View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SolidSnakex28
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: How do I user reiser4? Reply with quote

Sorry if it sounds noobish, but how do I make a partition reiser4? I have the 2006.0 disc, but how do I make a reiser4 partition with it, if possible?
kfiaciarka
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just find out if there is mkfs.resier4 option. If there isn't emerge reiser4progs.
SolidSnakex28
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there is no mkfs.reiser4 option, which is exactly what I was looking for. But can you emerge on a livedisc? I don't think so...?
kfiaciarka
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SolidSnakex28 wrote:
No, there is no mkfs.reiser4 option, which is exactly what I was looking for. But can you emerge on a livedisc? I don't think so...?

So use http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/looplinux/rip/
But reiser4 is not stalbe as you think.
gabardal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, you need to boot from a livecd that has reiser4 support, like Conrad's Livecd, once you've done that, just create the filesystem with:
Code:
mkfs.reiserfs4 /dev/hdX

Hope it helps...
SolidSnakex28
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how unstable is it? And is kernel support incuded in the kernel sources? suspend2-sources, for example? I could find out for myself, but I'm just too lazy to emerge another kernel source.
augury
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SolidSnakex28 wrote:
But can you emerge on a livedisc?
Sure why not? You may not have the reiser4 kernel drivers...
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Kernel & Hardware to Unsupported Software.
soongjason
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not check the recent kernel, but if reiser4 is not supported, you can try to use vanilla-kernal. It is 100% there. by the way, are you using the lastest Gentoo LiveCD? Cause I reiser4progs is already in the latest portage tree. I see no reason why gentoo is not adding reiser4progs and mkreiser4 in the lastest LiveCD.
When you install a regular distribution (including GENTOO), you often end up installing a lot of programs that you would probably never use. They're just sitting there taking up (precious) disk space.
iphitus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soongjason wrote:
I have not check the recent kernel, but if reiser4 is not supported, you can try to use vanilla-kernal. It is 100% there. by the way, are you using the lastest Gentoo LiveCD? Cause I reiser4progs is already in the latest portage tree. I see no reason why gentoo is not adding reiser4progs and mkreiser4 in the lastest LiveCD.

Because reiser4 is unstable, and the kernels of the Gentoo LiveCDs do not support it.
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SolidSnakex28 wrote:
So how unstable is it? And is kernel support incuded in the kernel sources? suspend2-sources, for example? I could find out for myself, but I'm just too lazy to emerge another kernel source.

Reiser4 is not unstable at all. I don't know why everyone thinks it is so unstable. :\

Reiser4 is a very fast general purpose filesystem, it specializes in smaller files, like the old reiserfs, but much different. It is quite stable now. Now in the past when it was 0.9x it was NOT stable, but the current release is 1.0.5, and is ready to go into the mainline kernel any time now.

Kernel support is included in patchsets around here, such as mine (-no), -nitro, etc. Or you can apply the kernel patch yourself to any kernel such as gentoo-sources, suspend2-sources, etc.

And for the mkfs.reiser4. It is not in the gentoo livecd, and it won't be until they decide to put the reiser4 patch in gentoo-sources, they probally won't until it hits vanilla. You can use various livecds around the forums, mine includes support for it, and so does the RIP cd?
Lost in android development land.
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soongjason wrote:
I see no reason why gentoo is not adding reiser4progs and mkreiser4 in the lastest LiveCD.

Anyone who can't figure out how to run reiser4 shouldn't. People on the forums freaked out when the plugin set change broke compatibility with previous kernels and when the write barrier warnings started showing up, for example. Anyone running reiser4 should probably be following the mailing list. Also, regardless of what filesystem you're running, it's a good idea to keep backups unless you have a RAID setup and snapshot support. Hardware failure and user error are more of a threat to your data than even reiser4, IMO.
Basin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheater1034 wrote:

Reiser4 is not unstable at all. I don't know why everyone thinks it is so unstable. :\

3 days ago I would have agreed with you, before reiser4 broke and wouldn't mount after my little sister turned my pc off, and fsck.reiser4 ruined it even further.
You don't realise that its unstable until it breaks. Then you have X hours of compiling and configuring to look forward to.
augury
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought reiser4 was ok it was the mm-sources that were out of kilter. I never had the chance to use it much. I use xfs for the longest time and never had a problem (ok once I couldn't read journal on boot up because of some bug with raid so i had to fsck it w/ a slax disk, that bug should have been fixed but it was the only time i ever fsck anything). It's probably slower. Ok I'm pretty sure its not as fast or effective but it can be tuned and beats wondering what happened. I wish they'd have an option so that when the kernel geeks it doesn't zero out the open files. I don't need that kind of security.
Suicidal
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basin wrote:

3 days ago I would have agreed with you, before reiser4 broke and wouldn't mount after my little sister turned my pc off, and fsck.reiser4 ruined it even further.
You don't realise that its unstable until it breaks. Then you have X hours of compiling and configuring to look forward to.

Well said, Same thing happened to me around 2.6.7
zxy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched for patches. Where to get them? I'd like to patch gentoo-sources 2.6.16.
I have only found 2.6.15 kernel that's already patched. (http://www.ebuildexchange.org/catview.php?sh_cat_f=sys-kernel)

I had good experiences (speed, ...) with reiser4, for now no problems, except with finding patches.

And a comment to above: Many filesystems can crash if your litle sister or brother shutdowns the computer .... (without shutdown)
zxy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, DO read forums pages dedicated to reiser4. Ther is a lot of good info there. But read the last dated pages too. Reiser4 is becoming stable, and earlier problems get solved, so info from 6 months ago can be outdated already.

I have reiser4 on all partitions (usr, var, home), but not on root and boot. If something still goes wroGn then you can still boot your system without major problems.

And my experience is that portage and compiling have quickend quite a bit (a lot) since usr and var (where emerge is mostly happening) are on reiser4.

Still, read forums, and decide for yourself. You have the link above.
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zxy wrote:
I searched for patches. Where to get them? I'd like to patch gentoo-sources 2.6.16.
I have only found 2.6.15 kernel that's already patched. (http://www.ebuildexchange.org/catview.php?sh_cat_f=sys-kernel)

A 2.6.16 patch was just released today: ftp://ftp.namesys.com/pub/reiser4-for-2.6
feld
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basin wrote:
cheater1034 wrote:

Exactly. Because it didnt break for you doesn't make it stable.

Reiser4 is far from stable and I wouldnt even call it a complete filesystem with all the features that are missing. To upgrade you have to create a new filesystem. To resize you have to wipe and create a new filesytem.

It's a half assed attempt at fame -- something Hanz will never achieve at this rate.

-Feld

if (random(65535)< 65500) { hose(partition); for (i=0;i<100000000;i++) print_crap(); }
Jake
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feld wrote:

Because it did break for a few random people on the forum doesn't make it unsatable. However most of the complaining I see about reiser4 is from people who have never tried it.
Enlight
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

augury wrote:
I thought reiser4 was ok it was the mm-sources that were out of kilter. I never had the chance to use it much. I use xfs for the longest time and never had a problem (ok once I couldn't read journal on boot up because of some bug with raid so i had to fsck it w/ a slax disk, that bug should have been fixed but it was the only time i ever fsck anything). It's probably slower. Ok I'm pretty sure its not as fast or effective but it can be tuned and beats wondering what happened. I wish they'd have an option so that when the kernel geeks it doesn't zero out the open files. I don't need that kind of security.

If things works after fsck on an eXtended File System, then there was NO problem :wink:

In many cases a "simple" noatime XFS is at least as fast as a stock reiser4, but if yu have to copy lots of small files from a subtree (like /usr/portage) it's just amazing to see reiser4 doing it in 3minutes when XFS takes 8 and ext3 9, wich is what gentoo users may want for emerge --sync etc...

But whe you tweak r4 a bit (noatime, nodiratime, scan node during flush adjusted) you can end-up with really impressive performances.

Now I have to test the crypt-compress mode wich is supposed to be 20% faster :D
iphitus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake wrote:
feld wrote:

Because it did break for a few random people on the forum doesn't make it unsatable. However most of the complaining I see about reiser4 is from people who have never tried it.

If a filesystem breaks (and im mean the filesystem breaking, not the user breaking it) for just one random person, that filesystem is unstable. I dont know what you consider stable, but in terms of filesystems, most people consider breakage unnacceptable as it results in data loss, and thus unstable.

iphitus
Enlight
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iphitus wrote:
Jake wrote:
feld wrote:

If a filesystem breaks (and im mean the filesystem breaking, not the user breaking it) for just one random person, that filesystem is unstable. I dont know what you consider stable, but in terms of filesystems, most people consider breakage unnacceptable as it results in data loss, and thus unstable.

iphitus

When toying with bleeding edge file systems, one should read changelog and check if data structures haven'been modified before rebooting with the last insane kernel. If they don't breakage is ONLY their fault!!! Actually it seems that nobody is able to corrupt a reiser4 file system anymore.
And please don't confuse file system corruption and data loss. data loss may be the result of a security policy!
enzobelmont
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i were you better stay away from reiser 4, UNSTABLE absolutely Untrustwhorty (did i said it right??? sorry my english... :wink:)
Enlight
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enzobelmont wrote:
if i were you better stay away from reiser 4, UNSTABLE absolutely Untrustwhorty (did i said it right??? sorry my english... :wink:)

ok please, show me the steps to crash a reiser4 file-system!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: