Ultra 5 with kernel 2.4.32 - TCP does not work
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
godzilla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Ultra 5 with kernel 2.4.32 - TCP does not work Reply with quote

I am trying to install Gentoo on Sun Ultra 5:
booted from universal CD (2006.0), installed stage 3, compiled gentoo-sources-2.4.32. There is no problem booting my kernel or seeing all devices (well, for now all I care about is CD, HDD, NIC).
The real interesting thing is that I can ping anything on internet, but cannot connect via HTTP/FTP/RSYNC - connections just time out. It looks like there is something wrong with TCP... When I boot from CD and chroot - everything works fine (right now typing this message in links in chrooted environment). I saw a posting on this forum about something similar - someone was saying that links/whois did not work during the installation, but I could not find a specific reason, nor a solution other than "it works once you done installing". I tried emerge --sync and emerge --update world but it did not help - still have to boot from CD and croot in order to use anything more complex than ICMP.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what did I do wrong and how to fix it ?
Thank you.
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you may have Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) enabled in your Networking options in your kernel config.

A quick way to check is to run
Code:
cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

If it returns 1, then ECN is enabled. A quick fix would be to run:
Code:
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

Ultimately though, if this is the problem, you'd probably want to disable it in your kernel config and rebuild your kernel.
godzilla
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right. It is built into the kernel (I have not tried to turn it off, though - I am away from that system).
Can you explain to me what it is for and how does it work ?
Also, do you think there is a specific reason it was configured on in default kernel configuration (I do not think I was changing anything in TCP/IP section during my configuration)?

thanks.
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know about it is what is in the help option in for it in the kernel. As for why it is enabled by default, that's the kernel's default setting (we don't change that when we patch the kernel to make sparc-sources).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: