Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Expand "Gentoo on PPC" to include Intel Macs?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Expand "Gentoo on PPC" to include Intel Macs? Reply with quote

So, Gentoo is the cutting edge meta-distro that everyone gets their new hardware working with first. It made perfect sense that the first Intel Macs running Linux would be running Gentoo. But now we have people asking for help with Gentoo on their new Intel Macs and there isn't always a good place to deal with the Mac-specific stuff that pops up.

I know Gentoo on PPC covers other machines besides Macs, but I think it makes sense to rename and expand it to cover Intel Macs as well. There are a lot of people with serious expertise running Gentoo on Macs who post there, and I think they will often be able to provide insights that will greatly help Intel Mac users.
neylitalo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far as I know, Intel Macs are the same as Intel PCs, as far as architecture is concerned... x86? I'm not sure if they have ia64 processors in Macs yet.
davidgurvich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are x86. The major difference being no legacy BIOS.
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppc = ppc keyword in ebuild = compiles on ppc hardware = being taken care of by the ppc arch team = best to discuss in the ppc forum
Intel macs otoh are x86 hardware, so it makes no sense at all to keyword their ebuilds with ppc.
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amne wrote:
Intel macs otoh are x86 hardware, so it makes no sense at all to keyword their ebuilds with ppc.

Agreed, but that's not what I suggested. I'm looking at where helping users with Intel Mac-specific issues would be best. I read a post yesterday asking for help because of boot issues on a Mac Mini related to EFI booting. That's not something that pops up much with non-Mac hardware and is what prompted my post here.

I don't use Apple hardware much professionally, and I've never bought one of their products, so perhaps I'm under the misapprehension that they are more likely to use internally-engineered hardware instead of chipsets/etc. found on most other Intel/AMD based hardware. If that's not the case, then my post here was mistaken. :-p
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sternklang wrote:
Agreed, but that's not what I suggested. I'm looking at where helping users with Intel Mac-specific issues would be best. I read a post yesterday asking for help because of boot issues on a Mac Mini related to EFI booting. That's not something that pops up much with non-Mac hardware and is what prompted my post here.

As far i understand (not an expert, too) EFI is the future of x86 hardware, too.
JoseJX
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but the Intel based Macs are off-topic in the PPC forums since they don't use a PowerPC processor. As the PPC forums moderator, I would move these topics to the appropriate generic forum. From what I've heard, the Intel Macs are pretty much standard x86 machines, so there's not much we could help you with in the PPC forums.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: