Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
why "libtool: link: warning: ... seems to be moved"?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcljr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: why "libtool: link: warning: ... seems to be moved" Reply with quote

I swear I read something in these forums about this (or a problem very much like it) once, but I can't find it again.

First some background: I just upgraded to gcc-3.4.6 from gcc-3.3.6, following the revdep-rebuild option (trying to avoid emerge -e system and emerge -e world if at all possible), and had some issues (like gedit failing on startup) that required me to redo some of the steps and follow some other suggestions I found elsewhere in the forums.

Everything seems to be working now, but the last time I (re)emerged nautilus I noticed the following (non-fatal) warnings:
Code:
libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.6/../../..//libgtk-x11-2.0.la' seems to be moved
libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.6/../../..//libgdk-x11-2.0.la' seems to be moved
libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.6/../../..//libatk-1.0.la' seems to be moved
libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.6/../../..//libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.la' seems to be moved
libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.6/../../..//libpangocairo-1.0.la' seems to be moved
libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.6/../../..//libpango-1.0.la' seems to be moved
libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.6/../../..//libcairo.la' seems to be moved
libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.6/../../..//libgnomevfs-2.la' seems to be moved
libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.6/../../..//libbonobo-2.la' seems to be moved
libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.6/../../..//libgconf-2.la' seems to be moved
libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.6/../../..//libgobject-2.0.la' seems to be moved
libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.6/../../..//libbonobo-activation.la' seems to be moved
libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.6/../../..//libORBit-2.la' seems to be moved
libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.6/../../..//libgmodule-2.0.la' seems to be moved
libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.6/../../..//libgthread-2.0.la' seems to be moved
libtool: link: warning: `/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.6/../../..//libglib-2.0.la' seems to be moved

Is this something I should worry about? Should I re-emerge the indicated packages? I've already used fix_libtool_files.sh and emerged libstdc++-v3, as recommended.

Note that the emerge didn't fail, but I don't believe that means everything is hunky-dory. Can someone explain to me (or point me to an explanation of) what's going on when you see those warnings?

- dcljr
!equilibrium
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: why "libtool: link: warning: ... seems to be moved& Reply with quote

dcljr wrote:
Note that the emerge didn't fail, but I don't believe that means everything is hunky-dory. Can someone explain to me (or point me to an explanation of) what's going on when you see those warnings?

you can safely ignore it ;)

all my contents are released under the Creative Commons Licence by-nc-nd 2.5
dcljr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you can safely ignore it

Well, that's reassuring, I guess, but I've noticed more and more of these libtoool: warnings as I've been going though the logs of ebuilds since my post above. In fact, when evolution last got emerged, it generated a whopping 2,400 such warnings. And, as I was monitoring the process "live", I noticed that each batch of 20-30 warnings seemed to add a few seconds to the build process. That can add up to several minutes of (I assume) wasted time during an emerge -uDvp world. Even if it's harmless, is there something I can do to prevent it (i.e., fix the problem, not just hide the warnings)?

- dcljr
dcljr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see if I can answer my own question: Is ldconfig what I'm looking for??

- dcljr
!equilibrium
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcljr wrote:
Even if it's harmless, is there something I can do to prevent it (i.e., fix the problem, not just hide the warnings)?

the warning are produced by the gcc, so if you want to fix them, you need to fix the source code:
- found the point where the code produce the warning
- try to understand what is the cause that produce the warning
- fix the code
- do a patch
- collect all the patches and send them to bugs.gentoo.org so the gentoo devels can apply them to the ebuilds and upstream.

Sbriglie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!equilibrium wrote:
dcljr wrote:
Even if it's harmless, is there something I can do to prevent it (i.e., fix the problem, not just hide the warnings)?

the warning are produced by the gcc, so if you want to fix them, you need to fix the source code:
- found the point where the code produce the warning
- try to understand what is the cause that produce the warning
- fix the code
- do a patch
- collect all the patches and send them to bugs.gentoo.org so the gentoo devels can apply them to the ebuilds and upstream.

It's not a matter of source code, but of libraries that have effectively changed location, so libtool is right. I looked around and there does not seem to be a solution to this annoying slowdown in compilations
!equilibrium
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sbriglie wrote:
It's not a matter of source code, but of libraries that have effectively changed location, so libtool is right. I looked around and there does not seem to be a solution to this annoying slowdown in compilations

i was not talking about the source code of the software that generate the warnings during compilation time, but about the libtool source code, find the bug into libtool and fix it :wink:

apparently the problem seem that the link is correct, but libtool is not able to understand path with '//' (double slashes); in other circustances the path is properly wrong, and the libdb must be updated, but for this situation there is not a real solution.

Sbriglie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!equilibrium wrote:
Sbriglie wrote:

i was not talking about the source code of the software that generate the warnings during compilation time, but about the libtool source code, find the bug into libtool and fix it :wink:

apparently the problem seem that the link is correct, but libtool is not able to understand path with '//' (double slashes); in other circustances the path is properly wrong, and the libdb must be updated, but for this situation there is not a real solution.

Ok, now I understand what you were saying. Certainly it's not easy to dig into libtool/gcc source code, anyway :evil:
dcljr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so then it's not something I need to change about my system. The warning makes it sound like my system is to blame...

- dcljr
episodeiv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to be a case of false positives. I found this when looking into this as I had the same problems, especially with evolution.
The patch has obviously not gone into Gentoo's libtool yet so let's just wait and hope :o)
Dennis
tedj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only place I see that error is in the shell script, ltmain.

Code:
gentoo-laptop libtool-1.5.22 # find . -print | xargs grep "seems to be moved"
./ltmain.in:                $echo "$modename: warning: \`$deplib' seems to be moved" 1>&2
./ltmain.sh:                $echo "$modename: warning: \`$deplib' seems to be moved" 1>&2
./libltdl/ltmain.sh:                $echo "$modename: warning: \`$deplib' seems to be moved" 1>&2

Small section of code around that area...
Code:
            for deplib in $dependency_libs; do
              case $deplib in
              -L*) path="$deplib" ;;
              *.la)
                dir=`$echo "X$deplib" | $Xsed -e 's%/[^/]*$%%'`
                test "X$dir" = "X$deplib" && dir="."
                # We need an absolute path.
                case $dir in
                [\\/]* | [A-Za-z]:[\\/]*) absdir="$dir" ;;
                *)
                  absdir=`cd "$dir" && pwd`
                  if test -z "$absdir"; then
                    $echo "$modename: warning: cannot determine absolute directory name of \`$dir'" 1>&2
                    absdir="$dir"
                  fi
                  ;;
                esac
                if grep "^installed=no" $deplib > /dev/null; then
                  path="$absdir/$objdir"
                else
                  eval libdir=`${SED} -n -e 's/^libdir=\(.*\)$/\1/p' $deplib`
                  if test -z "$libdir"; then
                    $echo "$modename: \`$deplib' is not a valid libtool archive" 1>&2
                    exit $EXIT_FAILURE
                  fi
                  if test "$absdir" != "$libdir"; then
                    $echo "$modename: warning: \`$deplib' seems to be moved" 1>&2
                  fi
                  path="$absdir"
                fi

Seems that a quick fix for removing double slashies from $deplib might work.

I've not looked too deep at this yet.
crazy-bee
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see that problem fixed, if it is just a libtool problem, it shouldnt be that hard. I am seeing this messages for ages, and I see them alot, and they definitly slow down the building of packages.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: