PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

red-wolf76 wrote:
Hi Bob,
I'm currently running glibc 2.4 and
Code:
sys-apps/coreutils
      Latest version available: 5.2.1-r7
      Latest version installed: 5.2.1-r7
on x86 and I've not encountered any significant trouble so far, either compiling or running stuff. GCC is at 3.4.5-r1. Could you elaborate a bit on what exactly makes my system non-functional, so I can fix it? :twisted:

use a modern compiler.
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTFman wrote:
I believe thier are some packages that will not compile without -ffriend-injection in the CXXFLAGS. Are you suggesting I use different make.conf profiles for different packages? if so please let me know if there is an easy way to do this and cleanly comile the whole world tree

What packages are those? I have been running gcc-4.1 for sometime now, and no package requires it. Also to do per package *FLAGS, do this

/etc/portage/bashrc:
case $CATEGORY}/${PN} in
    "dev-lang/nasm")
        export CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fno-force-addr"
        ;;
esac

That is just an example. For every package, just add another entry before the esac line.
Code:
    "...")
        export <WHATEVER>="..."
        ;;
red-wolf76
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
use a modern compiler.
Ah, so the "non-functioning system" bit referred to systems using the latest gcc...

Great, looks like I'll be borking my system again, soon. *gg*

Use sane CFLAGS! If for no other reason, do it for the lulz!
WTFman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nesl247 wrote:
WTFman wrote:
I believe thier are some packages that will not compile without -ffriend-injection in the CXXFLAGS. Are you suggesting I use different make.conf profiles for different packages? if so please let me know if there is an easy way to do this and cleanly comile the whole world tree

What packages are those? I have been running gcc-4.1 for sometime now, and no package requires it.
Well Groff for one, it failed to compile the first time I did an emerge -e system, unless it's been fixed adding -ffriend-injection to the CXXFLAGS will solve this. maybe it's an outdated thread but thats how I got emerge -e system to run cleanly. Also can you tell me why you would recomend -02 in my CFLAGS as opposed to -03?
nxsty
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

red-wolf76 wrote:
Bob P wrote:
use a modern compiler.
Ah, so the "non-functioning system" bit referred to systems using the latest gcc...

It's glibc 2.4 coreutils 5.2.1 has problems building against. The gcc version doesn't matter. If you've built coreutils 5.2.1 against glibc 2.3 and then updated to 2.4 it won't be a problem unless you remeerge the coreutils 5.2.1.
FormerSlacker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gergan Penkov wrote:
This goes again and again, but the solution to this problem is that the poor soul, who decides to deploy a ~arch glibc on a stable system, should alone resolve the problems created - as is simple as this.
The developers could not depend on ~arch (in meads of sth like DEPEND="~arch"), as this is the correct solution in this case.
I could understand mixing ~arch gnome or kde with stable system, but if you are using vital parts of the system, which are marked ~arch, then you run a full ~arch system, or you help yourself.

If it wasn't for these "poor souls" deploying ~arch, how do you suppose that all these bugs would be found and resolved so packages could be moved into stable?
WTFman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw I still cannot get libsdl to compile.
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTFman: Make sure to recompile nasm WITHOUT -fforce-addr. Then compile libsdl and it should work.
WTFman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, you are right, I had to edit my make.conf manualy before I got it to compile, your bashrc script did not work nor did putting "dev-lang/nasm -fno-force-addr" in /etc/portage/package.cflags. So how do I emerge the whole world without -fforce-addr in nasm only?
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I messed up the bashrc entry, delete everything in /etc/portage/bashrc, and add this in

Code:
case ${CATEGORY}/${PN} in
    "dev-lang/nasm")
        ;;
esac
IntergalacticWalrus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently zsnes crashing under glibc 2.4 was actually caused by a memory corruption bug that for some reason wasn't detected on older versions of glibc. For more details and a patch look here.
Gergan Penkov
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FormerSlacker wrote:
Gergan Penkov wrote:
This goes again and again, but the solution to this problem is that the poor soul, who decides to deploy a ~arch glibc on a stable system, should alone resolve the problems created - as is simple as this.
The developers could not depend on ~arch (in meads of sth like DEPEND="~arch"), as this is the correct solution in this case.
I could understand mixing ~arch gnome or kde with stable system, but if you are using vital parts of the system, which are marked ~arch, then you run a full ~arch system, or you help yourself.

If it wasn't for these "poor souls" deploying ~arch, how do you suppose that all these bugs would be found and resolved so packages could be moved into stable?

It was meant for the poor souls deploying ~arch glibc on a stable system, which have nothing to do with testing the ~arch branch.
Deploying core packages from the system toolkit on a stable system is little like suicide, because the stable branch have packages, which could be outdated and not ready for such change, moreover updating only one component of the toolkit is sth very dengerous.
You could try to update glibc on some rpm system, or you could try installing for example dapper drake Ubuntu and restart everyday, because of such updates - making it closer to m$w$ every single day.
The freedom and the possibilities, which are provided from gentoo's glibc hot swap, could be very dengerous...
So it's up to the user to know what he/she is doing...
Be glad you finally walked away or you may have not lived another day."
Godsmack
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nxsty wrote:
red-wolf76 wrote:
Bob P wrote:
use a modern compiler.

It's glibc 2.4 coreutils 5.2.1 has problems building against. The gcc version doesn't matter. If you've built coreutils 5.2.1 against glibc 2.3 and then updated to 2.4 it won't be a problem unless you remeerge the coreutils 5.2.1.

you're absolutely right about that. i was just being a wisecracker and exchanging one sarcastic remark for another. i didn't intend to be passing out FUD. my bad. :oops:
red-wolf76
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
nxsty wrote:
red-wolf76 wrote:
Bob P wrote:
use a modern compiler.

you're absolutely right about that. i was just being a wisecracker and exchanging one sarcastic remark for another. i didn't intend to be passing out FUD. my bad. :oops:
Umm... Actually Bob, I wasn't really trying to be overly sarcastic. I just didn't want to be running into horrible scenarios because I upgraded my glibc to 2.4

I was thinking of going for gcc 4 sometime soon anyways, but I sort of wish to sort out one possible problem before I start creating others. So, basically, I wished to rule out that I did something horrible that would kick me in the neck maybe the next time I upgraded world.

And since you're sort of the toolchain guru...

Use sane CFLAGS! If for no other reason, do it for the lulz!
suslik
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

# gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: i686-pc-linux-gnu
Configured with: /var/tmp/portage/gcc-4.1.1/work/gcc-4.1.1/configure --prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.1.1 --includedir=/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/include --datadir=/usr/share/gcc-data/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1 --mandir=/usr/share/gcc-data/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/man --infodir=/usr/share/gcc-data/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/info --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.1/include/g++-v4 --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --disable-altivec --enable-nls --without-included-gettext --with-system-zlib --disable-checking --disable-werror --disable-libunwind-exceptions --disable-multilib --disable-libmudflap --disable-libssp --disable-libgcj --enable-languages=c,c++,objc,fortran --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.1.1 (Gentoo 4.1.1)

=========================

CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -mtune=athlon-xp -O3 -ftree-vectorize -ffast-math -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -falign-functions=64 -fPIC -DPIC"

sys-libs/glibc-2.4-r3 USE="nls nptl nptlonly -build -glibc-omitfp -hardened -profile"

#vi /etc/portage/bashrc
case $CATEGORY}/${PN} in
"dev-lang/nasm")
;;
esac
=========================

emerge glibc

MD -MP -MF /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.4-r3/work/build-default-i686-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/posix/execlp.o.dt -MT /var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.4-r3/work/build-default-i686-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/posix/execlp.o
../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/../fork.c: In function ‘__libc_fork’:
../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/../fork.c:203: error: can't find a register in class ‘BREG’ while reloading ‘asm’
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.4-r3/work/build-default-i686-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/posix/fork.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.4-r3/work/glibc-2.4/posix'
make[1]: *** [posix/subdir_lib] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/glibc-2.4-r3/work/glibc-2.4'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: sys-libs/glibc-2.4-r3 failed.
Call stack:
ebuild.sh, line 1531: Called dyn_compile
ebuild.sh, line 931: Called src_compile
glibc-2.4-r3.ebuild, line 1180: Called toolchain-glibc_src_compile
glibc-2.4-r3.ebuild, line 264: Called die

!!! make for default failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
suslik
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you
glibc not compile with the flag of -fPIC
and without him - normally
where to add him so that for other packages was he and for glibc cleaned up?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: