Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What are some recording commands for cd-r/w, dvd-r/w?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
needlern1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: What are some recording commands for cd-r/w, dvd-r/w? Reply with quote

In many instances there are at least one or more commands available in linux to accomplish a task. For the past month or so, I've been trying to configure/use a dvd-r/w that also records cd-r/w. I may have configured my Pioneer dvr-105 correctly and just not know the correct commands to use to record with :?.

I have the cdrecord, with dvd patch from Mandrake, package installed. I also have availabe 'mkisofs' and 'dd'. I only have one cd record/playback device. What commands might I use to:

Copy a music cd?

Use my dvd-r to back up data, such as gnucash type data (I have udf built into my kernel)?

Any other generally used recording commands would be appreciated.

I'm using dev=ATAPI, though that should not affect the commands you suggest. I'll make the adjustment needed for the device. TIA, Bill
David_Escott
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all make sure you do NOT have the ide-scsi stuff loaded or set for your drive. (hdd=ide-scsi should not be an option to the kernel)

here is the cheat sheet then
Code:

mkisofs -r -o cd_image directory/
mount -t iso9660 -o loop cd_image mntpt/
cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATAPI
cdrecord -eject -dummy -vvvv speed=8 dev=ATAPI:x,y,z -data cd_image
cdrecord -eject -vvvv speed=8 dev=ATAPI:x,y,z -data cd_image
mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/dvd/

and for audio first rip to wav files (something like grip should help here)
Code:

cdrecord -eject -vvvv speed=8 dev=ATAPI:x,y,z -pad -audio *.wav

I hope that is clear enough and helps. As to burning dvd-r you should look around the tips and tricks since there have been a lot of discussions about how that works (I think it is more or less the same though).
needlern1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local newspaper headline reads:
Quote:
Grown man grovels and bows down to (almost) kiss feet of guru David_Escott for showing him the recording light (not to be confused with the Guiding Light tv show) :D

Seriously, thank you. My first attempt to record the .wav files failed at speed 8. I cut speed to 4 and it burned correctly. I tried the cd on my computer and my free standing dvd player and it worked great on both.

If there's and easy answer, then what causes speed failure at one speed and not at a lower speed? My DVR-105 purportedly records at speed 16, yet I had to use a 4. Would better media (whatever that means) help?

I haven't tried the 'mkisofs' yet, but am excited about the possibility of finally cutting the last reason I'm using m$ and that's been for Quicken. Since Quicken won't port to linux, then I'll now switch to gnucash (I know I can use the codeweavers product - Crossover , but I'd rather stay native).

I've read where cdrw is not stable enough for mission critical backups(my finances). Is cd-r or dvd-r/w?

TIA, Bill
David_Escott
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was really just a cut and past I have those in a plain text file so I can reference them when I inevitably forget.

Also you can always pipe stuff around if your system is fast enough and cut out steps here and there although for quality control it is always best to do it all seperately.

As to why things are not burning at 8 better media is a possibility. Each cdr is rated to a speed that it will work at. Other possibilities are that it is just to fast for the system. Are you burning as root? You really should since it allows you to burn with realtime priority. Do you have other background processes running especially ones that make a lot of IO calls. I find that even ejecting the dvd drive while burning at 8x (on the cdrw) can mess things up (this is probably in part due to the alpha status of ATAPI support). You could look at the error message that cdrecord reports for more information.

I don't know how much more stable cdr is over cdrw. Certainly somewhat more, but I can't tell you how much. Last time I bought a spindle I just got all cdr's cause the cdrw's where relatively so much more expensive. I would just use cdrw's when you have a legitimate need to rewrite the disk. For some backups you might for others you might not.

Finally gnucash is great, and I am pretty sure it will import quicken databases.

Anyways,
Goodluck
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: