Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Playing amarok over NAS (Network Audio System)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickrout
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Playing amarok over NAS (Network Audio System) Reply with quote

I've just spent the day puzzling over this. Good thing work is cancelled today due to snow.

amaroK has all the appearance of a great audio player. I have installed it on my desktop. My desktop has OK speakers, but across the other side of the room is my headless media computer attached to a great set of Logitech 5.1 kick_the_shit_out_of_the_neighbours speakers with the ginormous bass reflex and THX certification. So, how to get the sound across the room?

I am already using nas on the media pc, its a daemon that receives network audio and puts it out the soundcard, and I can connect to it with xmms using media-plugins/xmms-nas. However I couldn't immediately get it to work with amaroK so i thought I'd write it down for others to see (and for me to look back on if I ever need to do it again).

amaroK can output to a number of sound "engines". The common available engines are xine and gstreamer. Each of xine and gstreamer can output to a number of sound systems, like oss, alsa, esd etc. Xine doesn't appear to have any way of directly outputting to nas, but gstreamer has a nas plugin. Unfortunately there is no official ebuild for the gstreamer nas plugin in the portage tree.

There is an ebuild for gst-plugins-nas at https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=86016 but it is for version 0.8.8. My system has gst-plugins-0.8.11 and the versions have to match.

So... after all that explanation heres the howto. I hope I haven't left anything out:

0. make sure amarok was built with gstreamer support, theres a gstreamer USE flag for the amaroK build so make sure it was set when you emerged amarok.

1. download the ebuild for gst-plugins-nas-0.8.8 from https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=86016 and place it in /usr/local/portage/media-libs/gst-plugins-nas/ . Then rename it to gst-plugins-nas-0.8.11. You need to have overlays turned on in portage, this isn't the place for a howto on that.

2. copy a file from the real portage tree to the overlay. This is needed because the location of this file is specified in the gst-plugins eclass as relative to the location of the ebuild, so it needs to be in the overlay:

Code:
mkdir -p /usr/local/portage/media-libs/gst-plugins/files/
cp /usr/portage/media-libs/gst-plugins/files/gst-plugins-0.8.11-conffix.patch usr/local/portage/media-libs/gst-plugins/files/gst-plugins-0.8.11-conffix.patch

3. unmask the new ebuild:

Code:
echo "media-libs/gst-plugins-nas ~x86" >> /etc/portage/packages.keywords

4. and build it:

Code:
emerge -digest -av gst-plugins-nas

5. Now if amarok is running you need to restart it, right click the little gizmo in the panel and choose Quit. Start it again and choose "Settings|Configure amaroK" from the menu. Choose "Engine' and select the Gstreamer engine, and click apply. the gstreamer options will now appear. As output plugin choose "nassink". Click the "parameters" check box and type the address of the server in the text box. IMPORTANT: the format is "host=tcp/server:port" (without the quotes). The tcp/ bit is important and a big puzzle until you work it out.

6 When you play music in amaroK it should now pump out the machine that has the nas server sitting on it. Cool huh?[/code]
joh3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject: thankyou!!!! Reply with quote

this was just what i was looking for!

thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: