Portage on Cygwin?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
solafidefarms
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Portage on Cygwin? Reply with quote

Is it possible to use portage on cygwin? Or on another distro besides Gentoo?

Death to Brobdingnagian expressions! On with pulchritude!
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've compiled stuff for windows in Cygwin before, but many things didn't work out of the box (I had to change Makefiles, sometimes even code, to make things work). So I guess installing a whole distribution inside the Cygwin environment won't be an easy task. If you want to do it and keep it in Windows no matter what, how about using a virtual machine instead?
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Portage & Programming to Gentoo on Alternative Architectures.
a7thson
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has yet mentioned, perhaps this is already known, but there is a HOWTO http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gentoo_on_Cygwin which is a work in progress. There was originally a sourceforge project on this too (http://gentoocygwin.sourceforge.net/), which apparently the writer of this HOWTO has brought back from the grave.

Unfortunately cygwin is expected to function in a very different (to be polite) environment, particularly the filesystem which
lacks mounts, loopback, no /dev, no /sys, the fact there is no real equivalent to the linux kernel, /proc is incomplete, filesystem security and permissions differences, lack of an init system, and so forth... don't get this wrong, cygwin itself is quite a feat, but porting ebuilds to such a platform will not be a trivial undertaking but is probably the best shot for now at Gentoo on Windows outside of VM as was suggested.

Personally I'm more interested in cross compiling to cygwin: http://x.cygwin.com/docs/cg/prog-build-cross.html

Quote:
Or on another distro besides Gentoo?

check the forums, including (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-125553-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-.html) which is pretty extensive though maybe dated.
GNUtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is also gentoo on SFU and it's worse

mabe you should try coliniux

it worked easely but i have to bugreport somewhere because the keyboard doesn't work in Xming(the gpl and native X server)
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

may be a little late, but does this directory exist in your Xming install: lib/X11/xkb/keymap. What does it contain?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: