Newbie: Kernel Panic
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robbyjo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 4:08 am    Post subject: Newbie: Kernel Panic Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a newbie in Linux. I used Linux sometimes, but I've never actually build everything from scratch like in Gentoo.

I emerged gentoo-sources and I enabled the stuffs I needed. My system is:
- Athlon XP 1900+ (1.6 GHz)
- ABIT Mobo KX7-333R
- RAM 2 GB
- HDD 120GB x 2
- NVidia GForce 4 Ti 4600
- SB Live
- Kingston Ethernet network (Tulip)
- CDRW/DVD combo

I used ext3 for my file system. I install Linux in my hdb. My hda is for WinXP -- so, I planned a dual boot.

At first I booted up with Gentoo CD (1.4 rc3), it hangs up until I rebooted and entered mem=896M. Then everything is okay up to the kernel compilation step. The compilation itself is okay, but when I boot, it throws out Kernel Panic at sched.c (I think is line 568). I only enabled -O2 optimization.

I thought it was due to low latency scheduler patch -- so I disabled both low latency patch and preempt stuff. I left only standard stuffs on just to make my hardware running. I also set the memory limit to 4 GB (instead of the default "off") and user space to default at 3 GB. Yet the kernel panic persists.

I really don't know what to do. I tried to install Mandrake 9.0 and 9.1 -- also kernel panic, but that's another story.

I have been using Mandrake 6.2 too and have compiled kernels, X, and KDE myself years ago. I just never come into this situation. Can anyone help? Thanks.

-- Roby
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what may be causing your kernel panics, but compiling a kernel does not use your cflags in the /etc/make.conf file. It uses cflags set in the kernel config or make file. I also know that the tulip driver and scsi do not like each other for some reason and cause boot problems. Add noscsi to the install cd boot prompt

Code:
  boot > gentoo noscsi

also add noscsi to your grub.conf kernel line. It will eliminate any misbehavior between these two.

Brian
robbyjo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, but it doesn't solve the problem yet...
robbyjo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I researched the web:
http://www.freelists.org/archives/huskerlug/12-2002/msg00018.html

It said that compiling SCSI as a module (instead of straight to kernel) might be a problem. I'll try this one.
3vilinside
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie: Kernel Panic Reply with quote

robbyjo wrote:
Hi,

I'm a newbie in Linux. ...

I have been using Mandrake 6.2 too and have compiled kernels, X, and KDE myself years ago.

Really a newbie? :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: