[SOLVED] /etc/host.conf: line 24: bad command `mdns off'
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m27315
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] /etc/host.conf: line 24: bad command `mdns off' Reply with quote

Whenever I do a netstat, iptables, or any other networking command, I get the following error message:

Code:
$ netstat -a | grep smtp
/etc/host.conf: line 24: bad command `mdns off'

If I comment out line 24 (mdns off), the error goes away. However, I think a recent update (1-2 months ago) caused this, so I would like to understand the root cause and fix it.

So, why is 'mdns off' a bad command? What should it be? I don't want to just make the error go away, I want to understand the problem so I can fix it the right way!

I have seen this error in a lot of posts, but it is never the root problem, so it never gets resolved. If anybody understands the real solution (beside comment out line #24), I would love to hear it!

TIA

Last edited by m27315 on Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
todw1fd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, just started showing up on my system. Can't be more than a week or so since it appeared. But haven't tracked down the offending update or package.

Code:
equery belongs host.conf
[ Searching for file(s) host.conf in *... ]
sys-libs/glibc-2.3.6-r3 (/etc/host.conf)

I just updated to r3 of glibc. Have you recently bumped up your glibc?
j4miel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same Problem :(

Whenever I use emerge --sync ...
m27315
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: same here Reply with quote

I'm getting the same error; however, I do not know when I picked up a new version of glibc:

Code:
$ equery belongs host.conf
[ Searching for file(s) host.conf in *... ]
sys-libs/glibc-2.3.6-r3 (/etc/host.conf)

My logs went down for almost a month, so I think it was between Jan 21 and now, but other than that, I can't pinpoint it. However, I think I remember seeing glibc being updated 1-2 weeks ago during a manual emerge world.

Does anybody know how to fix this? The right way (beside, commenting out line #24)? :D
j4miel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm ... I emerged glibc yesterday.

Currently using

Code:

/usr/portage/sys-libs/glibc/glibc-2.3.6-r3.ebuild

Bug ?
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=123601
m27315
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UberLord wrote:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=123601

So, after reading the bug report, it appears that line #24 was never supposed to be in /etc/host.conf. So, I guess the fix really is to comment out line #24?
todw1fd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess the bandaid of commenting the offending line in host.conf really is the solutions. I'm guessing the updated host.conf that will be provided will have no mdns section at all
m27315
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I re-emerged glibc this morning, which included an update to /etc/host.conf to remove the 'mdns off' and related comments. Problem solved! Just a transient error...
Valkura
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Uh... Reply with quote

I am having a similar problem...except it won't let me log into any virtual terminals! I am afraid to restart it...I commented it out, and it no longer gives me the error message ("Bad command: mdns off"), instead it just waits and then prompts for a user again. Is it supposed to do this, and should I just restart, or does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?
m27315
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Uh... Reply with quote

Subie wrote:
I am having a similar problem...except it won't let me log into any virtual terminals! I am afraid to restart it...I commented it out, and it no longer gives me the error message ("Bad command: mdns off"), instead it just waits and then prompts for a user again.

I think this is a different problem. Best I could tell, the "Bad command: mdns off" statement is nothing more than a warning. I don't think it actually hurts anything, except possibly generating text at unexpected points in a script. I had been getting the error message for several weeks, but it never impacted anything, best I could tell.

Really, I think your virtual terminal problem is something else. I would suggest starting another thread, so we could focus on this new problem. If you commented out the offending line, and you are still having the problem, then it is almost definitely unrelated to this thread.

Incidentally, you may want to try another update to your box:

Code:
emerge --sync
emerge --deep --update --newuse -pvt world
emerge --deep --update --newuse world

I am surprised that you are still getting this error message. When was the last time you updated?
Valkura
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Uh... Reply with quote

m27315 wrote:
Subie wrote:
I am having a similar problem...except it won't let me log into any virtual terminals! I am afraid to restart it...I commented it out, and it no longer gives me the error message ("Bad command: mdns off"), instead it just waits and then prompts for a user again.

I think this is a different problem. Best I could tell, the "Bad command: mdns off" statement is nothing more than a warning. I don't think it actually hurts anything, except possibly generating text at unexpected points in a script. I had been getting the error message for several weeks, but it never impacted anything, best I could tell.

Really, I think your virtual terminal problem is something else. I would suggest starting another thread, so we could focus on this new problem. If you commented out the offending line, and you are still having the problem, then it is almost definitely unrelated to this thread.

Incidentally, you may want to try another update to your box:

Code:
emerge --sync
emerge --deep --update --newuse -pvt world
emerge --deep --update --newuse world

I am surprised that you are still getting this error message. When was the last time you updated?

Yeah, after looking and noticing the "SOLVED" I did start a new thread :D Someone posted a suggestion there that I shall try. I updated very recently (don't remember quite when...it has happened a lot as I am trying to get XGL and Compiz running), and the suggestion the other person made is related to that, so I am gonna go try it. Thanks!
wubante
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: line 24: bad command `mdns off' Reply with quote

when you upgraded glibc to glibc-2.3.6-r3, you must remember to
Code:
cp /etc/._cfg000_host.conf  /etc/host.conf

This is not a bug!!
Braempje
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: line 24: bad command `mdns off' Reply with quote

wubante wrote:
when you upgraded glibc to glibc-2.3.6-r3, you must remember to
Code:
cp /etc/._cfg000_host.conf  /etc/host.conf

This is not a bug!!

Do not do it like that! Use etc-update (or dispatch-conf)! Otherwise any changes in /etc/host.conf will be lost!
lazyleopard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While using the new version of host.conf does get rid of the "bad command" messages (which, incidentally, will cause problems when they're emitted by, say, exim) it also seems to break something in resolv+. While I'm not getting getting lots of
Code:
/etc/host.conf: line 24: bad command `mdns off'
and
Code:
exim[.*]: 2006-.* T=remote_smtp defer (-19): Malformed SMTP reply from xxx [w.x.y.z] in response to initial connection: /etc/host.conf: line 24: bad command `mdns off'

messages any more, I'm now getting lots of
Code:
sshd[.*]: Did not receive identification string from UNKNOWN

ones. Previously, sshd would list an IP address for these instead of "UNKNOWN".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: