View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erik_swanson
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that really gets under their skin is to politely ask to speak with the caller's manager, then tell the *manager* to place you on the no-call list. The worst thing you can do to them is to waste their time, and a manager's time is more valuable than the average phone-monkey's.
SIR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: For those in the USA... Reply with quote

http://www.donotcall.gov

Just registered my mobile and home phones. :twisted:
mlang
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
And as for 'not beeing able to get another job', I don't buy that. There is ALWAYS other opportunities.

*Resists urge to flame*...*Gives in*

Have you ever volunteered at a homeless shelter? I'd guess not if you're one of the people that think that everyone else is as priviledged as you to have a choice in their employment.

*Backs off*

I had to telemarket two summers ago to pay my rent and my tuition. There were other jobs that I could have taken, but none payed as well or would give me as many hours. The choice between a bad job that I didn't enjoy and the inability to support myself were quite clear.

For some people, yes, there are other alternatives. But if one telemarkets for a career, do you really think there are other options? I guess they could take a $8/hour pay cut and work at McDonalds to support themselves, but that's beside the point.

In general, people don't call you and interrupt you because they enjoy it. They do it because it's their job and it's what they have to do to feed themselves and their families.

I agree that the institution of telemarketing is wrong, but it's quite another thing to blame the people who need the money and a job for the existance of the institution - that's almost like blaming me for the war in Iraq because I'm an American. Sure, there are other places to live where the government is less unjust. I suppose it's my willingness to harm innocent people that makes me stay here, not the lack of resources to move.
paranode
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mlang wrote:
Sure, there are other places to live where the government is less unjust. I suppose it's my willingness to harm innocent people that makes me stay here, not the lack of resources to move.

:roll: I think you'll be disappointed then wherever you would move to. There doesn't exist a government anywhere that is not responsible for injustice. You should appreciate the abundance of benefits instead of complaining about the fewer travesties.

Back to topic...

I hope this National Do Not Call List will work. I'll bet the telemarketers are crafty enough to make themselves fit into one of the exemption categories.
mlang
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paranode wrote:
mlang wrote:
Sure, there are other places to live where the government is less unjust. I suppose it's my willingness to harm innocent people that makes me stay here, not the lack of resources to move.

:roll: I think you'll be disappointed then wherever you would move to. There doesn't exist a government anywhere that is not responsible for injustice. You should appreciate the abundance of benefits instead of complaining about the fewer travesties.

I don't think I expressed myself clearly. I was just trying to make a point, not to claim that those are my feelings.

I do appreciate it, I don't think there are governments not responsible for injustice, and I most definately appreciate my country. I feel blessed to live in my country and have the benefits, lifestyle, and rights it affords me. And I am very thankful to be given the power to stand up for things I don't like.
paranode
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mlang wrote:
paranode wrote:
mlang wrote:

I don't think I expressed myself clearly. I was just trying to make a point, not to claim that those are my feelings.

I do appreciate it, I don't think there are governments not responsible for injustice, and I most definately appreciate my country. I feel blessed to live in my country and have the benefits, lifestyle, and rights it affords me. And I am very thankful to be given the power to stand up for things I don't like.

Right on.
patan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of something I saw on a TV show about hierarchy. It was in swedish but went something like this:

Emperor
Kings
Nobles
Priests
Merchants
Peasants
Slaves
Telemarketers
Brown Eyed Boy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I usually do when I get those people phoning and trying to sell stuff, is to wait until they get into full flow of whatever they're selling, then put the phone to one side and carry on with whatever I was doing when they called. So far, they've _always_ been gone by the time I pick the phone back up 15 minutes later :D

It's a shame I've never actually heard the obscenities they surely come out with when they realise they've been babbling away to no-one :)

~Brown Eyed Boy
Gandalf_Grey_
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a telemarketer calls my house (I really don't get many at all), once they are done thier schpeal I generally reply with "Thats all very interesting ..... so .... whatcha wearing?" they usually want to get the hell off the phone with me after that :p

Canada doesn't have a do not call registry yet thought
searcher
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happen to work at a call-center (hell, i gotta eat, and this is by far the best paying job i EVER had), and from what i'm picking up is that all you guys (and girls) seem to want to take all that anger and frustration out on the guy/girl that's on the phone. When you do that you clearly don't get it. This person is working for a company and selling a product they seriously don't care about. I live in Holland, so it might be different around the world, but when i get some smartass on the phone you just either politely back off or hang up when it gets abusive. Seriously, i really don't care wether you take that product or whatever, since i get payed by the hour, not by the number of calls i make. So i can stay on the phone with one person for hours and hours (beats getting different assholes all the time), so i usually go along with weird people. When you get someone on the phone that just wines and wines i can come up with a lot of weird stuff ;) And the nice point is, you can probably harass the people you call since they weren't planning on buying anything :P

Fortunately we are switching over to just the getting called stuff, so from now on all we get is people that call the call-center, and not the other way around. It makes my working experience a lot more pleasurable :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: