ncurses messed up [SOLVED, see below]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouve
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: ncurses messed up [SOLVED, see below] Reply with quote

Hi.
Whenever I'm switching from X to my console, all ncurses menus are messed up (instead of dashes I get è letters and so on). The "reset" command doesn't help. When I restart the consolefont service, everything's OK -- as long as I don't switch to X and back to the console.
What's wrong? I'm using lat9w-16 because of german umlauts. Is there an alternative?
Thanks,

mouve

Last edited by mouve on Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:58 am; edited 2 times in total
mouve
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Seems like this problem doesn't only occur to me:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-447090.html

I'm giving you a more detailed description of the error (and my configs), it occurs on my desktop and my Laptop, too:

On my desktop:

Code:
$ cat /etc/conf.d/consolefont
CONSOLEFONT="lat9w-16"
CONSOLETRANSLATION="8859-15_to_uni"

Code:
$ cat /etc/conf.d/keymaps
KEYMAP="de-latin1-nodeadkeys"
SET_WINDOWKEYS="no"
EXTENDED_KEYMAPS=""
DUMPKEYS_CHARSET="iso-8859-15"

Code:
$ cat /etc/env.d/03locale
LANG="de_DE.utf8"
LC_ALL="de_DE.utf8"

Code:
$ cat /etc/rc.conf
UNICODE="yes"

Code:
$ cat /etc/make.conf
USE="[...] dts dv dvd dvdr dvdread eurofile esd font-server foomaticdb gimpprint gtk gtk2 [...] mmx nls ppds qt [...] unicode [...] -kde -gnome"

Code:
# emerge -pv ncurses
[ebuild   R   ] sys-libs/ncurses-5.4-r6  -bootstrap -build -debug -doc +gpm -minimal -nocxx +unicode 0 kB

Description of the error: Whenever I edit my kernel configuration via "make menuconfig" or run any ncurses based program, all the characters like dashes etc. are replaced e.g. by "è" characters (or aren't there at all). Especially in the kernel configuration the menu entries get shifted to left or right when I select them.
"reset" solves the problem, even if I switch to X and back to the console, restarting consolefont or keymaps doesn't help at all.
This error occured not long ago (before, there was no such problem). Maybe it's due to some missing kernel feature? In "Native language support" I have

Code:
---Base native language support
(iso8859-15) Default NLS Option
<*> Codepage 850
<*> NLS ISO 8859-15
<M> NLS UFT8

... and that's all

BTW: In X the error doesn' occur.

On my notebook:
Config files and output of "emerge -pv ncurses" are the same as for my desktop (the USE flags mentioned above are the same for both computers), the problem is also the same. Additionally (and this occurs only on my notebook!), when I type ä (german umlaut for ae) once, I can type backspace twice. Obviously ä counts as two characters. Typing enough umlauts, I can remove the whole prompt... funny at first sight, but not very attractive.

So, what's wrong? I followed the gentoo localization guide and tried and tested different ideas (e.g. in env.d/??locales "de_DE@Euro" instead of "de_DE.utf8"), but nothing helps. Any ideas?
Regards

mouve
RMX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem for me...
mouve
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
Having followed the utf8 guide from gentoo wiki, I thought, those strange problems were history, but I should have known better. After some complaints of my friends concerning some messed up umlauts and filenames I decided to migrate back to my old iso-8859-15 encodings. Besides, the ncurses problem (hit "reset" before you use ncurses based menus or deal with shifted, ugly menus) wasn't fixed either. This lead me to the next problem:
My console font is still terminus, as it had been proposed by the wiki article. I unset it from /etc/conf.d/consolefont (in favour of lat9w-16) and also undid the other changes from the wiki, but every time I switch to X and back to the console, my consolefont is switched back to terminus again. Changing terminus to lat9w-16 via the consolefont service works -- but only until after the next switching-to-X-and-back thing: Having done this, the console font is terminus again, but the prompt is completely messed up -- not even "reset" would help here, only typing /etc/init.d/consolefont restart" again. Not even uninstalling the terminus font helps: my console is still written in terminus! So, I don't work with the console too often, but it's annoying. I'd pretty well like to get rid of this stupid font! Maybe a reboot can change it?

This leads to my new Big Question: Is there any way to get a decent german-speaking gentoo box running, possibly without reinstalling the whole system and without all the problems mentioned above? Following most of the HOWTOs worked -- but as you might guess, messed up my ncurses (as far as I see). If you know the ultimate make-your-box-speak-german-and-use-a-fixed-ncurses, please give me an answer. Or is it all a bug in ncurses?

EDIT:
Rebooting did the trick (so don't just send your notebook to hibernation), also changing the consolefont to lat0-16. Now the ncurses problems are gone, even when changing to X and back. It seems that lat9w-16 is buggy or just not suitable for ncurses menus.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: