Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
ColorZilla 0.8.3.1 makes Firefox 1.5.x segfault at startup?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mathieu Bonnet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: ColorZilla 0.8.3.1 makes Firefox 1.5.x segfault at startup? Reply with quote

Hi,

My Firefox segfaults at startup, when ColorZilla 0.8.3.1 is activated and extensions are installed/updated... I use the source version, and there is no such problem with the precompiled version, so I was wondering where should I open a bug report, if needed... (Gentoo, Mozilla or ColorZilla dev?)

Here is the complete report:

Using:

• mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.1-r1
  • mozilla-launcher-1.45

Steps to reproduce:

(Same with directly downloading ColorZilla 0.8.3.1 from its official website: http://www.iosart.com/firefox/colorzilla/ColorZilla_0.8.3.1.xpi)

Result and notes:

Code:
$ firefox
/usr/libexec/mozilla-launcher: line 119: 18365 Segmentation fault      "$mozbin" "$@"
firefox-bin exited with non-zero status (139)

Note that it only segfaults the first time... (Firefox starts with no error, the second -and next- time(s) I try to execute it).

However, if I then install an extension like Adblock Plus 0.6.1.1, when I restart Firefox, it will segfault two times in a row, like before... (again, after this, it does not segfault anymore). It could be just a little annoyance, when installing/updating extensions, but the problem is the Adblock Plus extension will not work... The icon in the status bar is grayed out and a tooltip says: "Adblock Plus component couldn't be loaded, maybe it didn't install properly"... (but even when using a clean profile, with only ColorZilla 0.8.3.1 and Adblock, the problem appears).

(Note a similar problem happens with the original Adblock... when I want to list the blockable items, it says "Adblock is not yet enabled: Make sure the browser is located on a write-accessible disk. ... Then, quit and re-launcher. The missing Component will be installed, at startup" (nonsence, in this case). I guess other extensions are affected too).

About ColorZilla, the Eyedropper (which determine the color under the mouse cursor) does not work. It says "Installation problem or the Eyedropper mode isn't supported on your platform. [...]".

If, after all this, I just disable the ColorZilla extension and restart Firefox, Adblock works perfectly (and it is strictly reproducible... when I re-enable the ColorZilla extension, the very same happen, with the initial segfault and the problem with Adblock...). No problem either with ColorZilla 0.8.2 (well, the Eyedropper does not work, but this version wasn't totally compatible with Firefox 1.5, as I understand...).

I reported the problem to the ColorZilla dev, which was not aware of any problem like this. I then tested with mozilla-firefox-bin-1.5.0.1 (the precompiled version), and everything works perfectly, with no error... (including the Colorzilla Eyedropper, as the compatibility problems with Firefox 1.5 have been resolved).

Where does the source of the problem lie? Should I fill a bug about the mozilla-firefox-1.5.x ebuild (as there is no problem with the precompiled version)? or should I fill it on the Mozilla bugzilla? (is there major differencies between the source avec the precompiled versions, which could cause such problems with extensions?)

Can anyone reproduce the problem or does it come from my own configuration?

My `emerge info`:

Code:
# emerge info
Portage 2.1_pre4-r1 (default-linux/x86/2005.1, gcc-3.4.4, glibc-2.3.5-r2, 2.6.15-gentoo-r1 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.15-gentoo-r1 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Gentoo Base System version 1.12.0_pre16
ccache version 2.3 [disabled]
dev-lang/python:     2.4.2
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.12
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.59-r6
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r1
sys-devel/binutils:  2.16.1
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.22
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.11-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/lib/X11/xkb /usr/share/config /usr/share/texmf/dvipdfm/config/ /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/ /usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/config/ /usr/share/texmf/tex/platex/config/ /usr/share/texmf/xdvi/ /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--alphabetical     --display-plus-symbol-before-activated-use-flags"
FEATURES="autoconfig distlocks sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://ftp.proxad.net/mirrors/ftp.gentoo.org/ http://gentoo.mirror.sdv.fr http://mirrors.sec.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/gentoo/ http://ftp.easynet.nl/mirror/gentoo/"
LANG="en_US"
LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"
LINGUAS="en"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage /usr/local/zugaina-portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 X a52 aac acpi alsa apache2 apm audiofile avi berkdb bitmap-fonts bzip2 bzlib cdr cjk clibpdf crypt ctype cups curl dba dbx dga directfb dts dvd dvdr eds emboss exif fbcon ffmpeg flac flash foomaticdb freewnn ftp gd gdbm gif gmp gnutls gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 iconv imagemagick imlib innodb ipv6 java jikes jpeg kde kdeenablefinal kerberos krb4 ldap libg++ libwww m17n-lib mad maildir matroska memlimit mhash mikmod mime ming mmx mng mp3 mpeg mysql ncurses nls nptl ogg oggvorbis opengl oss pam pcre pdflib perl php pic png posix ppds python qt quicktime readline sasl scanner sdl session simplexml sndfile soap sockets socks5 spell spl sse ssl svg svga tcltk tcpd theora tidy tiff tokenizer truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts unicode usb vcd vhosts vorbis win32codecs wmf wxwindows xml xml2 xmms xosd xpm xprint xsl xv xvid zlib elibc_glibc kernel_linux linguas_en userland_GNU video_cards_radeon"
Unset:  ASFLAGS, CTARGET, LDFLAGS

mozilla-firefox-1.5.0.1 was compiled with the following USE flags: "-debug -gnome +ipv6 +java +mozdevelop -xinerama +xprint", and I am revdep-rebuild ok. Will USE="+debug" give a more detailled error message, in this case?

Thanx in advance.
javac16
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen these issues as well. Colorzilla was working fine for awhile but I can no longer get they eyedropper (the only function I use) to work, I get the same error message.

I have also noticed firefox not starting the first couple times I try to launch, but haven't done the specific research you have.
Beholders_Eye
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same issue, and I'm impressed to know that it works with mozilla-firefox-bin. Maybe it's because of CFLAGS and LDFLAGS I've used... But I'll check around.
Mathieu Bonnet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still does not work for me, using mozilla-firefox-2.0-r1, ColorZilla-0.8.3.1, and the following configuration:

Code:

Portage 2.1.1-r2 (default-linux/x86/2006.1, gcc-4.1.1, glibc-2.4-r4, 2.6.17-gentoo-r8 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.17-gentoo-r8 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Gentoo Base System version 1.12.6
Last Sync: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 12:30:01 +0000
ccache version 2.4 [enabled]
app-admin/eselect-compiler: [Not Present]
dev-java/java-config: 1.3.7, 2.0.30
dev-lang/python:     2.4.3-r4
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r5
dev-util/ccache:     2.4-r6
dev-util/confcache:  [Not Present]
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.17
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.60
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2
sys-devel/binutils:  2.16.1-r3
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.3.13-r4
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.22
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.17-r1
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/gconf /etc/java-config/vms/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/web2c"
CXXFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--alphabetical"
FEATURES="autoconfig ccache collision-protect distlocks metadata-transfer nostrip parallel-fetch sandbox sfperms strict userfetch userpriv usersandbox"
GENTOO_MIRRORS=" ftp://ftp.proxad.net/mirrors/ftp.gentoo.org http://gentoo.mirror.sdv.fr http://mirrors.sec.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/gentoo http://ftp.easynet.nl/mirror/gentoo"
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"
LINGUAS="en"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --delete-after --stats --timeout=180 --exclude='/distfiles' --exclude='/local' --exclude='/packages'"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 X a52 aac acpi alsa ao apache2 asf audiofile avi berkdb bitmap-fonts bzip2 bzlib cdr cjk cli cracklib crypt ctype cups curl dba dbx dga directfb divx dlloader dri dts dvd dvdr elibc_glibc exif fam fbcon ffmpeg flac flash foomaticdb freewnn ftp gd gdbm gif gmedia gmp gnutls gpm gtk gtk2 icecast iconv imagemagick imlib innodb input_devices_keyboard input_devices_mouse ipv6 isdnlog java jikes jpeg kde kdeenablefinal kerberos kernel_linux krb4 ldap libg++ libwww linguas_en m17n-lib mad maildir matroska memlimit mhash mikmod mime ming mmx mng mp3 mpeg musepack mysql ncurses nls nptl nptlonly ogg oggvorbis openal opengl oss pam pcre pdf pdflib perl php pic png posix ppds pppd pulseaudio python qt qt3 qt4 quicktime readline realmedia reflection sasl scanner sdl session simplexml sndfile soap sockets socks5 speex spell spl sse sse2 ssl svg svga tcltk tcpd theora tidy tiff tokenizer truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev unicode usb userland_GNU vcd vhosts video_cards_fbdev video_cards_fglrx video_cards_radeon video_cards_vesa video_cards_vga vorbis win32codecs wmf wmp wxwindows xml xml2 xorg xosd xpm xprint xsl xv xvid zlib {USE}"
Unset:  CTARGET, INSTALL_MASK, LDFLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

It does indeed work perfectly with the binary version, though.

I just give up, I don't want both versions (which conflict with each other, notably), and some packages require the source version, so I'll just use screenshots and Gimp, to do the job...
DawgG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: same problem Reply with quote

i got the same problem here, but i'm pretty certain it has nothing to to with (my) CFLAGS
Code:
 CFLAGS="-march=k8 -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
but with some other libraries (still searching), because the error happened just after updating beryl and dependent libs (and no firefox-update).
i'm emerging cairo, pango and gtk+ right now, maybe firefox later, and we'll see.

also i don't have colorzilla installed AND the window-decorator does not work correctly on the ffox-(bin)-window (all buttons except close and set above are missing), that's why i think it must have sth to do with beryl and its libs.
juanignaciosl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just detected this same problem with colorzilla and found this post. Has there been any workaround?
DawgG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: ît works but i forgot how Reply with quote

i solved the problem a little while later, but - i'm very sorry - it's been so long ago that i cannot remember how exactly. i only know it's got nothig to do with colorzilla, since it was never installed on that machine.

i can only - very vaguely - remember that it had sth. to do with X- and/or gtk-libs.

at least u know it will work :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: