Set flags for individual packages?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xithix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Set flags for individual packages? Reply with quote

I have a few packages that would benefit from unstable CFLAGS but I don't want those CFLAGS to apply to my entire system.

For example, I have some 3d apps (like XGL) that can highly benefit from, say, -ffast-math, but that's too unstable a flag for my entire system, to use. I know I can do
Code:
CFLAGS="--march=athlon64 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math" emerge xgl compiz-vanilla
but the problem there is that if I emerge -e world, these will get recompiled with just the universal CFLAGS.

By the same token, if I want to test a known unstable flag to see what kind of performance I'm missing or how great the cost of stability would be, I could compile my entire system with the "--as-needed" LDFLAG. But say I know a specific program this breaks. How could I tell portage NOT to enable it for this program, short of editing the ebuild which will get overwritten next sync?

Is there something that provides an "/etc/portage/package.cflags" akin to package.use?

For further customization, would it be possible in future versions of portage to have something like an "/etc/portage/package.make" where you could specify any number of make.conf variables to use when emerging specific packages?
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Other Things Gentoo to Duplicate Threads.

See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2319607.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: