A faster way to relink OpenOffice?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anardil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: A faster way to relink OpenOffice? Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

Hopefully this is the right forum to post it. Feel free to correct me otherwise.

I am constantly stumbling about linking problems after an update. So I often have to run revdep-rebuild.
This is not a big deal as most of the broken packages emerge pretty fast, until OpenOffice comes into play.
Whenever OpenOffice is on the list of packages to be rebuilt, I am taking a day off to rebuild OpenOffice.

When I told a friend of mine about this, he simply said: "Why not using the bin-package? emerges in about half an hour ;-)"
Of course that would be a solution but what good for is the gentoo-way then?

So my question is:

Is there a way to relink the broken binaries, if one knows what binaries are broken, which revdep-rebuild outputs correctly?
This would save one from rebuilding the whole OpenOffice-package for just one simple app from the package!!!

Hopefully there is a simple answer to this question.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: A faster way to relink OpenOffice? Reply with quote

Anardil wrote:
Hi everybody,

Hopefully this is the right forum to post it. Feel free to correct me otherwise.

I am constantly stumbling about linking problems after an update. So I often have to run revdep-rebuild.
This is not a big deal as most of the broken packages emerge pretty fast, until OpenOffice comes into play.
Whenever OpenOffice is on the list of packages to be rebuilt, I am taking a day off to rebuild OpenOffice.

When I told a friend of mine about this, he simply said: "Why not using the bin-package? emerges in about half an hour ;-)"
Of course that would be a solution but what good for is the gentoo-way then?

Well, any solution is good as long as it works. If you want to recompile it, you have to wait. There's no cure for that.

Quote:

So my question is:

Is there a way to relink the broken binaries, if one knows what binaries are broken, which revdep-rebuild outputs correctly?
This would save one from rebuilding the whole OpenOffice-package for just one simple app from the package!!!

Hopefully there is a simple answer to this question.

Not really, that I know of. The liking comes into scene after compilation time, which means you need to have all the .o files (object code file generated during compilation) to re-link them against the new libraries. Theoretically, you should be able to do so if you compile it manually in an easy way, because you could easily keep your compilation tree in your home. Then, if you just use make, only the needed stuff would be redone. There is no way to keep track of this in portage unless doing some black magic, and that would be dirtier.

You could also try to use some tricks, for example, use the --as-needed use flag, which would reduce the amount of linkages when not really needed. But that flag is not really safe, and OO is well known for being so so so picky about non-standard c/ldflags, so I wouldn't recommend that "solution" either.

If you really want to emerge OO on a quick way, just use the bin package. There is nothing you are going to get from building it yourself.

EDIT, I am not sure how FEATURES="keepwork" would work here. You could try to emerge openoffice once with that. If the tree is kept into /var/portage, you can them move it elsewhere or rename it. And rename it again (and use keepwork again when you want to re-emerge it again). But the real problem is that you probably don't wanna keep a 4-6 gb build tree in your hard drive (which is the space it takes to compile OO).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: