canon i-sensys MF655Cdw - no ppd and xsane support
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tloudev
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:15 pm    Post subject: canon i-sensys MF655Cdw - no ppd and xsane support Reply with quote

Hi there, I have Canon MF655Cdw printer which has super features like both side printing etc.. Because there§s no particular PPD and filters at cndrvcups-lb v.3.7.0, I tried to copy the ppd and filters from the deb package available at CANON pages - https://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer/products/printers/i-sensys/mf-series/i-sensys-mf655cdw.html?type=drivers&language=EN&os=Linux%20(64-bit)
Code:

root@stodolar:/home/tloudev/linux-UFRII-drv-v570-m17n/x64/Debian# cp usr/lib/cups/filter/* /usr/libexec/cups/filter/
root@stodolar:/home/tloudev/linux-UFRII-drv-v570-m17n/x64/Debian# cp -a usr/share/* /usr/share/
root@stodolar:/home/tloudev/linux-UFRII-drv-v570-m17n/x64/Debian# cp usr/lib/cups/backend/cnusbufr2 /usr/libexec/cups/backend/

After setup the printer in app-admin/system-config-printer-1.5.18-r1::gentoo I still can't print the test page :-(

Also the sane support is missing - I have installed media-gfx/sane-airscan 0.99.27 but the result is the same as before:
Code:

root@stodolar:~# lsusb |grep Canon
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 04a9:287b Canon, Inc. [unknown]
root@stodolar:~# scanimage -L
[14:11:32.239271] [bjnp] add_scanner: Scanner MF650C Series is not supported, model is unknown! Please report upstream
root@stodolar:~# sane-find-scanner
found possible USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x287b [MF650C Series]) at libusb:001:006
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
  # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

Is there some solution for this situation? All was working OK in latest Mint/Ubuntu, so I don't see any reason, why the same doesn't work in gentoo. Thanx a lot for hints.
lefsha
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Normally for such a printer you can use "IPP Everywhere"

without ANY driver any PPD or what ever. It should work.

It puzzled me also a lot at the beginning before I realized I need no driver at all.

The best if you connect it to the network instead of USB and then you can print from Android
directly.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have that printer myself but, according to Canon UK, the i-SENSYS MF655Cdw is supported by Canon's UFRII/UFRII LT printer driver V5.80:

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer/products/printers/i-sensys/mf-series/i-sensys-mf655cdw.html?type=drivers&detailId=tcm:14-1506758&os=Linux

The ebuild for net-print/cndrvcups-lb in the Gentoo Linux main tree is for version 3.70 as you wrote:

https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/net-print/cndrvcups-lb/cndrvcups-lb-3.70.ebuild

but the ebuild for net-print/cnrdrvcups-lb (notice the slightly different name) in the main tree is for version 5.40:

https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/net-print/cnrdrvcups-lb/cnrdrvcups-lb-5.40.ebuild

Have you tried installing net-print/cnrdrvcups-lb-5.40 instead?

If that does not work, if you are proficient with editing ebuilds you could copy cnrdrvcups-lb-5.40.ebuild into a local overlay, change its name to cnrdrvcups-lb-5.80.ebuild and modify it so that it installs the 5.80 version of the driver.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: