HOWTO: Install Gentoo w/o CD Burner
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KuraiKumo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: HOWTO: Install Gentoo w/o CD Burner Reply with quote

HowTo: Install Gentoo w/o Cd Burner

Note:This is my first one. Please feel free to help with it if I need to make a correction.
Note:There are several ways of doing this so i'm going to describe how I did it before without one and it does work.

First you would need to get VMWare Workstation. The reason for this is because it gives you the option to write to a real hard drive.
Code:
http://www.vmware.com/

Now after you install this yes you will need to get a serial number by buying it but before you get like ugh, I have to pay. Don't worry you get a free 30 day
trial to test it out.

Now that you got your serial or trial code and put it in.

Now double click on the vmware icon thats on your desktop or in startup menu.

Ok it should welcome you to a menu with options.

You should see a icon that says
Code:
New Virtual Machine

1. After you click on it hit next.
2. Click on Custom.
3. Choose "New workstation 5"
4. Click on Linux and choose "Other Linux" or "Other Linux 64 Bit".
5. Type the name you want to give it. You should put "Gentoo" so you can remember it.
6. You might receive this option but I don't know but I do. Pick 1 or 2 Processors it doesn't matter which you pick.
7. Now choose the ammount of RAM you want to give your workstation.
8. Now heres the part you must pay attention to. Choose "Use network address translation (NAT)".
9. Now choose SCSI Adapters: BusLogic.
10. Now heres the option to write to the real hdd. Use "Use a physical hard drive (For Advanced Users).
Note: You will receive a warning and be sure to read it.
11. Use entire disk.
12. Now give the file a name or put Gentoo.vmdk

Now your done but not quite done yet.
Now click on "Edit Virtual Machine Settings".
Go to where its says. "Hard Disk" and on the right side you should see "Advanced" click it.
Now check "Independant".
And now choose Persistant so that it will write to your hard drive any changes. Cause if you don't do this option it will not save to it. Except for your partition changes thats all it will do if you don't do this.

Click on CD-Rom.
On the right side you should choose "Use ISO Image".
And click browse to give the install disk.
Note: I have not done the GUI Install but I have done the minimal install and it worked for me.

Now that you found it. Click okay cause your done with the settings.

Click "Start this Virtual Machine".

It should load up but click on the the black screen and hit F2 before the bar finishes.

And go to boot area and Use the + key to move CDRom to the top and then quit and save chances.

Note: Now that you have it working and when you do your partition tables it will be hda cause it does that even is ou have RAID or SATA.
You will need to put that and I will help you work around this Through the setup.

Ok you should go to the Gentoo Manual for your Arch ex. X86, X86_64, etc.

Follow the manual as normal except on partition use hda.

You should be at the part where it asks you to copy resolv.conf to /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf
Do that as says but you will have to edit it manually cause if you don't you will only get internet connect through the VMWare and not the normal way to
boot in.

Now when you get to doing your fstab.

Add the hda etc to the lines and save it like you did the others. When you get done. Doing everything else you must edit this again and add your real partition type before you reboot or ou will get a kernel panic cause it can't find your root partition and other files.

Do this:
Code:
 nano -w /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf

Now you should see

Code:

domainname or domain:
nameserver:

Now if your on Windows and doing this click Start > run > c:\ or whatever your partition letter is and type "cmd"
Now your in Windows Shell.
Type "ipconfig /all"
Go down til you see your Network card and you will find your

"Connection-specific DNS Suffix" that will be your domain put that in your first line.
You should see "DNS Servers" it might be 1 or more. Now put that next to "nameserver" and if you have more add a new line of nameserver and the
next DNS number ip address"

Hit ctrl + x and hit y to save and enter and you should return back to the screen.

When you done that reboot and you should now have Gentoo installed on your partition and you can now use Gentoo :).

I will add more to this when I see how everything goes. Give your comments and etc and be opinated cause it will help me if I write more later on :).
1GB of Ram Dual Channel 512MB/2
Gentoo 2006.0 x86
Kernel: No-Sources

Last edited by KuraiKumo on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
davidgurvich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to have gone through one method to get a virtual machine image in vmware. As opposed to actually installing gentoo without a cd drive.
KuraiKumo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it writes to the real hard drive through VMWare. Try it out and it does work.
1GB of Ram Dual Channel 512MB/2
Gentoo 2006.0 x86
Kernel: No-Sources
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: