day, my server is a little slower than gentoos, but it wont kill me.
Babali
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I --sync every 2 or 3 days
thesnowman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
# crontab -l
# sync portage tree every day of the week
00      06      *       *       *       /usr/bin/emerge --sync 1>/root/synclog 2>&1

This is on my slooow PII server. I then sync my myth box and laptop from this one whenever I feel the need.
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do my laptop and my gf's desktop every three months. I recently installed gentoo on my gf's laptop, and I'm going to help her update when the times come.

Bandwidth isn't free nor very fast here. I originally used to do it once a week, but I couldn't justify

1. Having to update large packages like openoffice for no real difference/advantage
2. Having to fix broken programs that I do use regularly for no advantage.
3. Having to update programs that I rarely use. Once a week.

I've been doing this for maybe 2 years. Have things changed? Do things just not up and break at random anymore?
BillyBoy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AidanJT wrote:
I just do a manual sync (eix-sync :) on my server when I need to install something or bother to check for updates, i could just do a daily cron on eix-sync and mail the update listing to myself, but meh, it's not important enough, i run an rsync mirror and http-replicator on the server to propigate portage updates and distfiles to clients. That way I don't waste bandwidth (my own, and gentoo infra) syncing 4+ machines a day, my server is a little slower than gentoos, but it wont kill me.

Same thing here. Every morning my server at work syncs with the Gentoo mirrors and then it's up to the clients on my LAN to sync against that server as they see fit. I have several Gentoo servers and workstations on the LAN, so it's a service I provide internally. If clients need a fresh sync, they can do it manually to the Gentoo servers, but all our "typically deployed" boxes point their rsync, http_proxy and distcc to my internal server. That way, I can provide Gentoo services for my whole company while taking the load off the real Gentoo mirrors.

From home, I port forward to this box, too, for the same services. My server at home then provides the same set of rsync, http_proxy and distcc, so the other machines at home can get the same benefits. I only update my home systems once a week at most, except if there's a security hole that troubles me, then I sync and update that night.
stobbsm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sync my desktop once a week, and sync my laptop off my desktop.

Gotta love local mirror (with everything I use on it).
bunkacid
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: easy updating Reply with quote

I on average will sync once a week, usualy on a friday just to keep up to date. Even if you have only two Gentoo boxes, you should make one of them a http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Local_Rsync_Mirror for the other machine. It will make things quicker.

If I have issues with some software, I'll sync on a more frequent basis. I try not to sync more than once a day. Although there has been a couple times, when I have sync'd and then later in the day noticed a package that I wanted has been updated, or added to the tree.

Instead of typing out a big long emerge command, I setup an alias in my .bash_aliases
Code:

alias qwerty='emerge --deep --newuse --update --verbose world --tree --ask '

Having this alias makes it a big easier/quicker to do a world update. Also with aliases in general, you can add other command switches to it from the command line. ex.
Code:

$ qwerty --pretend
deanpence
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<3 wrote:
Why do people feel the need to sync everyday? It just causes unnecessary strain on the servers.

Oh, the poor, poor servers! The strain! Are we talking about people here or machines? Or are you talking about the authoritative portage rsync servers? In that case, okay, I get it.

That being said, as a sysadmin of both a small home network and a very-high-availability, worldwide cluster of nearly a thousand gentoo machines, there are definitely arguments on both ends.

For my home network (of three machines), I sync every day, and I upgrade anything that can every day. There's no good reason to do this except that I can. While I may only do security upgrades at work (which are really not that often), at home I keep up with the latest packages and kernels (for both x86 and amd64), keep my portage chops up, and encounter problems with portage and/or ebuilds long before I would have to deal with them at work.

At work, however, with nearly 1,000 servers (and growing fast) that can never, ever go down for maintenance unless they're actually broken and that need every bit of CPU, RAM, and disk that they can get at all times--and that really should be running the exact same versions of all software--I can't afford the overhead of keeping all of my machines up-to-date with the latest and greatest in portage. However, I must make sure that I have the latest security releases. So, in this case, I sync my production image (not an HA part of the network) every day and have a cron job that sends me a list of every GLSA that applies to my production gentoo image.

However, there are two problems with this: Profiles get deprecated and removed, and when they do, unless I upgrade to a newer profile, portage becomes useless. I encountered this on some machines running the 2004.3 (I think) profile a while back. I had no reason whatsoever to upgrade to a newer profile. The image and all the software in it was stable. However, because I was synchronizing portage quite often, that profile disappeared, and that image became unusable without a profile upgrade (and potential toolchain upgrades I could not afford to make). Furthermore, maintainers often remove older ebuilds for no good reason. So while I may be running an older but perfectly secure and stable version of something, after every portage sync I run the risk of running into missing ebuilds (which really only affect me when installing binary packages on client machines, at which portage whines and complains).

My conclusion is this: Synchronizing every day is fine, but don't waste it. Get GLSA and available upgrade reports from it every time you sync. But for very large networks of gentoo machines, especially HA networks, it has its perils. Beware the deprecated profile. Further still, beware the disappearing ebuilds. Gentoo is definitely built for the cutting-edge and has yet to account for the stabilized HA network type of situation. Sysadmins like me who are required to have stability but despise the Debian older-than-dirt software route find themselves in a bit of a pickle.
deanpence
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MxxCon wrote:
every day first thing every morning i do 'esync -v'. it does 'emerge sync'(it should really be updated for --sync) and then 'eupdatedb' which at the end shows difference between current and previous sync. that way i can see what's U, N, MN, and I.

Aren't the esearch/eupdatedb utilities broken with the newest version of portage?
bunkacid
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deanpence wrote:
Aren't the esearch/eupdatedb utilities broken with the newest version of portage?

Yea, I started using the app-portage/eix utility for searching/syncing.
It's also a lot faster than eupdatedb when updating it's database, and showing you the new/changed packages.
Code:

$ eix-sync -v
zuesse
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Tis not the sync that matters! Neigh, 'tis the world that matters most!!!

sync daily if it floats your boat. This can give a nice view/contrast of where you are and where you'll be.
But the rubber hits the road when "emerge -uDv world."

I tend to emerge -uDv world or emerge -Dv world monthly

I also try to emerge -ev world quarterly (gets the kinks out).

doing --fetchonly before any update also helps

chiao
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zuesse wrote:
'Tis not the sync that matters! Neigh, 'tis the world that matters most!!!

sync daily if it floats your boat. This can give a nice view/contrast of where you are and where you'll be.
But the rubber hits the road when "emerge -uDv world."

I tend to emerge -uDv world or emerge -Dv world monthly

I also try to emerge -ev world quarterly (gets the kinks out).

doing --fetchonly before any update also helps

chiao

I tend to update packages as I see them, a month (or even a quater!) of not updating leaves you with an insane list of configs to compair/check/fix.
justwantstohelp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to sync every morning in the shower... oh, wait... cron job at night, everyday.
geniux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly once a week :wink:
400GB + 250GB Samsung SATAII HDD
Gentoo - BeyondSources 2.6.19-20
dice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I --sync and -auDv world every day, and I run ~amd64. Part of the reason I do this is because I'm mildly neurotic, but another part is that it allows me to help out in spotting and fixing bugs.

I'm relatively active on bugs.gentoo.org, there are many bug reports which I have either created, posted diagnostic info in, or posted fixes for. Reporting, diagnosing, or fixing bugs is part of how I try to contribute back to Gentoo and the OSS community in general. It helps me to feel like less of a leech for using all of this great software and not paying a dime for it ;)
shinadul
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My firewall never syncs, its still running gentoo 1.4 quite happily.

My webserver syncs bout 1ce a month and my other computers only when I spot something I really want/need.
Which mostly is once every 3-4 months.
electrofreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shinadul wrote:
My firewall never syncs, its still running gentoo 1.4 quite happily.

Insane. If you were to update that.... oh man. You'd definitely have troubles. But, I have to ask, what about security updates? And kernels?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: