Installed setup messed up after installing postgresql
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tabascal1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Installed setup messed up after installing postgresql Reply with quote

I am an newbie to gentoo
I had successfully installed gentoo1.4rc3 with kde 3.1.1 and gnome 2.2.2

After this I did "emerge postgresql" from the gnome envoirnment.

during the process i think it installed gcc.3.2.2

after completion of the merge postgresql it asked the config files to be updated
I ran "etc-update". When asked I gave the option"-5"to merge the files

After this I find my installation messed up .

The network cards are not getting active- the modules.autoload does not show the nic modules inserted there. The nic doesnot come up even if the modules are inseretd in the modules are manually.

The x server does not work when I run kde it gives an lib.so.6 error

I reinstalled xfree by umerge an emerge again but of no avail
please help
esammer
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Installed setup messed up after installing postgresql Reply with quote

When installing postgresql did you use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~x86?

It sounds like you installed a series of unstable packages. After doing so, you automerged the new config files in /etc and blew away your changes (that was the really bad part). You should absolutely NEVER blindly use -5 with etc-update hence it not being a default.

At this point, you'll need to systematically start reconfiguring everything that was changed in /etc prior to the update. This will probably be a long process so set aside some time and join the #gentoo irc channel on freenode (irc.freenode.net) where people can help you in detail as explaining the process here would be difficult.

The short version of hte process is:

1. edit and fix everything in /etc that was changed
2. make sure all caches are updated (ala env-update, and friends)
3. double check everything
4. double check everything
5. downgrade what you need to if you'd rather not use unstable packages
6. repeat 1 through 4.
7. reboot (if glibc, binutils, or other low level package versions have changed)
8. never use -5 in etc-update again

Hope that helps.
tabascal1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT became OK after I reconfigure fstab/mtab/hosts/modules.autolaoad and had to remerge glibc and binutils.

I also recompiled the kernel
esammer
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear everything worked out well. Unless you're 100% positive that they are unimportant or your changes are expendable, you should stay far away from -5 in etc-update...

Either way, glad to hear it's up and running.
tabascal1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another problem

I have installed 1.4.rc3 with kde3.1.1
qt 3.1.0.r3
kdelibs 3.1.1-r1

When I am trying to install kcmpureftpd it is asking for
qt-2.3.2-r1
kdelibs-2.2.2a-r1

will be it ok to proceed or will create problems for my kde 3.1.1 installation

If No then how do I install kcmpureftpd?

There is one more query -In KEYWORD in the make conf I have that option commented otu. What should I use ? I am using P4 1.7GHz? Should I Use arch or i686?
esammer
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tabascal1 wrote:
will be it ok to proceed or will create problems for my kde 3.1.1 installation

This will downgrade your kde install to version 2.x

tabascal1 wrote:
If No then how do I install kcmpureftpd?

There may not be a kde / qt 3.x version of that app yet and you may have to wait. Of course, if you don't care, you could downgrade your entire kde install to 3.x, but I doubt you would want to do that for one app. I don't use kde myself, so I don't know when there would be a 3.x version of what you're looking for.

tabascal1 wrote:
There is one more query -In KEYWORD in the make conf I have that option commented otu. What should I use ? I am using P4 1.7GHz? Should I Use arch or i686?

I'm not really sure what you're asking here. If you asking what KEYWORD does in make.conf, you probably want to leave it alone. KEYWORD is used to mask and unmask certain unstable or testing packages. If you're new to linux (or unix) you probably want to leave it commented out. If you want to use unstable packages you would use "~x86" (for x86), "~sparc" (for sparc), etc... you get the idea. If you are looking for where you can optimize your system, you're looking for the CFLAGS variable. You should check out the "CFLAGS Central" thread on these boards for more info on that.

Hope that helps.
Cryonic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like this might be a deficiency of Gentoo over say, Redhat. I was able to have both QT3 and QT2.3.2 happily coexisting on the system. There should also be some compatibility libs for KDE3 to be compatible to run KDE2 apps (unless RH was just packaging old KDE2 libs).
esammer
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo's packaging / ports system Portage has the ability to use SLOTS (see man emerge for info) that will allow multiple versions of something to be installed providing the following two conditions are met:

1. The package supports it (like libxml, gcc, or qt does) - it might be difficult or unsupported to have multiple versions of, say, sysvinit. You get the idea.
2. The ebuild is written to take advantage of SLOTS (again, see man emerge and the ebuild developers guide on www.gentoo.org).

Point is that it's not a "Gentoo deficiency" as you say, but more a bug to be filed on bugs.gentoo.org requesting improvements to the ebuild.

Hope that helps.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: