Crappy Download speeds during install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evil-Muttley
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 10:58 pm    Post subject: Crappy Download speeds during install Reply with quote

I've just been trying to install Gentoo for the first time, using a copies of both the 1.1a and 1.2 iso's and after setting up my nic/filesystem etc as per the instructions, as soon as i get to the emerge rsync phase my download speed go through the floor, less than 1Kb/s for the most part, i've tried specifing mirrors etc but this hasn't made any difference, occasionally downloads will start at decent speeds but plummet after a few seconds.

I've modprobed my nic driver (ne2k-pci)
and run dhcpcd eth1 (i have 2 nics in my machine but want to get this running on one machine before i worry about routing etc)
i've checked that this is the right nic aswell.

I also rebooted into windows to test downloads from the same sites and was getting upwards of 100Kb/s.

Any Suggestions?
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess you tried at different times, so it wasn't a server problem, I use the same driver and I'm always getting near to my maximum speed of 53Kb/s wel it varies but most rsync mirror work fine. Can't you check if its your cable/adsl modem or the ethernet card messing up?

Cya lX.
Evil-Muttley
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i thought the rebooting the machine into windows and getting over 100Kb/s would have done that, but if not, then i dunno.
Evil-Muttley
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, if it helps i have a realtek 8029 nic
leej
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta say, I've never really had speed issues either and I've just built Gentoo on a second PC. Using a Realtek 8139 card (in both) linked to a Hardware DSL Router with no other users plugged in (about the only time I'd bother emerging ;-)) and downloads run at 63Kb/sec when my DSL speed is only 576kb/sec. So shouldn't that be more like...57.6Kb/sec? Regardless, it being too fast is my erm.. anti-complaint. ;-)
jay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually get around 86kb/s - expecially when I download from the ibiblio mirrors. On the other hand connections at the gnome ftp server sometimes get 5kb/s ... but in your case there seems to be a problem with the speed. If you use a router check that auto-negotitation is on and that both ends use the same settings 10mb/s or 100mb/s - full dupley or half duplex....

--jay
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange...

I use ne2k-pci as well, no problems here..
I'm getting 100KB/s or more at all times (that's max of my connection) from mirrors.sunsite.dk

Greets
tomte
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leej wrote:
Gotta say, I've never really had speed issues either and I've just built Gentoo on a second PC. Using a Realtek 8139 card (in both) linked to a Hardware DSL Router with no other users plugged in (about the only time I'd bother emerging ;-)) and downloads run at 63Kb/sec when my DSL speed is only 576kb/sec. So shouldn't that be more like...57.6Kb/sec? Regardless, it being too fast is my erm.. anti-complaint. ;-)

(576*1024)/9=65536 ~ 65kB
;-) (9 if there's a parity bit, I dunno)

regards,
tom
leej
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

(576*1024)/9=65536 ~ 65kB
icon_wink.gif (9 if there's a parity bit, I dunno)

So it's too slow! Where do I complain? ;-)

Was that distracting enough to deflect attention away from my mathematical ability ..erm... inability? ;-) hehe
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leej wrote:
downloads run at 63Kb/sec when my DSL speed is only 576kb/sec

I'm on "256 Deluxe" service through Qwest which means I get a 24/7 pipe, but rather than being 256/256 kilobit up/down, I'm 640/272. I download under Windows at 63.2 KB/s tops, and under Linux at 65.0 KB/s tops (same program, actually). You may be experiencing the effects of PPP compression (most DSL setups use it), you may actually have a 640-kilobit line, or your router may be on crack. :)

(BTW, 640 kilobit == 64 KB/s because, as with modems, there's a start bit and a stop bit. Remember 9600,8,n,1? Like that except 640000,8,n,1. So, 8 data bits plus two other bits equals 10 bits per byte, hence 64 kilobytes per second.)
orkid
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you configure your network after botting up with the gentoo cd? Maybe it's somewhere there that something's messing up?

Trying checking google (groups and web) for linux drivers for the 8029 (or whatever it is), perhaps ne2kpci isn't the best for it.

-Mike
tomte
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delta407 wrote:

(BTW, 640 kilobit == 64 KB/s because, as with modems, there's a start bit and a stop bit. Remember 9600,8,n,1? Like that except 640000,8,n,1. So, 8 data bits plus two other bits equals 10 bits per byte, hence 64 kilobytes per second.)

Are you sure about the 1000? I thought it's 1024, and if my math isn't completly broken, there is only one extra bit, not a start and a stop bit,
I get constantly between 86 and 89 kB (768kb downstream),
impossible with your figures...correct with mine...
I just don't want to post crap, and have to admit that I don't know for sure what's correct, it's just that simple math suggested what I said, and contradicts your statement; so, to emphasize: no offense meant, I just want to learn :)

regards,
tom
Evil-Muttley
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, first off, my net connection is a 1 megabit cable modem connection, and the way i've been setting it up in gentoo is:
modprobe ne2k-pci
dhcpd eth1 (also tried dhcpcd -h <whatever> eth1 and manually settting the ip etc)

oh, and i don't connect through a router...well not yet anyway
jay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is a 768 kbit DSL line, so if I use tomte's math I'm just near perfect:( 768*1024)/)=87kb/s (I get 86kb/s downdstream)

On the other hand: assuming delta is right, then my max speed should be 76 kb/s thus giving a PPP compression efficiency of 12%

Last edited by jay on Wed Jun 12, 2002 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
tomte
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the way: unless there is always some kind of compression active:
my configuration turns all compression of (as recommended/requiered when I set up my gateway) and the packet-log shows rejection of one compression request (VJ comp);

Is there implicit compression using pppoe?

regards,
tom
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: