netmount, eth0 not found
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuckles
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:15 pm    Post subject: netmount, eth0 not found Reply with quote

my network worked while instlling gentoo but upon the first reboot it fails to work. ifconfig only reports lo. that eth0 is an unknown interface: device not found. how can i activate eth0? its a realtek chip if that helps.
Orange
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 5:33 am    Post subject: RE: netmount, eth0 not found Reply with quote

Chuckles wrote:
my network worked while instlling gentoo but upon the first reboot it fails to work. ifconfig only reports lo. that eth0 is an unknown interface: device not found. how can i activate eth0? its a realtek chip if that helps.

You need to make sure that you include the proper drivers for your ethernet card in your kernel
make menuconfig
Network-->
Network Devices -->
ETH 10 100-->
and then select whatever chip set your ethernet cards uses and probably compile it as a module. I think the menus I listed might be incorrect but I know it's something similar to it. Hope this helps
gop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the same problem right now, someone suggested to me to boot with the livecd and " dmesg |less" and check for which module loaded on boot, and check for the eth0 line, or try lsmod and see if you can find the ethernet driver. If you have a linksys lne100tx or whatever it is, cant remember off the top of my head, then you use the tulip driver.
Hope that helps....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: