thinkpad active protection support
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gEry
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: thinkpad active protection support Reply with quote

hi im looking for a way to get my harddrive protection running.
I know this website: http://hdaps.sourceforge.net/
I tried to install the source, but the compiling hdaps-20050825-02/kernel by typing make, i get this error:
Quote:
error: `platform_bus_type' undeclared here (not in a function)
hdaps-20050825-02/kernel/hdaps.c:319: error: initializer element is not constant
hdaps-20050825-02/kernel/hdaps.c:319: error: (near initialization for `hdaps_driver.bus')
hdaps-20050825-02/kernel/hdaps.c:320: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
hdaps-20050825-02/kernel/hdaps.c:323: error: variable `hdaps_plat_dev' has initializer but incomplete type
hdaps-20050825-02/kernel/hdaps.c:324: error: unknown field `name' specified in initializer
hdaps-20050825-02/kernel/hdaps.c:324: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
hdaps-20050825-02/kernel/hdaps.c:324: warning: (near initialization for `hdaps_plat_dev')
hdaps-20050825-02/kernel/hdaps.c:325: error: unknown field `id' specified in initializer
hdaps-20050825-02/kernel/hdaps.c:325: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
hdaps-20050825-02/kernel/hdaps.c:325: warni

Does someone know, what i miss?

Or else a way to get that running?
Philantrop
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdaps basically seems to be unmaintained. I took a look at that error (which I could reproduce) and found a solution to get it compiled but I can't guarantee, of course, it will work as expected. I don't own a ThinkPad so you'll have to try yourself.

Below you'll find a patch to hdaps.c in the "kernel" directory. Basically, you just have to add the line prefixed by the plus ("+") sign. Then try compiling it again.

Code:
--- hdaps.c~    2005-08-26 03:22:43.000000000 +0200
+++ hdaps.c     2006-06-16 09:14:44.000000000 +0200
@@ -34,6 +34,7 @@
 #include <linux/module.h>
 #include <linux/timer.h>
 #include <linux/spinlock.h>
+#include <linux/platform_device.h>
 #include <asm/io.h>

#define HDAPS_LOW_PORT         0x1600  /* first port used by accelerometer */
gEry
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi.

yeah, that helped - i got it compiled. i loaded the driver and installed the gkrellm plugin, which gave me some data. but i guess there were totaly wrong. something there didn't work correctly. After rebooting and testing all again i had the problem, that the system was not able to take any inputs. No mouse, no keyboard... :S

Any idea? I guess that happened because this got never finished... - why??

Btw how did you found out, which library wasnt included?
Philantrop
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gEry wrote:
yeah, that helped - i got it compiled. i loaded the driver and installed the gkrellm plugin, which gave me some data. but i guess there were totaly wrong. something there didn't work correctly.

Well, hdaps hasn't been updated for almost a year and until someone comes along to work on it you should not expect to get it to work.

gEry wrote:
After rebooting and testing all again i had the problem, that the system was not able to take any inputs. No mouse, no keyboard... :S
Any idea? I guess that happened because this got never finished... - why??

No, sorry, no idea. You might check the sf.net project, its forums, etc. Maybe you'll find some information there. I don't have access to any ThinkPad so I can help you get this stuff compiled but running it is something completely different.

gEry wrote:
Btw how did you found out, which library wasnt included?

Actually, it's just a header file. I simply examined the kernel sources and found out in which header file "platform_bus_type" is declared. Including it let the compiler find it and thus the kernel module could be compiled.
gEry
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
compiled but running it is something completely different.

Yeah true...

Quote:
Actually, it's just a header file. I simply examined the kernel sources and found out in which header file "platform_bus_type" is declared. Including it let the compiler find it and thus the kernel module could be compiled.

Heh, lol, i thought you took this way... i was to tired yesterday :S...

Anyway.. thanks for your help!

cheers

gery
Specialized
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hdaps-driver for thinkpads is in the kernel. I don't know, when the support started, but it is supported in gentoo-sources-2.6.16.
Code:
 Device-drivers->Hardware Monitoring Support->IBM Hard Drive Active Protection System (hdaps)

But the patch for the 2.6.16-Kernel, which activates the disk-protection does not work for me.
[/code]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: