Compiling via network
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rokstar83
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Compiling via network Reply with quote

I have a rather old laptop that has had gentoo on it for a number of years, but it is starting to show its age (ala overheating). Compiling has become something of a dangerous proposition so i've been exploring ways to aid the compilation via other gentoo boxes. I have tried the build host way (from the wiki site) and it works okay however I was wondering if there was a slightly more simple way of doing things. My thoughts were two fold:

1) If I setup distcc on the laptop and only set 1 computer to be the builder would it ignore the laptop and compile on the building machine?

2) I was toying with the idea of mounting the root directory of the laptop on the building machine and chrooting in on the building machine. My experiments thus far have led to problems with security, aka I can't chroot into root. All of the work is done behind a firewall on a network of only the two machines, so external security concerns are somewhat limited. My theory is if I can chroot in on the nfs mount I could do all the work on the second machine while all the io would be on the laptop.

Any thoughts on either?

I'd like the latter more than the former only because i'm running different version of gcc on each, which to my understanding precludes using gcc. However if no of these are possible the build host is working properly so I can always default to that.

Thanks in advance.
aries
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With nfs this should not be a problem.
this works for me:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-354356-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-nfs+chroot-start-0.html

I tried the same with shfs -safer connection- but until now I can't get it working:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-461830-highlight-.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: