MMX routine missing, can't load drivers
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
()
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: MMX routine missing, can't load drivers Reply with quote

The Alsa and nVidia kernel modules won't load because of a missing routine called _mmx_memcpy, this happened after compiling the 2.4.21 kernel patched with the CK patchset. Anything I need to enable in the kernel, which I've overlooked?
Glorandar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Change your "Processor Family" kernel config selec Reply with quote

I'd think your 2.4.21 kernel's configuration needs to be changed. Specifically the Processor Family should probably be either Athlon/Duron/K7 or CyrixIII/VIA-C3.

This will cause the kernel to compile and link its arch/i386/mmx.c file. It will then export the _mmx_memcpy symbol (which is within mmx.c).

In general its a good thing to choose your CPU's specific Processor Family entry.

BTW, if you aren't using an AMD or Cyrix CPU then I'm totally lost as to the cause of your problem! :lol:

For my Athlon-XP 2100, my 2.4.21 kernel uses the Athlon/Duron/K7 selection and has no issues with either the nvidia-kernel or alsa-driver ebuilds.

PS: If you are using one of these selections and still having this issue. I'd look at the i386/arch/lib/Makefile and the i386/config.in files, to see what one of your patches broke.
()
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I did set the Processor to K7 (I own an Athlon XP), but I have no idea what went wrong as I got tons of new unresolved symbols as I recompiled the kernel. Finally I succeeded in compiling a plain vanilla kernel, and after that I was able to compile successfully with CK patches : ) Everything's smooth now. Which means I can go back to planning my migration to ReiserFS, once the new SATA drive gets here :]
Glorandar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Cleaning the Kernel before re-compile Reply with quote

Quote:
I got tons of new unresolved symbols
As I recall, the advice is to:
Code:
cd /usr/src/linux
cp .config ../config
make mrproper
cp ../config .config
make dep
blah..., blah...

The point is to save your config, yet do an mrproper to really scrub the kernel's source tree clean. Apparently there are sometimes issues with re-compilation after a kernel configuration change.

I experienced this issue when I enabled high memory support. It gave me the strangest unresolved symbol errors until I started with an mrproper. :lol:

Another way to achieve this is to save the .config, delete the source tree, and then re-emerge your sources. But then you'd have to re-apply any local patches you are using.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: