Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phlogiston wrote:
Hmm why is this still blocking? I searched the xorg-server ebuild and the version is correct...

Have you synced today? I don't have it installed, I have an nvidia card, but looking at the ebuild my copy of xorg-server-1.1.1 only has a blocker on nvidia.
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sternklang wrote:
Phlogiston wrote:
Hmm why is this still blocking? I searched the xorg-server ebuild and the version is correct...

Have you synced today? I don't have it installed, I have an nvidia card, but looking at the ebuild my copy of xorg-server-1.1.1 only has a blocker on nvidia.

The problem was that the ebuild is actually from the coffe xgl overlay, which is not updated. So xgl overlay maintainer should update that. I just changed the ebuild for now....
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phlogiston wrote:
The problem was that the ebuild is actually from the coffe xgl overlay, which is not updated. So xgl overlay maintainer should update that. I just changed the ebuild for now....

In case anyone else needs it, this post from the xgl-coffee forums contains a fixed ebuild. It hasn't been committed to the overlay yet.
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm i just did a big update (kde and xorg to 7.1) and now my fonts in all gtk2 apps are not antialiased any longer. Does anybody know where and how to configure that? Kde fonts are ok though.

Thanks for any hint.
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phlogiston wrote:
Hmm i just did a big update (kde and xorg to 7.1) and now my fonts in all gtk2 apps are not antialiased any longer. Does anybody know where and how to configure that? Kde fonts are ok though.

Thanks for any hint.

Downgrading cairo helped.

Code:

x11-libs/cairo
     Available versions:  1.0.2 1.0.4 [M]1.1.8[4]  [M]1.2.0
     Installed:           1.0.4
     Homepage:            http://cairographics.org/
     Description:         A vector graphics library with cross-device output support

SDNick484
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blocker on xorg-x11-7.1 against ati-drivers has been removed (at least on the xorg-x11 from the Xgl overlay). I am currently running xorg-x11-7.1 & ati-drivers-8.27.10-r1 together without any issues so far. I also noticed I'm getting about 3 times my standard frames per second on glxgears under Xgl compared to under standard xorg.
vesech
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, is it just me or is this still blocking?

Code:
sokar:~% sudo emerge -pvuD world                                                                                       

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating world dependencies -

[blocks B     ] x11-drivers/ati-drivers (is blocking x11-base/xorg-server-1.1.1-r1)

This is with ati-drivers-8.27.10-r1 and straight after a sync :/
CloudBolt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vesech wrote:

Code:

[blocks B     ] x11-drivers/ati-drivers (is blocking x11-base/xorg-server-1.1.1-r1)

probably just you, I've got X.org 7.1 running here, with ati-drivers 8.27.10 and without having to work around any blocks.
DOS is a boot partition virus.
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vesech wrote:

Code:

Are you using Xgl overlay?
vesech
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phlogiston wrote:
vesech wrote:

Code:

Are you using Xgl overlay?

Nope... just standard X currently. I've got Xgl overlay installed though which might be the issue?
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vesech wrote:
Nope... just standard X currently. I've got Xgl overlay installed though which might be the issue?

Yes that's the issue. Unless the regular portage tree has a newer version, it'll default to using your overlays.

In other words: The installed xorg-server you've got was likely installed from your overlay and your overlay specified in that ebuild that the block was still in place.
vesech
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:

Yes that's the issue. Unless the regular portage tree has a newer version, it'll default to using your overlays.

In other words: The installed xorg-server you've got was likely installed from your overlay and your overlay specified in that ebuild that the block was still in place.

Ah, I see. Cheers for clearing that up.
Bloodsurfer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I upgraded to the new ATI drivers, and since there was no blocking xorg-server anymore, I updated X to. Now Xorg won't start anymore. It does only work when I downgrade the drivers and the server, the new drivers just don't work for me...
SiberianSniper: or <name>.ko, so she's ready for insertion?
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloodsurfer wrote:
Well, I upgraded to the new ATI drivers, and since there was no blocking xorg-server anymore, I updated X to. Now Xorg won't start anymore. It does only work when I downgrade the drivers and the server, the new drivers just don't work for me...

If you need help you should post the error. Or is this just your statement? =)
CloudBolt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloodsurfer wrote:

you should update X before you update the ati drivers :wink: (either by first unmerging the ati drivers, then emerging x, then emerging the new drivers or by emerging the new drivers, emerging X and then remerging the ati drivers)

you have to it this way because if you first update the drivers portage will use those compiled for X 6.9/7.0, and they will not work using 7.1
DOS is a boot partition virus.
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phlogiston wrote:

Thanks for any hint.

Same thing happened here with update to KDE, fixed it by going into the KDE Control Panel Fonts section, disabling anti-aliasing, hit 'Apply', then re-enable anti-aliasing, hit 'Apply' again, bingo, GTK2 fonts fixed.
Ast0r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CloudBolt wrote:
vesech wrote:

Code:

probably just you, I've got X.org 7.1 running here, with ati-drivers 8.27.10 and without having to work around any blocks.

Are you running on an unstable profile? It seems like 7.1 is still masked for the stable profile. :(
Bloodsurfer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CloudBolt wrote:
you should update X before you update the ati drivers :wink: (either by first unmerging the ati drivers, then emerging x, then emerging the new drivers or by emerging the new drivers, emerging X and then remerging the ati drivers)
you have to it this way because if you first update the drivers portage will use those compiled for X 6.9/7.0, and they will not work using 7.1

That solved it, thanks! :)
SiberianSniper: or <name>.ko, so she's ready for insertion?
humbletech99
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how disappointing, I've just hit this problem as well, I can't emerge the ati drivers and I am running the latest stable xorg-server and xorg-x11 and when I try to emerge the ati drivers I get the following:
Code:
# emerge ati-drivers xf86-video-ati
Calculating dependencies ... done!
>>> Emerging (1 of 2) x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1 to /
>>> checking ebuild checksums ;-)
>>> checking auxfile checksums ;-)
>>> checking miscfile checksums ;-)
>>> checking ati-driver-installer-8.21.7-i386.run ;-)
 * Determining the location of the kernel source code
 * Found kernel source directory:
 *     /usr/src/linux
 * Found sources for kernel version:
 *     2.6.17-gentoo-r4
 * Checking for MTRR support enabled ...                                                                            [ ok ]
 * Checking for AGP support enabled ...                                                                             [ ok ]
 * Checking for DRM support disabled ...                                                                            [ ok ]
 * X11 implementation is xorg-x11.
>>> Unpacking source...
 * Unpacking Ati drivers ...                                                                                        [ ok ]
>>> Source unpacked.
>>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1 ...
 * Building the DRM module...
make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.17-gentoo-r4'
  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/agp3.o
  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/nvidia-agp.o
  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/agpgart_be.o
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/agpgart_be.c: In function `__fgl_agp_init':
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/agpgart_be.c:8173: warning: implicit declaration of function `pm_register'
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/agpgart_be.c: In function `__fgl_agp_cleanup':
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/agpgart_be.c:8183: warning: implicit declaration of function `pm_unregister_all'
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/agpgart_be.c: At top level:
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/agpgart_be.c:6077: warning: 'ati_gart_base' defined but not used
  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/i7505-agp.o
  CC [M]  /var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.o
In file included from /var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:162:
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.h:267:5: warning: "FIREGL_VMA_INFO" is not defined
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:228: error: syntax error before string constant
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:228: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `MODULE_PARM'
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:228: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:228: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
In file included from /var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/drm_proc.h:41,
                 from /var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:333:
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/drmP.h:561:5: warning: "__HAVE_VBL_IRQ" is not defined
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/drmP.h:664:5: warning: "__HAVE_VBL_IRQ" is not defined
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/drmP.h:936:5: warning: "__HAVE_SG" is not defined
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:407:5: warning: "FIREGL_VMA_INFO" is not defined
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:425:5: warning: "FIREGL_VMA_INFO" is not defined
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: In function `firegl_stub_open':
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:530: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: In function `firegl_stub_putminor':
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:579: warning: `inter_module_put' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/module.h:567)
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:581: warning: `inter_module_unregister' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/module.h:564)
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: In function `firegl_stub_register':
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:601: warning: `inter_module_register' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/module.h:563)
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:632: warning: `inter_module_put' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/module.h:567)
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: At top level:
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:3509: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:3510: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:3511: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:3512: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:3513: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:3514: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:3515: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:3516: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:3518: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:3528: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: In function `test_inter_module_interface':
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:3594: warning: `inter_module_put' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/module.h:567)
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:3600: warning: `inter_module_put' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/module.h:567)
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: In function `__ke_agp_allocate_memory_phys_list':
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:3858: warning: passing arg 3 of pointer to function makes integer from pointer without a cast
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: In function `__ke_agp_bind_memory':
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:3897: warning: passing arg 1 of pointer to function from incompatible pointer type
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c: In function `__ke_agp_unbind_memory':
/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c:3910: warning: passing arg 1 of pointer to function from incompatible pointer type
make[1]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.o] Error 1
make: *** [_module_/var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/work/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.17-gentoo-r4'
 * DRM module not built
>>> Source compiled.
>>> Test phase [not enabled]: x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1

>>> Install ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1 into /var/tmp/portage/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1/image/ category x11-drivers
 * Installing fglrx module
install: cannot stat `fglrx.ko': No such file or directory

!!! ERROR: x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1 failed.
Call stack:
  ebuild.sh, line 1539:   Called dyn_install
  ebuild.sh, line 1013:   Called src_install
  ati-drivers-8.21.7-r1.ebuild, line 182:   Called linux-mod_src_install
  linux-mod.eclass, line 497:   Called die

!!! doins fglrx.ko failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
I'm too tired to waste time on this, gonna hit the sack and look at it tomorrow. What a waste of time.

value(geeks) > value(mundanes)
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ast0r wrote:
Are you running on an unstable profile? It seems like 7.1 is still masked for the stable profile. :(

1) There's no such thing as a "stable profile." Stable and unstable use the same profile.
2) If you're running stable but want xorg-7.1 then do "echo =xorg-base/xorg-x11-7.1 ~x86 >> /etc/portage/package.keywords"
3) Now do "emerge xorg-x11 -pv" and for each package it says needs to be unmasked, unmask them in the same manner as step 2.
Ast0r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
Ast0r wrote:

1) There's no such thing as a "stable profile." Stable and unstable use the same profile.
2) If you're running stable but want xorg-7.1 then do "echo =xorg-base/xorg-x11-7.1 ~x86 >> /etc/portage/package.keywords"
3) Now do "emerge xorg-x11 -pv" and for each package it says needs to be unmasked, unmask them in the same manner as step 2.

I know how to do it, but I really don't want to do this. I'll just wait.
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also do it the easy way. From the HOWTO Modular Xorg:
Quote:
f you are running a stable system (you are running stable if you didn't add ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" to your make.conf), add the required packages to /etc/portage/package.keywords. Download the package list, and open it in a text editor of your choice. Copy and paste the full modular X mask over to package.keywords.
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ast0r wrote:
slycordinator wrote:
Ast0r wrote:

In other words:

You: I want something I can't install. I'm gonna complain about it.
Me: Actually, it's easy to get it installed
You: Yeah but I can't be bothered to do it.

Also, don't hold your breath. You're going to have to wait until nvidia has a driver for 7.1 to get 7.1 stabled.

Finally, what is your reason for refusing to install the package?
STEDevil
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
Ast0r wrote:
slycordinator wrote:
Ast0r wrote:

In other words:

You: I want something I can't install. I'm gonna complain about it.
Me: Actually, it's easy to get it installed
You: Yeah but I can't be bothered to do it.

Also, don't hold your breath. You're going to have to wait until nvidia has a driver for 7.1 to get 7.1 stabled.

Finally, what is your reason for refusing to install the package?

I assume his reason is to avoid having the huge ammount of problems I got into becuase I also had a huge ammount of packages with a general ~arch in package.keywords when (i?)responsible people in Gentoo thought it was a good idea to move a lot of new packages into ~x86 that was KNOWN to break things. Putting 200+ packages in package.keywords with ~arch and no versionnumber (like both people on forums and HOWTO documents recomend) should also come with instructions for lubing up and bending forward so you are ready for the inevitable butt****.
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STEDevil wrote:
I assume his reason is to avoid having the huge ammount of problems I got into becuase I also had a huge ammount of packages with a general ~arch in package.keywords when (i?)responsible people in Gentoo thought it was a good idea to move a lot of new packages into ~x86 that was KNOWN to break things. Putting 200+ packages in package.keywords with ~arch and no versionnumber (like both people on forums and HOWTO documents recomend) should also come with instructions for lubing up and bending forward so you are ready for the inevitable butt****.

Your answer is called a "nonsequitur."

I never asked him "Why do you refuse to put 200+ packages in package.keywords without a version number." Furthermore, I have no idea what this has to do with anything, considering you only need to unmask a handful of packages to get xorg-7.1.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: