Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
md5sum behaves strange - hardware broken?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
procelain
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: md5sum behaves strange - hardware broken? Reply with quote

I was trying to install gentoo on a used Intel box, but I could not even get the stage tarball unpacked. Verifying the md5sum of the downloaded file showed, that the computed checksum was (most of the time) correct, but sometimes not.
So I ran system diagnostics tools like CPU-chache check, HD read check, memory check and all the other stuff. (Un)fortunately, I got no errors.
Checking the md5sum in Windows (shame on me) produces the same results (apart from that Win seems to be even more unstable than else).

Can anybody figure out, what the problem is? It must be the hardware - but which part?
Could it be the CPU? The check did not really compute anything, it only tested the cache. Or is it the motherboard?..
bjlockie
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: md5sum behaves strange - hardware broken? Reply with quote

procelain wrote:
I was trying to install gentoo on a used Intel box, but I could not even get the stage tarball unpacked. Verifying the md5sum of the downloaded file showed, that the computed checksum was (most of the time) correct, but sometimes not.
So I ran system diagnostics tools like CPU-chache check, HD read check, memory check and all the other stuff. (Un)fortunately, I got no errors.
Checking the md5sum in Windows (shame on me) produces the same results (apart from that Win seems to be even more unstable than else).

Can anybody figure out, what the problem is? It must be the hardware - but which part?
Could it be the CPU? The check did not really compute anything, it only tested the cache. Or is it the motherboard?..

So the MD5 sum is different on the same file?
I suspect a RAM problem (run http://www.memtest.org/) or a the device that the file stored on (hard drive?).
It's unlikely it's the CPU.
Do the RAM test first.

Read http://smartlinux.sourceforge.net/
and
http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
Jjeje007
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Agree with bjlockie ... check first your RAM

Jjeje007
desultory
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things to check if everything seems to function properly while being tested, RAM settings and the power supply.

Verify that all of the RAM in the system is being used as per manufacturers specifications, including voltage and timing. One corner case to check is that all of the RAM in the system is of the same rating, even if it should all work properly together; this actually can cause seemingly random faults, the RAM in the system that demonstrated this to me consistently passed all tests.

If the power supply is marginal (in function or capacity relative to load) it might cause seemingly random malfunctions, unlikely but possible.
procelain
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for your advices

I didn't think it could be the RAM, as I did a really thorough test (it's a Dell box that comes with preinstalled system check tools). Currently, I don't have access to the machine, as it is property of my university and they think they understand more than me (possibly true :roll:), but as soon as I can get my hands on it, I will run those extra tests.

Is there any way how I could check the power supply or would you simply suggest to exchange the power pack?
desultory
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

procelain wrote:
Is there any way how I could check the power supply or would you simply suggest to exchange the power pack?
Power supply testers are available from several suppliers, though it might be worth the time investment to determine the maximal load produced by the existing components and verifying that the theoretical maximum load generated is acceptable given the installed power supply. Again, this is not especially likely to be the cause of the problems with the system.

Another thing to check when physical access is available, does the system simply need decrufted?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: