View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaput
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the syntax for "EnablePageFlip" and other options in XF86Config? could someone show me their config file so i could see where and how to set these options up? :wink:

this howto was a HUGE help in getting my radeon mobility m6 working with 3d, but glxgears only gives me about 200 fps.

clark
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaput wrote:
what's the syntax for "EnablePageFlip" and other options in XF86Config? could someone show me their config file so i could see where and how to set these options up? :wink:

I added this to the howto. Check it out again.
kaput
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops. my bad. :oops:

you say you're running a m6 mobility? i am also, but am only getting about 300 fps in glxgears. i've enabled page flip, and am experimenting with other options. how are you getting such a good framerate? it seems that i could only wish to get 600 at this point...

kaput
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaput wrote:
you say you're running a m6 mobility? i am also, but am only getting about 300 fps in glxgears. i've enabled page flip, and am experimenting with other options. how are you getting such a good framerate? it seems that i could only wish to get 600 at this point...

My particular M6 Mobility (the LY, I believe, it's not here now) has 16MB RAM. Is yours any different? Are you using the same kernel sources as I am (gentoo-sources 2.4.20-r5 at the moment)? What type and speed is your CPU? What's your resolution and depth (mine was 1400x1050, 16 bpp) -- that can make a major difference.
kaput
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.4.20-gentoo-r5
radeon mobility (pretty sure it's an LY) w/ 16 meg ddr
celeron 1.5 ghz
256 meg ddr

i'm running a toshiba 1115-s103
i'm using the kernel driver. i'm not sure how big of a difference that makes. although glxinfo says there's no direct rendering, i'm able to use opengl extensions. i must have done something silly. i'd appreciate it if you'd help me find it.

clark
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaput wrote:
2.4.20-gentoo-r5
radeon mobility (pretty sure it's an LY) w/ 16 meg ddr
celeron 1.5 ghz
256 meg ddr

i'm using the kernel driver. i'm not sure how big of a difference that makes. although glxinfo says there's no direct rendering, i'm able to use opengl extensions.

If you enable glx, you can use opengl extensions. That has nothing to do with whether you have hardware acceleration; it just uses software acceleration instead (i.e., drags on your CPU instead of using your video card).

DON'T use the kernel driver. It's outdated and only works in XFree 4.2 and lower. That's the whole point of xfree-drm, to get direct rendering (hardware acceleration) with XFree 4.3. Follow the howto, or you will not get accelerated 3D.

However, there's some limitation intrinsic from your 1.5 Celeron, but I'm sure you haven't reached it because you don't even *have* direct rendering.
kaput
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the radeon module is loading correctly. XF86Config has glx and dri loading and has radeon listed as the driver. i'm running xfree-4.3.0-r2 along with xfree-drm-4.3.0.

drm is *off* in the kernel with agpgart and mtrr turned on. all chipsets are compiled in, "just to be safe." :)

i've double checked to make sure i'm booting the correct kernel image.

Section "DRI" is using mode 0666

however, glxinfo continues to give me a big fat "NO!" when it comes to 3d. do i HAVE to load the radeon module before i startx? i think you said that x may automatically load the required module, assuming all is configured properly, correct? is there a chance it's loading the incorrect module?

this topic thread had been a huge help. i know i'm almost there. any further help is greatly appreciated as i know it takes others' personal time. :oops:
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaput wrote:
however, glxinfo continues to give me a big fat "NO!" when it comes to 3d. do i HAVE to load the radeon module before i startx? i think you said that x may automatically load the required module, assuming all is configured properly, correct? is there a chance it's loading the incorrect module?

In /var/log/XFree86.0.log, does it say anything about the driver version being too low (something like 1.1, when it wants 1.5 or higher)? If so, it's trying to use the wrong driver. Did you remember to recompile xfree-drm after recompiling your kernel and modules?
kaput
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spyderous wrote:

In /var/log/XFree86.0.log, does it say anything about the driver version being too low (something like 1.1, when it wants 1.5 or higher)? If so, it's trying to use the wrong driver. Did you remember to recompile xfree-drm after recompiling your kernel and modules?

yes, i did remember to recompile and the log notes that it was compiled for xfree 4.3.0. in the log i see no error messages, warnings, etc. in fact i even saw the following:

Code:
(II) RADEON(0): Acceleration enabled

why would glxinfo give me a no? wouldn't the log indicate that 3d acceleration is on? any ideas?

p.s. you asked what resolution. i'm running at 1024x768 16 bit.
kaput
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. i added agp 4x and fastagp options to XF86Config and for some reason glxinfo now WILL report that direct rendering is on!!! w00t!

unfortunately, i'm still only getting about 320 fps with glxgears. hrmmm. i'm using page flipping, 4x agp, and fastagp options. does anyone have any other performance enhancing ideas?

(and of course when i say "performing enhancing ideas," i DO mean related to my video card. :wink: )
arunkv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject: Works perfectly! Reply with quote

Thanks spyderous - those instructions worked perfectly with my ATI Radeon 7200 running on the 2.4.20-gentoo-r5 kernel.
BadGuy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaput wrote:
ok. i added agp 4x and fastagp options to XF86Config and for some reason glxinfo now WILL report that direct rendering is on!!! w00t!

unfortunately, i'm still only getting about 320 fps with glxgears. hrmmm. i'm using page flipping, 4x agp, and fastagp options. does anyone have any other performance enhancing ideas?

(and of course when i say "performing enhancing ideas," i DO mean related to my video card. :wink: )

I got the same problem also only 300~ fps on glxgears doing a timedemo on quake3 gives me a 62 FPS average... It's not good enough to make me go and use gentoo for my desktop aswell (I'm really a dedicated gamer so :)) did you try running glxgears as root once it gave me a little bit higher fps :P (about 100). Also I seem to have a broken bios... Wich I can't even update with the given update disks sigh... Also I can't set anything in my bios while I should... Just problems problems problems.
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes enabling FastWrite in XF86Config and in your BIOS can help. Sometimes it'll crash your computer.
swimgeek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Emerging xfree-4.3.0-r3 disabled DRI, please help Reply with quote

Hi,
I emerged xfree-4.3.0-r3 and then re-emerged xfree-drm-4.3.0-r2 and now direct rendering doesn't work! What should I do? What might have I missed?
Direct Rendering used to work when I was using xfree-4.3.0-r2. Should I try switching back to xfree-4.3.0-r2?
I have an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 (Dell Inspiron) and I'm using 2.4.20-r5.

thanks in advance!
swimgeek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: It works now!!?? Reply with quote

It works now :? I unmerge xfree completely first and then merged it again and now it seems to work!
n3x
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: vanilla-sources 2.4.21? Reply with quote

I'm using 2.4.21 (whee! new kernel =] ) but this whole xfree-drm thing isn't working for me. I'm using an ATI Rage 128 32MB, but everyone else here seems to be using Radeons. Do I need to insmod a special module? Compile my kernel differently? Use 2.4.20 gentoo-sources? Or am I doing the wrong thing entirely?

Direct Rendering is off, and I'm getting ~250 fps with glxgears, and counterstrike under wine looks horrible (textures not working, causing massive pings...just a bad time to be had by all). When I run 'insmod r128', it doesn't find the module. Is all of this because I'm using 2.4.21? Would I be better off attempting development-sources?

Thanks for everyone's help!

glxinfo:

Code:

name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: No
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
client glx vendor string: SGI
client glx version string: 1.2
client glx extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context,
    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ATI_pixel_format_float,
    GLX_ATI_render_texture
GLX extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 4.0.4
OpenGL extensions:
    GL_ARB_imaging, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp,
    GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_texture_env_add,
    GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3,
    GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_EXT_blend_color,
    GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, GL_EXT_texture_env_add,
    GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3,
    GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias
glu version: 1.3
glu extensions:
    GLU_EXT_nurbs_tessellator, GLU_EXT_object_space_tess

visual  x  bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer  ms  cav
 id dep cl sp sz l  ci b ro  r  g  b  a bf th cl  r  g  b  a ns b eat
----------------------------------------------------------------------
0x23 24 tc  1 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 16  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x24 24 tc  1 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 16  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 None
0x25 24 tc  1 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 16  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 None
0x26 24 tc  1 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 16  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 None
0x27 24 dc  1 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 16  0  0  0  0  0  0 0 None
0x28 24 dc  1 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  0  0 16  8 16 16 16  0  0 0 None
0x29 24 dc  1 24  0 r  y  .  8  8  8  8  0 16  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 None
0x2a 24 dc  1 24  0 r  .  .  8  8  8  8  0 16  8 16 16 16 16  0 0 None

I don't particularly want to take up tons of room with my XFree86Config, but I'll post if it'll help.

r'gds,

james
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For rage128, USE="rage128" when emerging xfree-drm instead of USE="radeon" (or VIDEO_CARDS="rage128" for -r4 and higher). Set your driver as r128 instead of radeon. Anywhere else it says radeon, change it to r128.

Also: xfree-drm probably will NOT work with a 2.5 kernel right now. Use the kernel's DRM instead for a 2.5 kernel, as I think it's up-to-date enough to be useful.
n3x
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I did that, but it's still giving me direct rendering: No and my glxgears are the same. When I do insmod r128, it says it can't find the module. I presume that is part of the problem, so I ran a search on *r128* and found no drivers, just some C files that were in the directory of the xfree-drm thing inside the kernel (/usr/src/linux-2.4.21/something/drm-4.0/something/r128.c). So I'm guessing I need to find the r128.o somewhere, or maybe I have to recompile my kernel with rage support? Last time when I looked for that I couldn't find it. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place.

Thanks again everyone,

james
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be installed into /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/char/drm/
Look there.
n3x
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, found /lib/modules/2.4.21/kernel/drivers, but char/ is not in there. I only have net/ and sound/. I know this means that the r128 driver was NOT compiled as a module into the kernel, which means that I need to recompile. But like I said before, I can't seem to find the r128 driver when I'm configuring with make menuconfig. If I re-emerge vanilla-sources (or maybe it's only in gentoo-sources?) with rage128 in USE, would that make a difference?

Thanks again for all your help, spyderous!
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n3x wrote:
Okay, found /lib/modules/2.4.21/kernel/drivers, but char/ is not in there. I only have net/ and sound/. I know this means that the r128 driver was NOT compiled as a module into the kernel, which means that I need to recompile. But like I said before, I can't seem to find the r128 driver when I'm configuring with make menuconfig. If I re-emerge vanilla-sources (or maybe it's only in gentoo-sources?) with rage128 in USE, would that make a difference?

Whoa, hold on there. You've got a few things a little bit off.

First, the xfree-drm package installs the drm kernel module; that's why you DON'T put it in the kernel. The package puts it there for you. You don't WANT to have anything to do with rage128 when you're configuring the kernel, so it's definitely a good thing if you can't find it. Try this:
Code:
# ebuild /usr/portage/x11-base/xfree-drm/xfree-drm-4.3.0-r4.ebuild install
# ls /var/tmp/portage/xfree-drm-4.3.0-r4/image/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/char/drm/

You should see something *.o, which is the built module.

Second, if you want an idea of available USE flags for a package, do 'emerge -vp package'. It will soon become apparent that the kernels don't have a rage128 USE flag.
n3x
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh*

Okay, I did all of that, got the r128 module, insmodded it before running gdm, and then I did glxinfo | grep rendering...and got No. Then I ran glxgears and my FPS are down, yes DOWN, to about 160. I may attempt using the 2.5 kernel and seeing how that goes.

EDIT:: Thanks for the emerge tip - very useful
JorBond
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the r128 module loaded and i think i have changed all my settings right in the xfree config but i still get my normal 250fps

also i can't run glxinfo because i get this error
Quote:

glxinfo: relocation error: /usr/lib/libGLU.so.1: undefined symbol: __gxx_personality_v0

i also get opengl problems in other apps
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the unresolved symbol, you'll probably have to try recompiling X with 'LDFLAGS="-lstdc++" emerge xfree'.

http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/blfs-support/2002/10/1561.html

On the FPS problem, all I can tell you is read the guide, make sure you have everything set up properly, make sure the dri module is loading into XFree (/var/log/XFree86.0.log), check that log for errors (EE and WW), make sure agpgart and r128 modules are loaded once X is started with lsmod.
JorBond
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i fixed my problem, i changed my color depth to 16 bit, which raised it 200 fsp, i upgraded to the 2.5 kernel which raised it another 200fps and did the xfree tweaks to get a little more. and to fix my libGLU problem i renamed it to get it working. now i get 650fps and 3d support whoo, pretty good for old hardware. thanks for the info
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: