automating the route command for a zaurus
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: automating the route command for a zaurus Reply with quote

Hello,

I've got what I hope is a newbie, easily answered question about routes. I've got things set up so that whenever I put my zaurus in its cradle the usb0 interface goes up. Now I'd like to make sure that
Code:

route add -host 192.168.129.201 usb0

is automatically set at the same time. How do I do this?

I'm using hotplug and putting the command in usbdnet doesn't seem to do the trick.

Thanks,
Seth
shadow255
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the Sharp SL-5500 here (ROM version 2.38). It was a major pain to figure this stuff out, but I think I've got a pretty simple way to make it work, with one caveat that maybe someone else can answer to. Here goes...

Edit the file /etc/conf.d/net. You need 2 entries in there:
Code:

iface_usb0="192.168.129.1 broadcast 192.168.129.255 netmask 255.255.255.0"
iface_usb0="dhcp"

Then you need to have a net.usb0 file in your /etc/init.d/ directory. I just copied net.eth0, e.g.
Code:

cp /etc/init.d/net.eth0 /etc/init.d/net.usb0

Then with Zaurus in the cradle (powered off at first) and usb cable connected, power on the Zaurus. After a few moments, check output from the following two commands:
Code:

/sbin/ifconfig -a
/sbin/route

You should see appropriate interface information and routing table entry. Now for the caveat: every time I do this, /etc/resolv.conf gets clobbered on my system, so I can't seem to use the Zaurus connection and my internet connection simultaneously. I would love to hear from someone that knows how to prevent this from happening!
Seth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yeah, adding the iface_usb0="dhcp" to /etc/conf.d/net did the trick, and screwed up my reslov.conf file too. I'd rather not do that. There must be a better way to add the route I want to the zaurus without typing it in everytime.

Tell me, when you pull your Z out of the cradle, do you need to manually bring down the usb0 interface? If I don't do that when I put my Z back in the cradle, it won't bring back up the usb0 interface.

Also, if Iwant the Z to connect to the internet I run a little script on it whenever it's docked:
Code:

route add -host 192.168.129.1 usbd0
route delete -net 192.168.129.0/24 usbd0
route add default gw 192.168.129.1

Took the code from http://www.ruault.com/Zaurus/ethernet-over-usb-howto.html

Seth
shadow255
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seth wrote:
Hi,

Yeah, adding the iface_usb0="dhcp" to /etc/conf.d/net did the trick, and screwed up my reslov.conf file too. I'd rather not do that. There must be a better way to add the route I want to the zaurus without typing it in everytime.

Tell me, when you pull your Z out of the cradle, do you need to manually bring down the usb0 interface? If I don't do that when I put my Z back in the cradle, it won't bring back up the usb0 interface.

Also, if Iwant the Z to connect to the internet I run a little script on it whenever it's docked:
Code:

route add -host 192.168.129.1 usbd0
route delete -net 192.168.129.0/24 usbd0
route add default gw 192.168.129.1

Took the code from http://www.ruault.com/Zaurus/ethernet-over-usb-howto.html

Seth

I have found that pulling the Z out of the cradle while powered on creates havoc with my setup. It's very picky. So my modus operandi is to power off the Z before inserting and before removing it from the cradle. That seems to make things work correctly. Right now I'm unable to get usb0 to lease the ip from the Z after having, just one time, pulled the Z out with power on. :evil:

It looks like the solution to this problem is to restart hotplug. So you could try:
Code:

/etc/init.d/hotplug restart

Seth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadow255 wrote:

I have found that pulling the Z out of the cradle while powered on creates havoc with my setup. It's very picky. So my modus operandi is to power off the Z before inserting and before removing it from the cradle. That seems to make things work correctly. Right now I'm unable to get usb0 to lease the ip from the Z after having, just one time, pulled the Z out with power on. :evil:

It looks like the solution to this problem is to restart hotplug. So you could try:
Code:

/etc/init.d/hotplug restart

Here's what I've done so far. I put the following line in net.usb0:
Code:

route add -host 192.168.129.201 usb0

right at the end of the section that brings up the non-dhcp usb0 interface.

This doesn't solve everything. When I pull the Z from its cradle, I still need to run /etc/init.d/net.usb0 stop, even though ifconfig and ifconfig -a don't find the usb0 interface. If I don't, the next time I put the Z back in the cradle usb0 will not come up at all.

Next thing I need to work on is automating the routing instructions on the Z so that it sees the pc as its internet gateway.

Seth
ozric100
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my Z for about 2 weeks. I have it all set up on my XP work laptop with ICS from the USB port. I just finished setting it up on my home Gentoo system. it works fine so far. I have not setup any sync software yet, but I dont know if I want to. BTW I am running OpenZaurus 3.2 on my Z. Here is a quick run down.

1. patch kernel with usbnet patch (no need for usbdnet) setup iptables. Build
2. cp /etc/init.d/net.eth0 /etc/init.d/net.usb0 ( no need to start this)
3. edit /etc/conf.d and add iface_usb0 information
3. emerge and start iptables ( add to default runlevel)
4. add nat POSTROUTING SNAT for eth0 (iptables-save)
5. check hotplug setup and make sure its ok (should start net.usb0 for you)
6. unsuspend Z and plug in to cradle
7. fix any network files on the Z
8. test - connect / disconnect
9. enjoy

That is a quick list of how I did it. If you need more let me know.
Seth
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozric100 wrote:
I have had my Z for about 2 weeks. I have it all set up on my XP work laptop with ICS from the USB port. I just finished setting it up on my home Gentoo system. it works fine so far. I have not setup any sync software yet, but I dont know if I want to. BTW I am running OpenZaurus 3.2 on my Z. Here is a quick run down.

1. patch kernel with usbnet patch (no need for usbdnet) setup iptables. Build
2. cp /etc/init.d/net.eth0 /etc/init.d/net.usb0 ( no need to start this)
3. edit /etc/conf.d and add iface_usb0 information
3. emerge and start iptables ( add to default runlevel)
4. add nat POSTROUTING SNAT for eth0 (iptables-save)
5. check hotplug setup and make sure its ok (should start net.usb0 for you)
6. unsuspend Z and plug in to cradle
7. fix any network files on the Z
8. test - connect / disconnect
9. enjoy

Hi ozric,

I've got it mostly working now, including number 9, enjoy. Hotplug on the Z is set to add the proper routes whenever I plug in. I first tried to put the routing commands in /etc/hotplug/usbdnet, but that had no effect. I don't think it's called when I plug the Z into the cradle. Instead, a script called /etc/hotplug/net.agent is run. I put the routing commands there and everything on the Z side is working great.

The only thing that's still annoying is having to run /etc/init.d/net.usb0 stop on the pc every time I pull the Z out of its cradle. If I don't then when I plug the Z back in hotplug can't bring usb0 up. Apparantly the line in the pc's hotplug's net.agent script
Code:

exec /etc/init.d/net.$INTERFACE stop

has no effect, and I have to run it by hand.

What's three-times strange about this situation is that

1. net.agent can successully bring up the usb0 interface.
2. when I pull the Z out of the cradle and run net.usb0 stop by hand, I get the following message:
Code:

* Bringing usb0 down...
usb0: unknown interface: No such device                                   [ ok ]

3. and /var/log/everything/current tells me:
Code:

Apr  7 14:47:42 [/etc/hotplug/net.agent] invoke /etc/init.d/net.usb0 stop
Apr  7 14:47:42 [modprobe] modprobe: Can't locate module usb0

Why is modprobe looking for module usb0?

Thanks,

Seth
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: