Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Xgl Demo Live CD new version available - 0.2!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
01mf02
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting from Korora: awsome!

However, the biggest issue I have some is that you aren't asked for a keymap like it happens with the Gentoo LiveCD. Otherwise great!!! Thanks for your work making this CD possible!
beatryder
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried it on my laptop, 1.6 Centrino, ATI X300, and for some reason, I think that X is using the radeon driver and not the fglrx driver. And when I try to kill X and alter the xorg.conf file it hardlocks.

Everything works fine except for artifacts around the cursor when you move it too fast.

Could you update the ati-drivers on the CD to the most current? They apparently have better support for my video card.

--Thanx
bladus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A selection for the keymap would be great!

However, the CD worked fine, many thanks :)
node@are-b.org
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sponge wrote:
This is just a general question, but is there any sign of a sans-gnome-depending xgl?

I really have no desire to compile nautilus in order to use XGL. :roll:

Nice livecd regardless, I think I'll swallow my pride and merge xgl on my computer.

I don't think you can. I actually tried it. Didn't get all that far, it crashed when trying to anything on the XGL desktop. (like start an xterm or what not).

I think it's because compiz needs some library/thing (gnome window decorator). Dunno what's up with that, and wether only KDE and GNOME will suport something the like. But for now, I suppose you have to let all those nasty gnome libs install. (I did read on the forum/howto you can use XFCE with it, now if I could only use it with e17!) Atleast it doesn't depend on those god-awefull KDE/qt libs, so it's not so bad : )
Babali
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's working fine on my AMD Athlon 2600+ / Ati 9600 Pro

Hum if i want to add workspace, it doesn't work.
If i want to take a windows in the workspace switcher and move it to an other workspace it doesn't work too.

Very good job ;) I love 3d desktop
01mf02
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tested it on 2 more computers now: one old computer with a nVidia Riva TNT2, and on a laptop with onboard graphics (i810). On the TNT2 it failed with the message that legacy drivers were needed. On the laptop it told me that the modules GLCore, glx and speedo couldn't be found and that Xgl failed because "no visual formats found".

The second thing could be a potential bug?
linuxkrn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT job on the livecd. I spent hours getting all this to work at home and then saw your cd. Took it to work to impress the boss.

Anyway, one thing that is missing, and needed, is transset-df. http://forchheimer.se/transset-df/

It allows you to set the transparency of a window, or toggle it. Very small, 10k dl (src) and I compiled it right off the cd and ran it without problems. But would love to have it on the cd.

I also ran into a problem with the media player. It played two mpeg movies then crashed every time (even after restarting X) Any chance of xine or mplayer?

Thanks for all the effort!

EDIT: BTW, transset-df and trans-inactive are in the xgl-coffee overlay.
linuxkrn
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

01mf02 wrote:
I've tested it on 2 more computers now: one old computer with a nVidia Riva TNT2, and on a laptop with onboard graphics (i810). On the TNT2 it failed with the message that legacy drivers were needed. On the laptop it told me that the modules GLCore, glx and speedo couldn't be found and that Xgl failed because "no visual formats found".

The second thing could be a potential bug?

Did you read the requirements? That is WAY below them. I tried it on a GeForce2 MX and it works, although a little slow. But a TNT2? 8O I had one of those in like 1995. :D
Charles Alexander
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to give this a try, but I don't have but I don't have a bootable CD rom drive. I have gentoo installed and I can resize some partitions to make room for this. If I do so, is there a way I can copy the files from the CD in a reasonable manner and boot with grub?
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I downloaded it two different time, md5sum checked out both times. But I get Kernel Oops on both attempts.
Not at home right now so can't post the Oops.

Looks like it is almost ready to startx when it does it (most of the way thru the bootup). Amd64 CPU and Nvidia 6800 GPU, so don't think the video card it the problem or memory cause have 1Gb.

– Steven Wright
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol today I showed the livecd to a couple of friends, when they learned it's Gentoo-based they almost started wiping their hard disks :lol: :lol: I think XGL will convert a good number of people in the near future ;) A drop in the ocean maybe, but...
nlayo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked perfectly on my notebook with ati 9600. It was smooth and didn't kill my CPU. Great job! And a terrific demo. XGL is pretty solid and didn't crash at all when I was using it.
shugaa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This totally totally rocks!! Thanks a bunch!
sponge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

node@are-b.org wrote:
I don't think you can. I actually tried it. Didn't get all that far, it crashed when trying to anything on the XGL desktop. (like start an xterm or what not).

I think it's because compiz needs some library/thing (gnome window decorator). Dunno what's up with that, and wether only KDE and GNOME will suport something the like. But for now, I suppose you have to let all those nasty gnome libs install. (I did read on the forum/howto you can use XFCE with it, now if I could only use it with e17!) Atleast it doesn't depend on those god-awefull KDE/qt libs, so it's not so bad : )
That's what I was afraid of. I really don't understand why people have to lock us in to DE's in order to get a bit of eye candy. Despite however many times I try KDE, GNOME, of even XFCE, I just get tired of them. Too much "magic" going on for my liking, although I haven't tried GNOME in a while. Maybe I should go at it again.
01mf02
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Did you read the requirements? That is WAY below them. I tried it on a GeForce2 MX and it works, although a little slow. But a TNT2? 8O I had one of those in like 1995. :D

Well, the computer is just ~ 4 years old ... but no, I didn't read the requirements. :wink:

But my other problem with the integrated graphics would interest me more - has anybody been able to run this on an i810-accelerated laptop?

Quote:

I haven't tried GNOME in a while. Maybe I should go at it again.

It seems that this LiveCD will not only convert people to Linux, but also to GNOME. :wink:
Hauser
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles Alexander wrote:
I want to give this a try, but I don't have but I don't have a bootable CD rom drive. I have gentoo installed and I can resize some partitions to make room for this. If I do so, is there a way I can copy the files from the CD in a reasonable manner and boot with grub?

Just copy the "isolinux" directory and the other 2 files to the top level of a linux parition, then add a grub entry like this:
Code:
title Kororaa LiveCD
root (hd0,5)
kernel /isolinux/kororaa root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc looptype=squashfs loop=/livecd.squashfs cdroot=/dev/hda6 vga=791 splash=silent,theme:kororaa CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 quiet
initrd /isolinux/kororaa.igz

It's definitely faster than running from a CD drive.

Do I like to compile everything?
Positive definite!
Decibels
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, figured out my Kernel Oops when booting the livecd. Thanks to d_adams, he spotted the problem
when sent him the oops.

It was my microtek scanner. Unplugged it and worked, in it right now writing this.
First time ever that has happened. Have had that scanner since mandrake 7.1, numerous livecd's, harddrive installs,
different distro's. Never had an Kernel Ooops over the scanner. So I would have never guess it was causing a problem
or should I say, it wasn't but the livecd didn't like it for some reason.

Anyway, ya, pretty cool.

– Steven Wright
animehair
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really really nice livecd. Ive tried the live cd for "project looking glass", but that always choked on me. Im running AMD 2600+ 2.1ghz, 512mb ddr333, 4x agp Nvidia Geforce ti 4200 64mb graphics card, and this runs smooth SMOOTH as silk.

Ive been researching this XGL thing, and Im curious to how this could be implemented with other window managers. Will this work for fluxbox...Fluxbox is all i want to use...if I upgrade my system right now can I get these effects with my fluxbox environment......Now THAT would be hot!
Babali
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lepaca Kliffoth wrote:
Lol today I showed the livecd to a couple of friends, when they learned it's Gentoo-based they almost started wiping their hard disks :lol: :lol: I think XGL will convert a good number of people in the near future ;) A drop in the ocean maybe, but...

I just showed the xgl demo to my friends at school, i think that most of them wanna try linux :) but i told them to try ubuntu, sorry mate ;)
david.stevenson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!
Thanks for your work, I have put the CD into 2 machines and it just worked.
Well very minor niggle, both screens are native 1280x1024 but the CD max'd at 1024x768.
I am now going for a new gororaa64 install and the wiki xgl install.....
David
sponge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologise in advance if this is unformed ranting, but this is what I know at this (rather irritated) point.
01mf02 wrote:
It seems that this LiveCD will not only convert people to Linux, but also to GNOME. :wink:
Nope. I spent a day putting together GNOME and XGL on this box and unmerged about a few hours ago (next, I watched a movie). There are things GNOME gets right -- GTK (not a big QT3 fan), Evolution, and a few other things. But one of the things that just killed me was metacity -- you can't keep it from rasing a window on mouse click. I found a patch for it on the GNOME mailing list, but I honestly can't be assed when any of the perfectly good *boxes can manage my windows quite well. And yes, I realise compiz/gnome-window-decorator replaces metacity (another mistake IMO as it locks you in to one WM), and that causes yet another problem as (from what I can tell) compiz can't be made to change the title bar configuration (or maybe that's gnome-window-decorator's job... god only knows). Sorry, but I love my <close><title><iconify>.

animehair wrote:
Ive been researching this XGL thing, and Im curious to how this could be implemented with other window managers. Will this work for fluxbox...Fluxbox is all i want to use...if I upgrade my system right now can I get these effects with my fluxbox environment......Now THAT would be hot!
Nope, it's compiz/gnome-window-decorator only (well minus the KDE alternative which I am as-of-know unaware of). Looks like those of us with a preference for a sane WM will have to wait for Novell (right) or X.org and composite (har, and that includes ATI for fglrx users such as myself).
01mf02
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Sorry, but I love my <close><title><iconify>.

I know, I'm a FVWM user too. :D

I will not install this Xgl stuff on my harddisk as long as the graphical effects are not ported to FVWM/other WMs.
floffe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be nice to have a higher resolution, my vote goes for 1280x1024. That shouldn't be too hard to do.
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Babali wrote:
i told them to try ubuntu, sorry mate ;)

What do you mean? It's the obvious thing to do, it is the only distro you can install xgl on without losing all your hair
EricHsu
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just show kororaa to my windows friend, that impressed him deeply and he now is eager to give linux (especiall gentoo) a try on his newly bought IBM laptop ;)

What an AMAZING job kororaa has done! keep going! Build cool gentoo live cds, that's the best to promote gentoo/linux to other ppl :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: