View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsuru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:05 pm    Post subject: Asian Language Input Reply with quote

Has anyone gotten / tried to get Japanese or any other asian language input working in Gentoo? Currently it is not problem to view things such as websites in kanji but I really would like to be able to send e-mail or write documents, maybe even a little gimp work :) with kanji/ kana.

I tried myself to hunt down the packages that seem to be used by the more "mainstream" distros and was amazed that it these packages (kinput2, canna, wnn, kterm) didn't seem to have any development done in at best one year but sometimes up to 4 years. Which lead me to wonder: What's up with that? Are these systems superstable and without need of maintenance/ upgrade? If not, surely there hasn't been a lack of interest especially from those in Japan, Korea, China, Tailand etc....

Furthermore the current HOW-TOs on the subject of kanji input seems to be as outdated or non-existent :(

Does anyone have any pointers as to finding the documentation or latest source that applies to more recent Gnu/linux implementations? Furthermore is there anyone else out there interested in this?

I love how much Gentoo is progressing and I know that we are in the midst of some growing pains.... but after witnessing how fast GentooPPC got implemented I am hoping maybe the same speed will be witnessed in getting Gentoo speaking some Japanese, Chinese, Korean etc :)

thanks

tsuru
mihochan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to get 'canna' compiled on my machine and then
produce an ebuild for it but so far without success.

Have you had any luck?

Tom
BillyD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the thread in "All things Gentoo" on Japanese. There is a link to a beta ebuild for canna and kinput2. Still doesn't work properly, but the more people that test it the better. Included in the ebuild is an effective solution - Japanese input into emacs. It is not perfect yet, however better than nothing at the moment.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: