View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dreambox
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Eclipse 2.1 released Reply with quote

Hello

I'm trying to modify the latest ebuild provided with portage tree eclipse-SDK-20030307_rc2.ebuild in order to install the latest eclipse-SDK which has been released on 28 March. I w'd like to run eclipse with OpenMotif 2.2.2-r1. In ebuild file I have dependencies with gtk2 :

Code:

DEPEND=">=virtual/jdk-1.3
   =x11-libs/gtk+-2*
   ppc? ( app-shells/tcsh )"

RDEPEND=">=virtual/jdk-1.3
   =x11-libs/gtk+-2*"

If I replace =x11-libs/gtk+-2* by x11-libs/openmotif-2.2.2-r1, would it work?

Thanks
dreambox
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did someone install eclipse 2.1 successfully with openmotif?
dreambox
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I did it :lol:

I emerged successfully eclipse 2.1 ( released on 28 March ) for openmotif 2.2.2-r1 by modifying last eclipse ebuild eclipse-SDK-20030307_rc2.ebuild. Here it is:

Code:
mkdir -p /usr/local/portage/dev-util/eclipse-SDK

cp /usr/portage/dev-util/eclipse-SDK/eclipse-SDK-20030307_rc2.ebuild /usr/local/portage/dev-util/eclipse-SDK/eclipse-SDK-2.1.ebuild

eclipse-SDK-2.1.ebuild source:
Code:

# Copyright 1999-2003 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/dev-util/eclipse-SDK/eclipse-SDK-2.1.ebuild,v 1.1 2003/03/31 09:58:58 gerk Exp $

DESCRIPTION="Eclipse Tools Platform"
HOMEPAGE="http://www.eclipse.org/"
A="eclipse-SDK-2.1-linux-motif.zip"
SRC_URI="http://download.eclipse.org/downloads/drops/R-2.1-200303272130/${A}"
IUSE=""

SLOT="0"
LICENSE="CPL-1.0"
KEYWORDS="~x86"

=x11-libs/openmotif-2.2.2-r1"

=x11-libs/openmotif-2.2.2-r1"

S=${WORKDIR}/eclipse

src_install() {
   dodir /opt/eclipse

cp -dpR features install.ini  eclipse \
      icon.xpm plugins startup.jar \
      ${D}/opt/eclipse/

dohtml cpl-v10.html notice.html readme/*

dodir /etc/env.d
   echo -e "LDPATH=/opt/eclipse\nPATH=/opt/eclipse\nROOTPATH=/opt/eclipse" > ${D}/etc/env.d/20eclipse
}

then :

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -p /usr/local/portage/dev-util/eclipse-SDK/eclipse-SDK-2.1.ebuild

Code:

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild  N   ] dev-util/eclipse-SDK-2.1

:!: I modified /etc/make.conf to set PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage

I had to provide the full path of the ebuild to merge it. When giving shortname of ebuild (eclipse-SDK), emerge doesn't find it! ( I don't know why :?: )

Eclipse is installed in /opt/eclipse. When trying to run eclipse first time it failed by outputting the message :

./eclipse: error while loading shared libraries: libXm.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I solved it creating a symbolic link:

Code:

cd /usr/X11R6/lib
ln -s libXm.so.3.0.1 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.so.2
ldconfig

That's it !

Hope it works
William
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why doesnt exist a Eclipse 2.1 Ebuild in Portage? The
official Eclipse 2.1 release is already some days ago.

Question:
Why is Eclipse seperated into eclipse-platform-bin and
eclipse-jdt-bin? At www.eclipse.org I couldnt find
the possibility to split Java from Eclipse. Eclipse-SDK
also comes with JDT.
dreambox
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I think that Eclipse ebuild is not really maintainded since gentoo developers have a lot of other things to do. I provided the ebuild for people to test it ( It supports only x86 arcitecture ). I hope I'll get feedback from people who tried it... :lol:

The Eclipse project is divided into 3 main subprojects :

Eclipse Platform:
The Platform defines the set of frameworks and common services that collectively make up "integration-ware" required to support a comprehensive tool integration platform. These services and frameworks represent the common facilities required by most tool builders including a standard workbench user interface and project model for managing resources, portable native widget and user interface libraries, automatic resource delta management for incremental compilers and builders, language-independent debug infrastructure, and infrastructure for distributed multi-user versioned resource management.

Components:
Name Description
Ant Eclipse/Ant integration
Compare Universal compare facility
Core Platform runtime, resource management, target management
Debug Generic execution debug framework
Help Platform help system
Releng Release Engineering
Scripting Support for Platform scripting
Search Integrated search facility
SWT Standard Widget Toolkit
Text Text editor framework
UI Platform user interface
Update Dynamic Update/Install/Field Service
VCM Versioning and Configuration Management
WebDAV WebDAV integration

JDT - Java development tools:
The JDT provides the tool plug-ins for the platform that implement a Java IDE for power-users, that supports the development of any Java application, including Eclipse plug-ins. The JDT adds the notion of Java projects and a Java perspective to the Eclipse platform, as well as a number of views, editors, wizards, builders, and code merging and refactoring tools. The JDT allows Eclipse to be a development environment for itself. The JDT plug-ins themselves can also be further extended by other tool builders.

Components:
Name Description
Core Java IDE headless infrastructure
Debug Debug support for Java
UI Java IDE User Interface

PDE - Plug-in development environment
The PDE project provides a number of views and editors that make is easier to build plug-ins for Eclipse. Using the PDE, you can create your plug-in manifest file (plugin.xml), specify your plug-in runtime and other required plug-ins, define extension points, including their specific markup, associate XML Schema files with the extension point markup so extensions can be validated, create extensions on other plug-in extension points, etc. The PDE makes integrating plug-ins easy and fun.

Components:
Name Description
Core PDE Build
UI PDE User Interface

What is the Eclipse SDK?
The Eclipse SDK (software developer kit) is the consolidation of the components produced by the three Eclipse Project subprojects (Platform, JDT - Java development tools, and PDE - Plug-in development environment) into a single download.

Together these pieces provide a feature-rich development environment that allows the developer to efficiently create tools that integrate seamlessly into the Eclipse Platform.

If you want and IDE fro C/C++, you have to download CDT, It is a set of java plugins that integrate to eclipse to provide C/C++ IDE ( Debugging, syntax highlighting, compiling... )
ajaygautam
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the sake of completness, here is a ebuild for 2.1 for GTK:

eclipse-SDK-2.1.ebuild:

Code:

# Copyright 1999-2003 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/dev-util/eclipse-SDK/eclipse-SDK-2.1.ebuild,v 1.1 2003/03/17 09:58:58 gerk Exp $

DESCRIPTION="Eclipse Tools Platform"
HOMEPAGE="http://www.eclipse.org/"
SRC_URI="http://download.eclipse.org/downloads/drops/R-2.1-200303272130/eclipse-SDK-2.1-linux-gtk.zip"
IUSE=""

SLOT="0"
LICENSE="CPL-1.0"
KEYWORDS="~x86 ~ppc ~sparc"

=x11-libs/gtk+-2*
        ppc? ( app-shells/tcsh )"

=x11-libs/gtk+-2*"

S=${WORKDIR}/eclipse

src_install() {
        dodir /opt/eclipse

cp -dpR features install.ini  eclipse \
                icon.xpm plugins startup.jar \
                ${D}/opt/eclipse/

dohtml cpl-v10.html notice.html readme/*

dodir /etc/env.d
        echo -e "LDPATH=/opt/eclipse\nPATH=/opt/eclipse\nROOTPATH=/opt/eclipse" > ${D}/etc/env.d/20eclipse
}

Seems to be working fine !

Hope that will be of some help to someone :)

Ajay
nigelhannam
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtk ebuild works a treat cheers.

no need for the link for the libXm library - just run env-update
sebster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm having no end of trouble with the GTK eclipse, and even with the openmotif versions. I was wondering how you guys got it to work? What GCC do you use? What JDK?

My system has GCC 3.2.2, and I'm currently doing an emerge -e world in the hope that aftwards the whole thing will work. I read that GCC3 and GCC2 have different formats which cause library linking to be a problem (for example the sun-jdk plugin does not work with a GCC3 compiled mozilla). So do you guys use sun-j2sdk? Or blackdown?

And isn't eclipse itself (in binary distribution form) compiled with GCC2? Shouldn't the libraries that are shipped with it be recompiled with GCC3 then?

Any tips, hints, advice is MOST welcome, still using 2.0.2 open-motif version, since it's the most stable on my system of them all.

Thanks in advance,
Sebastiaan van Erk
dreambox
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to update openmotif to 2.2.2-r1...

I'm running Eclipse with openmotif 2.2.2-r1 and blackdown 1.3. If I'm not wrong, the swt is already compiled when u emerge the package.
ajaygautam
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sebster, sorry to hear that. I had troubles with motif eclipse - it did not start. But GTK installed fine, with the gtk ebuild I pasted above after the sucessfule installation.

gcc:
Code:
$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.2.2
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

J-SDK (Sun):
Code:
$ java -version
java version "1.4.1-gentoo"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1-gentoo-1047397819)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1-gentoo-1047397819, mixed mode)

Somehow, I tend to stay away from "world" emerge, I did a "-p" once and got scared of the results :) It would be deleting (downgrading) a lot of packages. I thoght better to leave alone and update only packages I need for now...

What problems are you having ? If you want (and have similar setup), I can upload tbz2 of the eclipse-2.1-gtk directory.

Ajay
sepp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajaygautam wrote:
Just for the sake of completness, here is a ebuild for 2.1 for GTK:
Hope that will be of some help to someone :)

Ajay

it sure is. good job. you could post your ebuild file on bugs.gentoo.org so it might get into rsync at some time.
ajaygautam
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it sure is. good job. you could post your ebuild file on bugs.gentoo.org so it might get into rsync at some time.

Good Idea. Thanks, done :)

I should do this more often.

Ajay
veggie2u
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would appear that I am not quite sure how to execute your eclipse-SDK-2.1.ebuild for gtk. I copied the text, and created a file and tried to run it like emerge eclipse-SDK-2.1. It tells me I don't have a masked or unmasked ebuild that matches it. Where to I put it, and what name should it have?
ajaygautam
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should be enough. Create eclipse-SDK-2.1.ebuild and paste the contents.

What I did was cd to /usr/portage/dev-util/eclipse

and

emerge ./eclipse-SDK-2.1.ebuild

May be you can try that.

or try:

USE=x86 emerge eclipse-SDK-2.1

HTH

Ajay
cederberg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't see it mentioned here, so I thought I'd mention the (eternal) bug where the Eclipse ebuilds are added. All the desired flavours of Eclipse 2.1 are there now. If you wan't to install any of them I'd suggest using the PORTAGE_OVERLAY feature in make.conf. I.e. do the following:

1. In make.conf, uncommend the line with PORTAGE_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage

2. Create directories /usr/local/portage/dev-util/eclipse

3. Copy your ebuild files there.

4. emerge <whatevereclipse>

5. ebuild <whateverebuild> digest

6. emerge <whatevereclipse> (again)

The reason for putting things in the overlay instead of directly in the portage tree, is for avoiding the files to be overwritten when you do emerge sync. (Please correct any mistakes in the instruction above, I'm kind of in a hurry right now...)
dreambox
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@cederberg
Hehe, It's already in this topic ( 2nd post ) :D

The ebuild <package.ebuild> digest is usefully I think when connection is broken and u want to resume...

I had a question in this topic that no one answered yet :

Why, when using a custom ebuild ( for example eclipse 2.1 ) that is located in PORTAGE_OVERLAY, we need to specify the full path of ebuil to emerge it instead of using the name of ebuild ( without .ebuild extension ) ?
cederberg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreambox wrote:
Hehe, It's already in this topic ( 2nd post ) :D

Ok, sorry for rehashing ebuild instructions... (Didn't find the bug link anyway.)

dreambox wrote:
Why, when using a custom ebuild ( for example eclipse 2.1 ) that is located in PORTAGE_OVERLAY, we need to specify the full path of ebuil to emerge it instead of using the name of ebuild ( without .ebuild extension ) ?

Eh? My experience is that it works perfectly (if you have enabled the overlay in your make.conf). It may be that the ebuild is masked, in which case you have to ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" (or whatever your arch is).
mlybarger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have had nothing but troubles trying to get eclipse to emerge and work successfully. i've tried the source and binary version of the gentoo ebuilds (still at 2.0.2 or 2.0.1) and cannot even start up eclipse. i get error messages about gdk / gtk and such. maybe i'll try this openmotif build one of these days.

netbeans of course works just fine, but i'm so use to eclipse on win32, that i'd rather have it on linux too.
dreambox
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If u have problems with gtk, go for openmotif 2.2.2-r1, It works perfectly :D

Windows Where do you want to go today? MacOS Where do you want to be tomorrow? Linux Are you coming...
cederberg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark_lybarger wrote:
i have had nothing but troubles trying to get eclipse to emerge and work successfully. i've tried the source and binary version of the gentoo ebuilds (still at 2.0.2 or 2.0.1) and cannot even start up eclipse. i get error messages about gdk / gtk and such. maybe i'll try this openmotif build one of these days.

Yes, this is unfortunately not unheard of... I've had much better luck with the Eclipse 2.1 ebuilds (that I've downloaded myself and installed in PORTAGE_OVERLAY). I strongly recommend you to give them a try.

Also, both the eclipse-SDK and the eclipse-platform-bin + eclipse-jdk-bin packages are binary. The only real difference is in the packaging (all in one, or separated into modules). I guess the platform-bin and jdk-bin packages are the "official" ones for Gentoo, as they are not masked (but old though).
Freak_NL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, emerging Eclipse was a breeze and with GTK2 it looks really smooth too. :)

I seem to have another problem though, although I can't find anyone else with the same issue..

I'm trying to add the C# plugin from Improve Technologies. I followed the instructions with the Update Manager and I get the Improve update thingy. Now I select C# and hit the Install button, so far so good. Then the installer pops up and asks for an install location, but I can't seem to add one? Not thru that wizard anyway, but where DO I add one then? :-?

I have this problem on two Gentoo 1.4 systems, this is the eclipse-SDK-1.2 ebuild as it is in today's portage. I tried with Sun's j2sdk-1.4.1.02 and Blackdown's 1.4.1...

I'm lost.. To have such a sweet IDE just within grasp of your C-sharpin' mono-luvin' fingers, only to see it float just out of reach.. :(

Ideas?
cederberg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freak_NL wrote:
I'm trying to add the C# plugin from Improve Technologies. I followed the instructions with the Update Manager and I get the Improve update thingy. Now I select C# and hit the Install button, so far so good. Then the installer pops up and asks for an install location, but I can't seem to add one? Not thru that wizard anyway, but where DO I add one then? :-?

Been there and failed in all the same ways. Eventually I found the best solution to the problem - install it manually by yourself. In short, this boils down to the following:

1. Download the plugin jar-file.
2. mkdir /opt/eclipse/plugins/fr.improve.csharp.ui_2.0.0
3. cd /opt/eclipse/plugins/fr.improve.csharp.ui_2.0.0
4. jar xvf <downloaded file>
5. Restart Eclipse.

Unfortunately I have to tell you that in the end that C# plugin isn't much good. It provides syntax highlighting, but when compiling the code with Mono it shows all kinds of strange errors.
Freak_NL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. Indeed, the plugin (I tried 2.0.1) doesn't seem all that usefull. Although I like Eclipse from what I've seen with Java support, inline completion and all (which the C# plugin seems to lack).

Thank you anyway. :)

Back to gvim it is.. :P
ejahn1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unmodified 2.1 eclipse-bin emerge works great now without any ebuild configuration. One thing I would like to adjust id the menu bar font. It defaults to a teensy weensy font I can barely read. From within the eclipse preferences, there is not an option to adjust the menu bar font, just a bunch of editor window fonts. The eclipse help section says that eclipse tries to use the system fonts as much as possible, but I don't have this tiny font set anywhere, so I think it's just defaulting to this font. I use KDE 3.1.1a. Any ideas on how to change this? Thanks!
iamarug
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to change your gtk theme/fonts. If you have gtk2 you need the latest version of gtk theme switch. There is also another version (1.x) in the portage dir that is for gtk 1. However, I am pretty sure that eclipse is gtk2 only so just emerge gtk theme switch. Then run switch2 and choose the font you like. It should all be well.
I dont remember if the package name is gtk-theme-switch or what but you should be able to find it. I am not in linux right now sorry :(
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: