emerge -e system loops over and over
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueFusion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: emerge -e system loops over and over Reply with quote

Hello,

I changed my CFLAGS to be a little more optimized for my processor. In the process to get everything in the system tree rebuilt with the new CFLAGS, I'm trying to run `emerge -e system` (and with --deep option, too). Unfortunately, after waiting patinetly for over 24 hours, it still is not complete. The system is a dual core 3.2GHz P-D. In the past, I've done emerge -e system in the time it takes for me to complete a usual work day. Well, after looking further at it, it seems to loop once it gets to a certain package. I'm not here to catch what package it loops on, but usually soon after gcc or glibc packages recompile, it starts back again at the first package. A few hours later when I look, it's building gcc again. A few hours later, it's doing glibc. Again, a few hours later, it's around gcc.

This is rediculous and I need to rebuild these packages. I searched and couldn't find any answers on the forums. What do you think I can do to stop emerge from looping before it completes?

Code:
area51 ~ # emerge --info
Portage 2203-svn (default-linux/x86/2006.0, gcc-3.4.5, glibc-2.3.6-r3, 2.6.16-gentoo-r3 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.16-gentoo-r3 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.20GHz
Gentoo Base System version 1.6.14
dev-lang/python:     2.3.5-r2, 2.4.2
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.12
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.59-r7
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r1
sys-devel/binutils:  2.16.1
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.22
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.11-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=prescott -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3.4/env /usr/kde/3.4/share/config /usr/kde/3.4/shutdown /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/lib/X11/xkb /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/eselect/compiler /etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=prescott -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig distlocks sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/pub/linux/gentoo/distfiles/ ftp://213.186.33.38/gentoo-distfiles/ http://206.75.218.52/ ftp://pandemonium.tiscali.de/pub/gentoo/ http://194.117.143.71"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 X a52 acpi aim alsa apache2 apm arts asf audiofile avi berkdb bitmap-fonts bzip2 cdr cli crypt cups curl dri dts dvd dvdr dvdread eds emboss encode esd exif expat fam ffmpeg firefox foomaticdb fortran gdbm gif glibc-omitfp glut gnome gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 hal idn ieee1394 imlib ipv6 isdnlog java javascript jpeg kde kdeenablefinal lcms libg++ libwww lm_sensors logitech-mouse mad mikmod mmx mng motif mp3 mpeg mplayer msn ncurses nls nptl nvidia offensive ogg openal opengl oss pam pcre pdflib perl png pppd python qt quicktime rdesktop readline reflection samba sdl session spell spl sse sse2 ssl tcpd tiff truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev usb vidix vorbis win32codecs xine xml xml2 xmms xorg xpm xv xvid zlib video_cards_nvidia userland_GNU kernel_linux elibc_glibc"
Unset:  ASFLAGS, CTARGET, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY

Code:
area51 ~ # uname -a
Linux area51.richgannon.net 2.6.16-gentoo-r3 #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Apr 26 15:44:02 EDT 2006 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.20GHz GNU/Linux

kruszn72
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: emerge -e system loops over and over Reply with quote

BlueFusion wrote:
Hello,

I changed my CFLAGS to be a little more optimized for my processor. In the process to get everything in the system tree rebuilt with the new CFLAGS, I'm trying to run `emerge -e system` (and with --deep option, too). Unfortunately, after waiting patinetly for over 24 hours, it still is not complete. The system is a dual core 3.2GHz P-D. In the past, I've done emerge -e system in the time it takes for me to complete a usual work day. Well, after looking further at it, it seems to loop once it gets to a certain package. I'm not here to catch what package it loops on, but usually soon after gcc or glibc packages recompile, it starts back again at the first package. A few hours later when I look, it's building gcc again. A few hours later, it's doing glibc. Again, a few hours later, it's around gcc.

[/code]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have just run into this exact same problem with a new install. After I untarred the stage3 tarball, I ran "emerge -e system", and let it run overnight. When I came to my machine in the morning, I saw that it was compiling a package I saw it compile the night before.

What is interesting is that I have setup a very similar to yours. I have a Pentium D 9XX 2.8 GHZ with an Asus P5WD2 Premium Motherboard, with 1GB RAM, a GeForce 6600, and a Western Digital 250 GB SATA2 drive.

My make.conf:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=prescott -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
USE="snmp mysql ldap"
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the problem might lie with the new portage-2.0.54-r1. When I looked at /var/log/emerge.log, I found this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1146094260: >>> emerge (52 of 97) sys-apps/portage-2.0.54-r1 to /
1146094260: === (52 of 97) Cleaning (sys-apps/portage-2.0.54-r1::/usr/portage/sys-apps/portage/portage-2.0.54-r1.ebuild)
1146094261: === (52 of 97) Compiling/Merging (sys-apps/portage-2.0.54-r1::/usr/portage/sys-apps/portage/portage-2.0.54-r1.ebuild)
1146094269: === (52 of 97) Post-Build Cleaning (sys-apps/portage-2.0.54-r1::/usr/portage/sys-apps/portage/portage-2.0.54-r1.ebuild)
1146094270: >>> AUTOCLEAN: sys-apps/portage
1146094275: === Unmerging... (sys-apps/portage-2.0.54)
1146094276: >>> unmerge success: sys-apps/portage-2.0.54
1146094276: *** RESTARTING emerge via exec() after change of portage version.
1146094277: Started emerge on: Apr 26, 2006 23:31:17
1146094277: *** emerge --emptytree system
1146094279: >>> emerge (1 of 97) sys-devel/patch-2.5.9 to /
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here you can see it clearly starts over at package #1.

Unfortunately I am completely new to gentoo, so I cannot offer a definite workaround. This is my first install. :(

I called my friend who is familiar with gentoo, and he suggested that I try "emerge -u world" to try and get the rest of the packages to install. I don't think this is right either, since when I did "emerge -up world", it showed that I only had 23 packages to install - 52+23 != the original 97 that "emerge -e system" said would be installed.

If anyone else has come across this problem, and has any insight, please let me know!

-Rich
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Portage & Programming to Duplicate Threads, please see this topic: Portage looping.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: