Query on emerge and USE flags dependency [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cynos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Query on emerge and USE flags dependency [solved] Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just getting up and running in Gentoo, and emerged KDE last night. This morning, had a look, and it had failed at kdenetwork because it needed qt3 to be compiled with the USE flag opengl.

So, I tried emerging XFCE4 which failed because it needed the USE flag X in... gtk I think it was? Not entirely sure at this point.

So, this raises two questions for me -

• Is there a way to pick-up an emerge half-way through? I figure using this list I can figure out how far through the process got and emerge what's necessary separately, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel due to lack of knowledge
  • Is there a way to determine dependencies on specific USE flags? The docs for KDE mention qt3/qt4 and kde, but not opengl.

Forgive me if this is documented somewhere and I've missed it, if this is the case, a link to the appropriate area would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Cynos on Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
m_spidey
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There

First questions

Quote:
Is there a way to pick-up an emerge half-way through? I figure using this list I can figure out how far through the process got and emerge what's necessary separately, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel due to lack of knowledge

If you mean 1/2 way through compiling a package you want to resume compiling what ever object you were initially compiling then no.

Code:
emerge --resume

or
Code:
emerge --resume --skipfirst
this one skips the package you were on and does the next one.

Quote:
Is there a way to determine dependencies on specific USE flags? The docs for KDE mention qt3/qt4 and kde, but not opengl.

This one is a bit more hazy and I have no clear answer for. I don't think there is but i'm happy to be corrected.
madisonicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's never easy to know when or why a large emerge will fail. However, going to bed or leaving for work will invariably cause a failed emerge, usually within minutes of being away from the computer. :roll:

Sorry if some of this is too basic, it's unclear to me right off the bat how much experience you have. On big emerges like kde, I always use -ptv to see what will get emerged and what USE flags are on/off for each package. Then I try to go through any of those packages that look like they may be tricky.

Until you get your USE flags refined, that will be a bit tough to figure out. Like every other stage of initial Gentoo installation, the key is to read, read, read, and read.... then not to be too concerned when things fail. :wink: Because they will fail until you've worked things out once or twice.

However, there are tools like app-portage/euses and euse (part of app-portage/gentoolkit) that greatly simplify the process of figuring out what keywords to what to which packages. The gentoo-portage website is another helpful tool too.

Also, there's the all-important emerge --resume and emerge --resume --skipfirst commands. If an emerge fails and you think you've fixed the problem, just do an emerge --resume and it will start from the package that it last failed on. If, however, you just can't figure out what the heck is wrong with that package, you can do an emerge --resume --skipfirst and portage will skip the first package on the list and go to the next one. You can do that as many times as you like, although each failed emerge makes it more and more likely that you will have big problems when you're done.

When you do emerge or re-emerge single packages in an effort to fix problems with another package, not because you want that package by itself, it's usually best practice to do what's called an emerge --oneshot which will emerge the package but not add it to your world file. Here's a bit of the reasoning why: if the world file has only the end set of packages that you want, you can let portage figure out the best way to get there. If, on the other hand, your world file has entries for dependencies you can end up keeping useless packages around or even worse an incompatibility with a replacement package.

Finally, normally USE flags like X and opengl are set in your profile. What does ls -FGg /etc/make.profile show? Did you set a profile during the installation? If not, definitely review this section in the guide to make sure you've got the appropriate one.

HTH,
m
Samsung x360
AMD64 x2 4200+ * TF7050-M2 * HTPC
ZOTAC ION A-U Mini-ITX * HTPC
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Query on emerge and USE flags dependency (Gentoo newbie) Reply with quote

Cynos wrote:
[*]Is there a way to pick-up an emerge half-way through?

emerge --pretend --quiet <foo> | cut -d] -f2 | cut -d' ' -f2 >> package_list is my workaround for system and world sets. Otherwise a new emerge --update --deep after caring for use flag changes suffices.

Cynos wrote:
[*]Is there a way to determine dependencies on specific USE flags? The docs for KDE mention qt3/qt4 and kde, but not opengl.

Unfortuately not. It's one of the biggest issues with Portage, that it doesn't deal with use dependencies, yet and the reason why the one or the other ebuild bails out, in the first place.
Cynos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much all - firstly, I had indeed got the wrong profile - I had read this in the install docs

Quote:

The default profile will provide you with a Linux 2.6-based system. This is the recommended default, but you have the option of choosing another profile too.

and decided not to mess with it and moved on - which was a mistake. I've now changed to use the desktop profile, which includes all the necessary flags (X, opengl) etc. So yeah, totally my bad. Probably doesn't help doing this at 1am in the morning.

And, I just learnt a lot more about using emerge effectively. :-) Now to configure KDE.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: