disks for an ultra 60
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mathman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: disks for an ultra 60 Reply with quote

Hi guys. So I hooked myself up with an ultra 60, but the hard drive in it sounds like it's on it's last legs, so I'm wanting to hook up another one for it, or maybe even a couple since I have a few empty drive enclosures. So the first thing I'm wondering is if anyone knows where I can get some older type SCSI drives for relatively cheap?

My real problem though, is that I'm not exactly sure what I should buy. Everything I can find about an Ultra 60 on Sun's website just says that the internal drives are 3.5-x 1-in or x 1.6-in disks. Someone on irc was telling me that interally the drives are 80 pin, but that still doesn't leave me much to go on. Sun's website does say that the external ones are 40MB/s 68 pin Ultra SCSI (SCSI3) (Synchronous). But then in shopping around I see all kinds of different things like Ultra SCSI, Ultra wide SCSI, Ultra SCSI SCA, some of which are pretty dang expensive.

I really don't want to go and buy the wrong thing here, so if someone could help me figure out what it is I need exactly I would really really appriciate it. Or if someone could give me some exact model numbers of drives then that would be even better. But any and all help is definitely welcome.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Sorry if you've already suffered through me on irc. =)
Blademan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mathman,

If you are looking for an internal hard disk for the U60, you need a disk with an SCA 80 pin connector. Addditionally, to mount that type of disk in the U60 you need a Sun hot-swap bracket called a "SPUD".

A search on ebay will find many SCA disks + spud brackets, or you can go the route of buying a bracket and disk separately. http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?GetResult&query=spud&from=R10&ht=1&currdisp=2&itemtimedisp=1&st=2&category0=293&Top10=&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&catref=C1

Hope this helps,
Blademan
Mathman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, yeah, that's what someone else was telling me on another forum, I need an SCA disk. So any disk will work as long as it's SCA, be it ultra scsi, or ultra 2 scsi, or ultra 360 scsi?
Blademan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. SCSI is designed to be backwards compatible. The U60 is Ultra SCSI3 (Ultra SCSI 3 Wide). If you attach an Ultra 160 or 320 disk to the SCA connector internally, the bus will sync as fast as the slowest link on the bus (whether bus or disk). Any SCA disk will work for you. And the best part of SCA is no jumpers to deal with.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: