USE="cjk" emerge freetype

Thanks Damasz for this one ;).
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumee wrote:
how do we enable bci, again please?

RTFT. I know people hate RTF$Xs but it was said explicitly in several of the first 10 posts, then you have 2 people asking how to do it? It's not as if the thread was enormous.

People are lazy. :)

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi

Last edited by charlieg on Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreambox wrote:
http://www.angelfire.com/linux/dreambox/index.html

Now, 2.1.3-r2 vs 2.1.4 vs 2.1.4 Byte Code enabled. Antialias is disabled for fontsize < 10.

The most ugly fonts I had were with Mozilla. 2.1.4 BC enabled looks the best 8)

In my opinion, 2.1.4 BC disabled is not bad at 100%, for example the gdm login screen fonts looks better than 2.1.3-r2. May be applying the ft_smooth hack (when available) could make results better :roll:

i noticed you have the same gfx chipset as i, have you been able to use the tvout at all? do you play q3a at all? reason i ask is because q3a runs awful for me and it ran fine in windoze?off topic i know lol

well im using freetype with its default flags and ive not noticed a difference, im on a toshiba 14.4 LCD *laptop* 1024x768x24

EDIT: Scrap that im still using 2.1.3r2 i cant emerge 2.1.4 with ACCEPT... what advantage is there upgrading?
wzzrd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think the old way it looked better and kudos to Damasz for showing us the way to re-enable it :)

Edit, just toe explain the above: the problem was / is not that I didn't like the way the fonts looked, but here, it seemed as if the fontspacing and the linespacing suddenly became larger. THAT'S what I didn't like. The fonts themselves looked sweet, though bold fonts were a bit too bold by my standards :P
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks horrible without USE="cjk"! glad i'm back to normal now.

Gedit: http://w0r.mine.nu/gentoo/gedit-fonts.png
Evil Dark Archon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the new way because it looks smoother than the bci does, when i first saw the bci rendered fonts with 2.1.3, i went and got the sources for 2.1.4rc2 and did my own compile (too lazy to edit ebuild), i have the release 2.1.4 now and am glad they switched to the auto-hinter.
jagerman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumee wrote:
how do we enable bci, again please?

Code:
USE="cjk" emerge freetype
Bobbie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder everyday how people can stand AA'd fonts at common sizes...after 5 min the bluriness gives me a headache...
jagerman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobbie wrote:
I wonder everyday how people can stand AA'd fonts at common sizes...after 5 min the bluriness gives me a headache...

Hmmm... Time for a new monitor? Or a higher resolution? Actually, the ones with Byte Code did start to give me a headache :x
Zalator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am i the only one who prefers the fonts w/ the bytecode interperter off thats not using a laptop?
i think my fonts look 100 times prettier now
yagami
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nop your not the only one :)

i also prefer fonts without bci.

and also does the xft hack :)
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of freetype starts to stop inc the bytecode interperter at compile? because imo the way ive got my fonts atm ilove idont want them to change
jagerman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d3c3it wrote:
What version of freetype starts to stop inc the bytecode interperter at compile? because imo the way ive got my fonts atm ilove idont want them to change

The 2.1.3-r2 ebuild has the bytecode interpreter, the 2.1.4 ebuild only includes it if you USE=cjk.
jessew
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first, I logged in and saw the absolutely appalling font rendering in Fig. 1... then I read this forum to find some people who prefer the new rending. I thought to myself, "what flavour crack are these people smoking?"

Note in Fig. 1 and somewhat Fig. 2 that the spacing of monotype fonts is way too close... quite illegible... especially in the text input fields.

Now I see that the fonts actually do look better if you have anti-aliasing turned on (Fig. 2).

I've recompiled freetype and I'm quite relieved that my fonts look like they do again in Fig. 3.

Fig. 1 - No Anti-Aliasing, Bytecode Compiler Off
Fig. 2 - Anti-Aliased, Bytecode Compiler Off
Fig. 3 - No Anti-Aliasing, Bytecode Compiler On

I you use AA for your fonts (not for me, thanks), the new rendering does look better IMHO. Since we can't all seem to agree which way we like it, it's a good thing we're using Gentoo, or we'd be stuck with someone else's preference.
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jagerman wrote:
d3c3it wrote:

The 2.1.3-r2 ebuild has the bytecode interpreter, the 2.1.4 ebuild only includes it if you USE=cjk.

so ive still got the bytecode inter....? damnit
hmmm maybe ill try 2.1.4 see what thats like, im not even sure im using AA no idea to check*newbie*
Damasz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,

I've made a side by side comparision of the bytecode interpeter and the auto hinter on my system. I grabbed pieces of sites that I thought clearly showed the differences between the two. You can probably see why I prefer the bytecode version. :)
The top bit in the screenshot is from the dutch news site http://nu.nl , the bottom bit is from this forum.

[img:f960820293]http://www.xs4all.nl/~brinkg/freetype-compare2.png[/img:f960820293]

I've tweaked the auto hinter version as far as I could by using the tips from this thread and playing with the gnome font settings menu. (I think the screenshot is using medium hinting)

Does anybody have anymore tips on how I can improve the autohinter version? I have a tft screen, so I like my fonts to be sharp.

Thnx,
Gert-Jan.
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damasz wrote:
Ok,

I've made a side by side comparision of the bytecode interpeter and the auto hinter on my system. I grabbed pieces of sites that I thought clearly showed the differences between the two. You can probably see why I prefer the bytecode version. :)
The top bit in the screenshot is from the dutch news site http://nu.nl , the bottom bit is from this forum.

[img:949b3bebee]http://www.xs4all.nl/~brinkg/freetype-compare2.png[/img:949b3bebee]

I've tweaked the auto hinter version as far as I could by using the tips from this thread and playing with the gnome font settings menu. (I think the screenshot is using medium hinting)

Does anybody have anymore tips on how I can improve the autohinter version? I have a tft screen, so I like my fonts to be sharp.

Thnx,
Gert-Jan.

The forum doesnt look to different but the news site does well seen as freetype 2.1.4 seems to be masked *i have to ACCEPT... to emerge it* i think ill leave changing yet
Damasz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,

I'm looking at my screenshot today at work on a normal crt monitor and the difference is a lot less than I see at home on my tft. I can see why a lot of people would prefer the auto-hinter version if they are using a crt monitor.

So it's not a "one size fits all" solution, you have to play arround to find the best setup. If you have a crt monitor, the gentoo defaults will give you pretty good results!

Gert-Jan.
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I use freetype with BCI enabled I can use my default font verdana, but without the BCI it will always use my default sans font (vera bitstream), is teher a way to fix this (because I do like the fonts even without BCI)
d3c3it
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could someone answer me these questions?
why upgrade freetype because its marked as masked ie isnt that unstable? also who do you enable/disable Anti-Aliased on your fonts?ive read loads of theads on this and never really got what they all meant*newbie confusion*
but mostly why upgrade freetype does it add some new features?better ones?
cohesion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The April 10th freetype-2.1.4 ebuild now builds the Bytecode Interpreter by default. No need to use the USE="cjk" anymore. If you want the autohinter turned on:
Code:
# USE="prebuilt" emerge freetype

I'm also experimenting with what happens when I take the RedHat patch for 2.1.3 out of the 2.1.4 ebuild and enable autohinting. I'll let you know if it makes autohinting work correctly.
cohesion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing the RedHat 2.1.3 patch from the 2.1.4 ebuild fixes problems with the autohinter screwing up Georgia and Times New Roman. (The q's, u's and t's were spaced oddly.) And o's are now correctly spaced. If you want to use the autohinter, I recommend switching off the RedHat patch. Arial continues to be beautiful.
cohesion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. After the above, I had to recompile GTK2 and restart X and now all my applications are using the new autohinting and look beautiful. There's still an annoying problem with u's in Georgia at 12pt; you can see that in this screen shot:

http://www.kcpassages.org/snapshot3.png

Also, for anyone interested, I have a SAMSUNG SyncMaster 763mb monitor -- shadow mask technology. You Trinitron users might be having a different experience because of that. I've read that subpixel hinting is possible on a Trinitron (due to the square nature of the pixels on those monitors).

Oh yea -- Also, my Mozilla 1.3 is compiled WITH GTK2 support. So, if you're having trouble with GTK using the new autohinting, try GTK2 -- it's really stable these days.
dizzy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damasz wrote:
Ok,

http://www.xs4all.nl/~brinkg/freetype-compare2.png

<..>

Thanks for putting that SS together. I'm on a crappy CRT monitor at the moment and I can see a huge difference between the BCI and non-BCI. I prefer BCI enabled btw. To me, the non-BCI fonts appear out of focus and blurry, maybe that's why some people get headaches staring at them too long. The BCI enabled fonts on the other hand are sharper but some letters on some fonts appears.. thin. That's a minor annoyance. IMHO, BCI enabled should give the best looking fonts for now.

jessew wrote:

<..>
I thought to myself, "what flavour crack are these people smoking?"
<...>

LOL. I was wondering the same thing.
Yinchie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d3c3it wrote:
could someone answer me these questions?
why upgrade freetype because its marked as masked ie isnt that unstable?

No not unstable, just not tested much.
My entire system runs unstable packages and havent got any problems.

d3c3it wrote:
also who do you enable/disable Anti-Aliased on your fonts?ive read loads of theads on this and never really got what they all meant*newbie confusion*

I don't understand you...

d3c3it wrote:
but mostly why upgrade freetype does it add some new features?better ones?

Yes, looks better and such.. the fonts.

And it is always good to update packages to unstable.
New features and fixes...
For me "unstable" means not fully tested yet but new releases of something normally means new features or fixed things.
So thats why I run -everything- unstable except the kernel, I dont need the development kernel because there are just too much updated on that and I dont wanna rebuild it everytime :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: