NFS on Alpha
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HuskyDog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: NFS on Alpha Reply with quote

Has anyone else experienced problems with using their Alphas as NFS servers?

Mine worked fine under 2.6.12 until I foolishly decided to upgrade my kernel (I also wanted to add RAID support). NFS exports work fine for a while, but after a few minuted they lock up. I have tried 2.6.15 (vanilla and gentoo) and 2.6.17 vanilla. I have also tried rebuilding 2.6.12 and that now doesn't work either. I have re-emerged nfs-utils, also without success. I have two x86 NFS clients, one running Gentoo and the other SuSE 10.0. They both have the same problems.

All suggestions gratefully accepted.
griffypoo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: NFS on Alpha Reply with quote

Admittedly, I've never setup a NFS server on Alpha, but my Alpha NFS clients work flawlessly. One even has /var and /usr on the NFS server with no issues. When NFS locks up, what do you see in your /var/log/messages?
HuskyDog
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: NFS on Alpha Reply with quote

griffypoo wrote:
When NFS locks up, what do you see in your /var/log/messages?

Nothing! There has been a brief discussion on the Gentoo Alpha mailing list and two other people have got the same problem. One fixed it by downgrading to a 2.6.8 kernel (didn't work for me), whilst the other suggested that when it locks up, the problem could be fixed by trying to remount the export on a non-existant directory. For example, if alpha:/export/foo is mounted on /foo and it locks up, typing 'mount alpha:/foo /mnt/none_existant_directory' will unlock it again. Amazingly, this works for both my Gentoo and SuSE x86 clients. On my Mythtv client I have installed a script which performs the eroneous remounts every 60s and this seems to keep it working.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: