Sparc Gentoo IRC server?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
midnightlightning
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Sparc Gentoo IRC server? Reply with quote

I had an idea that I could use one of my old Sparc boxes as an IRC server for some local network chums, but a quick look through Portage doesn't show any that are currently flagged for "sparc" (though net-irc/ultimate has been historically "~sparc", but the most recent is hard masked due to "Major changes, needs more testing". That note is from 2005, so don't know when that's going to happen...). So, is there anyone who's running a local IRC server off their Gentoo-ed Sparc? If so, what package are you using?
midnightlightning
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah, fie on me for not searching the forums first: I see there's an older (a year ago) topic on this over at here too.

From that post, I see that the dancer-ircd is still set to "~sparc", as is unrealircd. Any suggestions from the peanut gallery as well? Or should I not even try with a 100 Mhz Sparc server?
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chances are they are probably fine for running on a stable box and we just haven't gotten around to stablizing any of them yet. Basically if there isn't a user demand for a package or we aren't pinged to stablize it by the Gentoo maintainer of the package, then it may sit around a while like you noticed.

If it does appear to work well for you, feel free to file a bug at https://bugs.gentoo.org and let us know :)
confusion
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running a stable unrealircd server on my U5 now for around 2 months, give or take, with no problems whatsoever and only one (software unrelated) reboot. We don't have much traffic, we typically see between 10-20 users, sometimes up to around 30... but so far no worries whatsoever from unreal. Also running anope irc services.

confusion
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: