Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Put Gentoo harddrive into new box with upgraded processor?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Floog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Put Gentoo harddrive into new box with upgraded processor? Reply with quote

I currently have Gentoo installed on a 13 gig. Western Digital hard drive on an Athlon 800 Mhz box. I've been thinking about buying a new AMD XP processor and motherboard combo.

When I installed gentoo 1.4_rc3, I chose the Stage 3 tarball and the gentoo-sources kernel 2.4.20.

Can I simply take this current Gentoo installation and place it into a new environment with an XP chip. I haven't messed with any USE variables and simply used whatever preset optimizations found in the Stage 3 tarball.

Thanks for your help.

Mike
aardvark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should work just fine!

And if the HD stays on the same place (/dev/hda?) it should just work straight away without you noticing it (except the speed increase). (Maybe you need to make a new kernel for support for your new mobo chipset)

I converted my gentoo install from a duron 750+ via to a athlon XP 1600 a+ sis chipset without a glitch. (I did compile a new kernel with sis chipset support though, but only to make hd access faster)

You will however not beneft from any extra optimizations you get from features offered by the XP over the legacy athlon. (i.e. CFLAGS=athlon-xp and USE= -msse and so forth), that you did not use to build your system. You could always decide on recompiling your system later ofcourse, with more XP specific optimizations.. An XP is just an athlon with some extra's basically. Also just setting these in you /etc/make.conf when you get the new CPU will have you build newly emerged apps with the better settings.

So ,I´d say, GO FOR IT!!
Floog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Aardvark. :-)
I can see there's gonna be no way to keep this little bit of money I have from burning a hole in my pocket.

I definitely appreciate your comments about the CFLAGS and USE options. I'm still pretty new to using Gentoo and have been too fearful to start experimenting with them. I suppose the best way to get on track with using these options is to pick a Stage 1 tarball and really dig into the process. With Stage 3, you don't have to learn about it.

Mike

aardvark wrote:
That should work just fine!

And if the HD stays on the same place (/dev/hda?) it should just work straight away without you noticing it (except the speed increase). (Maybe you need to make a new kernel for support for your new mobo chipset)

I converted my gentoo install from a duron 750+ via to a athlon XP 1600 a+ sis chipset without a glitch. (I did compile a new kernel with sis chipset support though, but only to make hd access faster)

You will however not beneft from any extra optimizations you get from features offered by the XP over the legacy athlon. (i.e. CFLAGS=athlon-xp and USE= -msse and so forth), that you did not use to build your system. You could always decide on recompiling your system later ofcourse, with more XP specific optimizations.. An XP is just an athlon with some extra's basically. Also just setting these in you /etc/make.conf when you get the new CPU will have you build newly emerged apps with the better settings.

So ,I´d say, GO FOR IT!!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: