Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[howto] Transcode DVDs to PSP in full resolution (480x270)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebfe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: [howto] Transcode DVDs to PSP in full resolution (480x270) Reply with quote

Normally the PSP does not support playing full resolution videos from a memory stick due to evil-mastermind-marketing-plans regarding those useless UMD disks. However there is a homebrew app called 'PMP MOD' that does this job. This howto covers encoding a DVD movie into the pmp format using mplayer's mencoder only...

First get yourself a copy of 'PMP MOD' (binary) and 'PMP MUXER' (sources). The first one is the app that runs on your PSP, playing the video. The muxer is a perl script that packs the video and audio track into a special container format ('.pmp'). You can find both at http://jonny.leffe.dnsalias.com/.

As I said we use mencoder to split & encode the DVD's .vob into a xvid video track and a mp3 audio track, so be sure to compile mplayer with 'encode','aac','dvdread','dvd' and 'xvid' use flags.

First of all we will rip the DVD's main movie to the harddisk, so encoding won't require the DVD to be inserted all the time. You can leave this step and encode directly from the DVD if you want.

Quote:

mencoder dvd://1 -ovc copy -oac copy -o mydvd.vob

Now we encode the audio track to mp3 format. Use the vol=9 option to get some volume gain, use smaller values if sound gets noisy.

Quote:

mencoder mydvd.vob -srate 44100 -oac mp3lame -lameopts aq=6:mode=0:cbr:br=96:vol=9 -ovc copy -of rawaudio -o mydvd.mp3

And here comes the video track, using two-pass encoding. Most times the original track is encoded in 4:3 so we need to crop some lines to get it to 16:9. A input size of 720:576 pixels gives us a ratio of 1:0.8. This means we need to crop 114 pixels (576/720*480 - 270) to get to 16:9. Also note that the size of the output video is not 480:270 but 480:272 due to codec restrictions. Calculate the bitrate by hand or use some tool, so the video+audio will fit on your memory stick.

Quote:

mencoder mydvd.vob -nosound -vf harddup,crop=0:462:0:57,scale=480:272 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=1:vhq=4 -o /dev/null
mencoder mydvd.vob -nosound -vf harddup,crop=0:462:0:57,scale=480:272 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=2:vhq=4:bitrate=480 -o mydvd.avi

Now that we got the video and the audio track, we can mux them into the .pmp container format.

Quote:

perl ./pmp_muxer.pl mydvd.avi mydvd.mp3 mydvd.pmp

Now copy the .pmp file to your PSP/VIDEO folder - this is it.
aVirulence
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your guide, but there still seems to be no way to get these kind of movies to play on firmware above 1.50.. and downgrading seems to be impossible too for firmware above 2.0. Since I just bought my PSP, it has 2.6 installed.
edrend
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: AVI files to convert and play on any PSP Reply with quote

Here is a few steps that I've done to get a full resolution movie on my PSP (1.5). I'm using a bult-in player hence movie have to be in MP4 Sony format. It is quite simple to convert the movie to regular resolution (320x240) but it doesnt look as nice as a wide screen one. So I've decided to see what WIndows tools have to offer. Got a PSP video 9 coder and realized that is only a GUI wrapper around ffmpeg. They are using a special version of ffmpeg.exe that contains a hack for PSP to recognize a wide screen. Unfortunatelly I wasnt able to get ffmpeg hack for linux even the regular one works just fine. The only problem it doesnt know how to update the header for Sony PSP so yes I'll use wine + ffmpeg.exe

First step is to get wine installed so you can execute ffmpge.exe for windows.

So the next step is to get PSP video 9 for windows and extract following files:

AVSredirect.dll
    cygwin1.dll
    cygz.dll
    ffmpeg.exe

The next step is to create a script that will confert any avi file into MP4 with a special name that will allow PSP to recognize the video. Here is an example of the script:
$1 - is an input AVI file and $2 is assign unique # for the video. I assume that you will able to put this line in the loop to convert all the avi files into MP4 files. Please keep in mind that AVI files should contain no spaces.
Code:
wine ffmpeg.exe -i $1 -title "$1" -bitexact -vcodec xvid -f psp -s 368x208 -r 29.97 -b 768 -acodec aac -ac 2 -ar 24000 -ab 64 M4V000$2.MP4 < /dev/zero

If anyone found the better native way of converting it with ffmpeg or mencoder I would like to know how.
Thanks,
ed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: