simple server/internet gateway HOWTO
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 5:56 am    Post subject: simple server/internet gateway HOWTO Reply with quote

when the gentoo team has the time, could you put together a doc on how to use gentoo to serve webpages or maybe use gentoo as an internet router for a home network?

my dad has a p3 500 that he's going to slap NT on and use it as a fileserver rather than hand it down to me to replace my tired old p233 :(

i figure if i can use gentoo to create a kickass fileserver w/ samba and all that i can use my tired p233 as the fileserver and run a personal gentoo on that p3!!

not for personal gain of course ;) just... yeah... shh!

ryan
Vlad
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm. It's not really their responsiblity or their priority to provide you with a howto on configuring samba or apache. If you want to install them, fine, emerge samba apache - but if you want to configure them, either RTFM or find search google for a howto.
Peitolm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 8:20 pm    Post subject: Documentation suggestions Reply with quote

As a member of the Documentation team, i'm more than happy to take such suggestions on board,.. there will soon be some more documents targets at using gentoo in a home server enviroment,.. and if you have any comments, make a note and see what appears,.. (you could always post a suggestion on bugs.gentoo.org in the documentation section, i can't promise they will get done,.. but the request will be read and noted :D )

Colin Morey, Aka Peitolm@gentoo.org
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont have to be so mean :(

yes, im aware that gentoo dev arent responsible for my setting up a server :) that's why this is the "gentoo suggestions" forum and not the "gentoo demands" forum.

from what i see, gentoo uses different config files for networking and the like, so i couldnt use past knowledge from say redhat or suse to configure gentoo. and since gentoo isn't widely known just yet searching google would be fruitless. yes, quite fruitless. i've tried to get help with gpm for example and the only thing that came up were redhat docs (yes, i specified gentoo even.)

i look forward to whatever the gentoo team has in store and wish the best for the distro as a whole :D gentoo is by far my new fav distro hands down!

thanks guys! you're the greatest.

ryan
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: