did Portage break itself?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Analyser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: did Portage break itself? Reply with quote

First off, sorry for the rather unhelpful subject, but I couldn't think of a better description...

Anyway, just now I decided to update my system again, the last time being at least two weeks ago. I ran emerge rsync, and everything looked just peachy, but emerge -up world breaks with the following output:

Code:
root@gandalf:~> emerge -up world

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating world dependencies /
!!! all ebuilds that could satisfy ">=media-libs/fontconfig-2.1-r1" have been masked.
!!!    (dependency required by "x11-libs/xft-2.0.1-r2" [ebuild])

To clarify, yesterday (so before the emerge rsync) I emerged perl-tk, and that went just fine. So just for kicks, I just tried pretend-emerging xpdf, and went OK, so I -can- install new software.

I've already reran emerge rsync, in the hopes of fetching a proper portage tree from a different server, but the problem persists.

I tried searching the forums for anything on fontconfig, but that didn't turn up anything related, so I seem to be the only one. Does anyone have a clue? Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks in advance,
Analyser.
David_Escott
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

give it some more time, this will eventually get fixed, it takes some time for changes to filter down the mirrors.
Analyser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll just try it again in a couple of days then. Thanks for putting me at ease; I thought I might've broken my system..! :)
nikai
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your question was completely adequate. I can see such quirks in portage once in a while, especially on ppc.

It would be cool to have some sort of sanity checks wading through portage to prevent exactly such inconsistencies.
abhishek
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikai wrote:
I think your question was completely adequate. I can see such quirks in portage once in a while, especially on ppc.

It would be cool to have some sort of sanity checks wading through portage to prevent exactly such inconsistencies.
If the insanaties that you are reffering to are corrupt ebuilds, portage now has this fixed. The digest now contains an md5sum of the ebuild itself.
nikai
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very good news, however I rather meant in terms of dependancies:
Code:
!!! all ebuilds that could satisfy ">=media-libs/fontconfig-2.1-r1" have been masked.
!!!    (dependency required by "x11-libs/xft-2.0.1-r2" [ebuild])

The question is, how come A is masked, but required by B?

In an ideal portage tree there would be only dependancies defined in a way to make that impossible to happen. Feeding a new ebuild into the tree you could tell instantly whether it would break any dependancy or not, and modify them accordingly. When a package gets masked for whatever reason, dozens of dependancies automagicaly resolve themselves... OK, that's maybe SF...

Would be nice, but it's surely very difficult to get there.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: