xorg-x11 7
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haifischmade
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: xorg-x11 7 Reply with quote

Hi,
I just tried xorg-x11 7, well, to be honest, a desaster on my Ultra 5.
As I use it on gentoo-pcc I was keen on having the same realeases on my boxes.
Well, so I tried to upgrade to xorg 7.
The upgrade itself was running perfectly. Xorg 7 wasn't. My Ultra 5 got this ati mach64 card,
and, hm, how to say, if it starts and before it comes up it crashes the system.
It crashs it perfectly. No reboot possible, just the hard way on the back of the maschine.
I tried several things, well, no success.
The after 2 day of searching in the net, doing here and there, I decided to go back to 6.8.2-r6.
So I got 2 questions :
Is it right, that xorg-x11 6.9 and 7 are still the same only the 7 is modular and 6.9 is a monolith (build) ?
If so, 6.9 is masked for Sparc, 7 is not, 7 is avaible. Was there a so big progress ?
Has somene got it running (7) on an ultra 5 with ati mach ?

Cheers Frank
davidgurvich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are still issues to be worked out. There seem to be some problems, particularly with systems that are not so wide-spread. I would suggest feedback to the developers in bugs.gentoo.org would be quite helpful.
imotlaw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've *almost* got x11-7.0-r1 working; I've only got some keyboard issues left to figure out, and I'm hoping that https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-467727-highlight-xorgx11+modular+sparc.html will fix those for me. I'm also using an ultra 5; the only thing that was trouble for me was that I needed to use the VIDEO_DEVICES="mach64" tag (I think). Try this, let me know how it works for you. I'll keep you posted on mine.
imotlaw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Installed! Reply with quote

I have now managed to get xorg-x11-7.0-r1 working on my Ultra5. The installation went like this:
- First followed the instructions at http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/modular-x-howto.xml, the Migrate to Modular X HOWTO; this installed xorg-x11-7.1-something.
- The emerge was interrupted in the middle by the error I mention here:https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-475284-highlight-.html; following the instructions in the error message and then emerging again allows all packages to be installed.
- X didn't work; read some posts, got confused about what my video card was (I didn't know that the Ultra5's video card is referred to as a Mach64; I just used lspci, which reported it as an ati brand card. Many forum posts complain about ati not working in 7.1) and as a result downgraded to (my current version) xorg-x11-7.0-r1, making sure to use the setting VIDEO_CARDS="mach64". If you are trying this along with me, you must set this variable to this value, so that the emerge will pull in the necessary drivers for the Ultra5's video card.
- Now X comes up, but the keyboard was not right; following the instructions on this thread: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-467727-highlight-xorgx11+modular+sparc.html gets keyboard going just fine, and now everything is accomplished.

So, Haifischmade, try the above, and let me know what happens. What wm do you use? I'm using fluxbox, with gdm as my login manager (or xdm; I can't really remember right now, and I'm not at home). Also, not that it'll mean tons and tons to a novice like me, you should post your emerge --info on the principle that it could be important for more experienced people who might run into your post. I'm very interested to see what happens with your system; please post your results.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: