Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED]Error during emerge gnome xscreensaver on new gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Requisition
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 29 Apr 2006
Posts: 117

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: [SOLVED]Error during emerge gnome xscreensaver on new gentoo Reply with quote

Code:
>>> Unpacking apmd_3.2.1.orig.tar.gz to /var/tmp/portage/apmd-3.2.1_p4/work
>>> Unpacking apmd_3.2.1-4.diff.gz to /var/tmp/portage.ampd-3.2.1_p4/work
* Applying apmd_3.2.1-4.diff ...
>>> Source unpacked.
libtool --quiet --mode=compile gcc -c -0 -g  -Wall -pipe -I, -I/usr/src/linux/include -I/usr/src/linux-2.2/include -I /usr/src/linux-2.0/include -DIVERSION=\"3.2.1\" -DDEFAULT_PROXY_NAME=\"/etc/apmd_proxy\" apmlib.c
lib --quiet --mode=link gcc -o libapm.la apmlib.lo -rpath /usr/lib -version-infro 1:0
i386-pc-linux-gnu-g++: /usr/lib/gcc/i396-pc-linuc-gnu/3.4.4/../../../crti.o: No file or directory
i386-pc-linux-gnu-g++: /usr/lib/gcc/i396-pc-linuc-gnu/3.4.4/crtbeginS.o: No file or directory
i386-pc-linux-gnu-g++: /usr/lib/gcc/i396-pc-linuc-gnu/3.4.4/crtendS.o: No file or directory
i386-pc-linux-gnu-g++: /usr/lib/gcc/i396-pc-linuc-gnu/3.4.4/../../../crtn.o: No file or directory
make: *** [libapm.la] Error 1

!!! ERROR: sys-apps/apmd-3.2.1_p4 fail4ed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 50, Exitcode 2
!!! emake failed


This looks like a gcc error to me, but I assure you I updated to the latest version of gcc(3.4.5-r1) along with everything else on here and did a complete clean up and revdep-rebuild. Though maybe I'm completely wrong about it being a gcc error :D.

Any thoughts on this and ways I can fix it?

Thanks.


Last edited by Requisition on Sat May 06, 2006 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 05 Aug 2004
Posts: 3753
Location: sleeping in the bathtub

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Error during emerge gnome xscreensaver on new gentoo ins Reply with quote

Requisition wrote:
This looks like a gcc error to me, but I assure you I updated to the latest version of gcc(3.4.5-r1) along with everything else on here and did a complete clean up and revdep-rebuild. Though maybe I'm completely wrong about it being a gcc error :D.

The emerge craps out because it can't find gcc 3.4.4 files, so if you did upgrade to 3.4.5, the problem is there somewhere.

What does "gcc-config -l" tell you?
Assuming that's ok, try an env-update followed by a "source /etc/profile".

Also, posting "emerge info" might be helpful.
_________________
"You have to invite me in"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Requisition
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 29 Apr 2006
Posts: 117

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did env-update source /etc/profile/ and that broughts the number of files I need to update from 24 to 18. Any ideas on how to fully update the files in /etc/?

I still got the error though. I'm not sure if this is because of the other /etc/ files or not. It's still looking for gcc 3.4.4 though.

To see the ggc-config -I would I just type in that or would I open it with nano and do something like nano -w gcc-config -I?

When do emerge info a ton of information appears on the screen and goes up past areas I can't see into. Is there a file or anything I could save all this data to?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Requisition
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 29 Apr 2006
Posts: 117

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: I updated all of my /etc/ files. It still keeps searching for gcc 3.4.4.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 05 Aug 2004
Posts: 3753
Location: sleeping in the bathtub

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcc-config is a utility to let you choose which gcc you wish to use, the -l (lowercase L) flage gives you a list of what's available.

You can simply use "emerge info > somefile.txt" to save the output to "somefile.txt".
_________________
"You have to invite me in"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Requisition
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 29 Apr 2006
Posts: 117

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems the installed version of gentoo doesn't have links like the live cd did. :(

gcc-config -i had this to say:

Code:
[1] i386-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.5 *
[2] i386-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.5 - hardened
[3] i386-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.5 - hardenednopie
[4] i386-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.5 - hardenednopiessp
[5] i386-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.5 - hardenednossp
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 05 Aug 2004
Posts: 3753
Location: sleeping in the bathtub

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, try this command; "fix_libtool_files.sh 3.4.4"
(and afterwards run env-update && source /etc/profile, just to be sure)

Also;
  • After upgrading a major toolchain package such as gcc or glibc, it's a good idea to do an "emerge -e system", which will re-emerge everything in the system profile (you probable did this during the first install).
    Be warned, it'll take a while.
  • Did you not change your CHOST prior to installing, or are you actually running on an i386?
  • emerge links :P

_________________
"You have to invite me in"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Requisition
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 29 Apr 2006
Posts: 117

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright I will try this. I'm running this on a x86.

Is emerge -e system similar effect as emerge --depclean where I will have to redownload all of the gnome dependencies I already have? Though if this does take a while I'll probably be in bed when I start installing gnome so it wouldn't matter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Requisition
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 29 Apr 2006
Posts: 117

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did fix_libtool_files.sh 3.4.4 and env-update && source /etc/profile I did the gcc-config -l and I still had the exact same message with gcc 3.4.5. Should I continue on with the rest anyway?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 05 Aug 2004
Posts: 3753
Location: sleeping in the bathtub

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Requisition wrote:
When I did fix_libtool_files.sh 3.4.4 and env-update && source /etc/profile I did the gcc-config -l and I still had the exact same message with gcc 3.4.5. Should I continue on with the rest anyway?


Yes, the fix_libtool_files.sshould have fixed the problem.
Try emerging the package that failed in your first post (sys-apps/apmd) to make sure,
then I would strongly advise the emerge -e world.
This will only re-install the basic system packages, it would probably be a good idea to do an "emerge -e world" after that completes, but that will take a long time (it will recompile absolutely everything), and may not be necessary.
It would be the best way to ensure a completely stable system, though.
_________________
"You have to invite me in"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Requisition
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 29 Apr 2006
Posts: 117

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopeless wrote:
Requisition wrote:
When I did fix_libtool_files.sh 3.4.4 and env-update && source /etc/profile I did the gcc-config -l and I still had the exact same message with gcc 3.4.5. Should I continue on with the rest anyway?


Yes, the fix_libtool_files.sshould have fixed the problem.
Try emerging the package that failed in your first post (sys-apps/apmd) to make sure,
then I would strongly advise the emerge -e world.
This will only re-install the basic system packages, it would probably be a good idea to do an "emerge -e world" after that completes, but that will take a long time (it will recompile absolutely everything), and may not be necessary.
It would be the best way to ensure a completely stable system, though.

I tried doing the emerge of sys-apps/apmd. It didn't work and I got the same gcc error. I'm about to head off for school and run the emerge -e world. I'll let you know if that fixes the problem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Requisition
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 29 Apr 2006
Posts: 117

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, during the emerge -e world caused another error and not so surprisingly it has to do with gcc!

Code:
insn-recong.c: In function 'recog_16' :
insn-recog.c:35669: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
Please submit full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <URL:http://bugs.gentoo.org/> for instructions.
The bug is not reproducible, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem.
make[2]: *** [insn-recog.o]Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.5-r1/work/build/gcc'
make[1]: *** [stageprofile_build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.5-r1/work/build/gcc'
make: *** [profiledbootstrap] error 2


!!! ERROR: sys-devel/gcc-3.4.5-r1 failed.
!!! Function gcc_do_make, Line 1340, Exitcode 2
!!! emake failed with profiledbootstrap


What should I do this time?

Also, is there a file of some sort these errors are saved to, so I don't have to write them down and then type it up on another computer?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Requisition
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 29 Apr 2006
Posts: 117

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Requisition wrote:
Well, during the emerge -e world caused another error and not so surprisingly it has to do with gcc!

Code:
insn-recong.c: In function 'recog_16' :
insn-recog.c:35669: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
Please submit full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <URL:http://bugs.gentoo.org/> for instructions.
The bug is not reproducible, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem.
make[2]: *** [insn-recog.o]Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.5-r1/work/build/gcc'
make[1]: *** [stageprofile_build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/gcc-3.4.5-r1/work/build/gcc'
make: *** [profiledbootstrap] error 2


!!! ERROR: sys-devel/gcc-3.4.5-r1 failed.
!!! Function gcc_do_make, Line 1340, Exitcode 2
!!! emake failed with profiledbootstrap


What should I do this time?

Also, is there a file of some sort of file these errors are saved to, so I don't have to write them down and then type it up on another computer?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mfocker
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Sep 2005
Posts: 41
Location: Sweden

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Error during emerge gnome xscreensaver on new gentoo ins Reply with quote

Requisition wrote:
Code:
!!! ERROR: sys-apps/apmd-3.2.1_p4 fail4ed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 50, Exitcode 2
!!! emake failed



I had this problem with apmd too, and solved it by re-emerge libtool
Code:
# emerge libtool


...and then emergeing the rest (with apmd) all worked! :D
_________________
AMD Opteron 165, Gentoo Linux x86_64
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
robbster
n00b
n00b


Joined: 07 Apr 2006
Posts: 12
Location: Darmstadt, Germany

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Error during emerge gnome xscreensaver on new gentoo ins Reply with quote

mfocker wrote:
I had this problem with apmd too, and solved it by re-emerge libtool
Code:
# emerge libtool


Yeah! THAT's the solution! Had the same problem...
How did you get this idea? I'm a newbie to gentoo and i'm really interested in learning how to analyse error-messages and so on...

Cheers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Requisition
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 29 Apr 2006
Posts: 117

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Error during emerge gnome xscreensaver on new gentoo ins Reply with quote

mfocker wrote:
Requisition wrote:
Code:
!!! ERROR: sys-apps/apmd-3.2.1_p4 fail4ed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 50, Exitcode 2
!!! emake failed



I had this problem with apmd too, and solved it by re-emerge libtool
Code:
# emerge libtool


...and then emergeing the rest (with apmd) all worked! :D


That worked! Thank you! I too am interested in knowing how you knew this would work. What exactly does libtool do?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mfocker
n00b
n00b


Joined: 20 Sep 2005
Posts: 41
Location: Sweden

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Error during emerge gnome xscreensaver on new gentoo ins Reply with quote

Requisition wrote:
That worked! Thank you! I too am interested in knowing how you knew this would work. What exactly does libtool do?


Glad it helped you! How I knew? Well, nothing magic. Found a similar problem in this great forum, and the solution was to re-emerge libtool. Actually, I don't now exactly how/why it solves the problem! I'm just happy it solved the problem! :)

Ps. Maybe you should add [solved] to the subject...
_________________
AMD Opteron 165, Gentoo Linux x86_64
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Requisition
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 29 Apr 2006
Posts: 117

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Error during emerge gnome xscreensaver on new gentoo ins Reply with quote

mfocker wrote:

Ps. Maybe you should add [solved] to the subject...


How would I do that?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 14 Apr 2004
Posts: 5511
Location: Durham, UK

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Desktop Environments to Duplicate Threads in favour of jpeg-6b-r4 fails to compile, fix_libtool_files.sh is no help.
_________________
No-one's more important than the earthworm.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum