Gentoo and SunRay on Sparc
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomatopi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Gentoo and SunRay on Sparc Reply with quote

I've just inherited a Sun Ultra 10 Creative workstation and four SunRays. I was hoping there was a way of being able to run Gentoo on Sparc and use the SunRays as clients. However, Sun's site only shows the SunRay Server for Sparc/Solaris and Linux/x86 available for download. Is it possible to run Gentoo on Sparc and still use the SunRays as clients? Gentoo is my OS of preference since I have lots of Gentoo Servers already running and adding Solaris in the mix just confuses me.

This will be my first real jump in the Linux on Sparc world (tried it once way back on a Netra i and another Linux and it wasn't worth the effort). I'm looking forward to this working.

Thanks
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember how the SunRays work correctly, basically they are a think-client that connects to a server that the Sun server software for the SunRays supports. Having said that, if you install the software on an x86 Gentoo box, the environment the SunRays end up with should be a Gentoo one.
tomatopi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I will have to check it out. I wanted to try testing SunRay Server on Gentoo Sparc, but I have my doubts that Sun would make a Linux/Sparc version available and release only Solaris/Sparc and Linux/x86.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: