Conky disappears all the time?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d4mo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Conky disappears all the time? Reply with quote

I'm running kde and I recently installed conky. When I am looking at my desktop conky is there for like 10 seconds and then it totally disappears for a couple of seconds and then comes back again. Whats up with that?
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try enabling double buffering.
d4mo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I copied the conkyrc into my home directory. Conky doesn't disappear now...but it makes my deskop icons hidden :S

If I drag a square around them I can see them but after I deselct them they disappear again.
vPat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

add ....
Code:
>=app-admin/conky-1.4.2

To your /etc/portage/package.keywords and then re-emerge conky and restart it. Should fix alot of the issues with conky.
d4mo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vPat wrote:
add ....
Code:
>=app-admin/conky-1.4.2

To your /etc/portage/package.keywords and then re-emerge conky and restart it. Should fix alot of the issues with conky.

Nope it didn't help :(

The icons are still gone unless I click on them
d4mo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I did some testing. I don't typically keep icons, etc on my desktop (when I use kde) so I wasn't seeing this behaviour you described.

To be able to see your icons again, set the following options in your conkyrc:
Code:
own_window no
on_bottom yes
double_buffer no

That will make your icons reappear, but conky will write on top of icons, and so it will look ugly. Moreover, there may be flicker since double buffering is off.

Other option you have is: reposition conky to some other portion of the screen so that it doesn't overlap with the icons.
d4mo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
Ok, I did some testing. I don't typically keep icons, etc on my desktop (when I use kde) so I wasn't seeing this behaviour you described.

To be able to see your icons again, set the following options in your conkyrc:
Code:
own_window no
on_bottom yes
double_buffer no

That will make your icons reappear, but conky will write on top of icons, and so it will look ugly. Moreover, there may be flicker since double buffering is off.

Other option you have is: reposition conky to some other portion of the screen so that it doesn't overlap with the icons.

That made the icons stay but like you said it flickers which is really annoying.

The other thing is, is that I have conky on the right side of my screen and my icons are on the left side, so I don't see where else I could position it to make it work. It must use the whole screen size or something.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I see your point. Using double buffer and own_window set to no, conky seems to take up the entire desktop to draw.
Instead if I use own_window yes, own_window transparent and double_buffer then conky appears in its own window but with a black background. But now, the icons do show up.

There is a hack around this. It is inconvenient if you have different wallpapers in different desktops. However, if you keep the same wallpaper background in all the desktops, then use some tool to set the root window background with the same image as your desktop background. For eg, if you use feh, you could give a command like this:
Code:
feh --bg-scale <path to desktop wallpaper>
If you use display (obtained from the imagemagick package), then you could do something like this:
Code:
display -resize 1152x864! -window root <path to desktop wallpaper>
where 1152x864 is your desktop geometry. You could automate this entire procedure, so that the root background is automatically set when you login (example using feh):
Code:
feh --bg-scale `dcop kdesktop KBackgroundIface currentWallpaper 1`
Here, 1 represents your desktop 1. Put the above code in a script in ~/.kde/Autostart folder to apply the root window wallpaper automatically on login.
mynameistaken
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this website: http://thio4linux.wordpress.com/category/kde/ which suggests the following:

Quote:

If you have the same problem modify .conkyrc in this way:
own_window 1
own_window_type override
own_window_transparent 1

Which seems to work for me. Although very oddly there seems to be some sort of link between the top left of the conky display and the top left of my monitor. I have conky in the top right corner, but double clicking (or any mouse action) in the top left of my conky display causes the same action in the top left of my monitor.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: