I just wanted to say... I love Gentoo!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loony
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: I just wanted to say... I love Gentoo! Reply with quote

Hello,

I just wanted to say that I love Gentoo! I tried a lot distros in the past, I even switched from Gentoo to another distro but came back quick. These are the reasons (though you will already know this):

You learn a lot about your system!
You have everything under full control, nothing gets installed that you don't want!
It's fast!
Once set up, administration is hassle-free and fun!
It just works!
No more RPM searches, no yum-hassles, no apt-get errors!
Gentoo has the best support forum!
Daily work without surprises!
It's fun!

loony
PaveQ
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

hmm.. I can't really agree here. You can't leave gentoo unmaintained for few months, else it will be hard to update :roll:
gentoo_lan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaveQ wrote:
Quote:

hmm.. I can't really agree here. You can't leave gentoo unmaintained for few months, else it will be hard to update :roll:

I will agree with that statement. I was gone away from my system for about 4 months and I ended up having to reinstall because I didn't want to spend forever cleaning up the mess from updating the system.
loony
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaveQ wrote:
Quote:

Hm, was it a machine used as a server? What besides security related things would one have to update on that machine that would require hard/ a lot of work?

Hm, I don't know any operating system that does not require little work from time to time so it'll keep up and running.

loony
Omega21
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaveQ wrote:
Quote:

I learned that one the tricky way.
avieth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call. The only thing I knew about linux was that it was free, then I installed Gentoo.
alamuru420123
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo_lan wrote:
PaveQ wrote:
Quote:

I will agree with that statement. I was gone away from my system for about 4 months and I ended up having to reinstall because I didn't want to spend forever cleaning up the mess from updating the system.

How bad can it be? Even if it's a long time, won't an "emerge --update --deep --newuse" world take care of everything?
asbud
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

How bad can it be? Even if it's a long time, won't an "emerge --update --deep --newuse" world take care of everything?

Well, that sorta takes care of some things. Except sometimes packages break or conflict, and you have to update the config files or everything goes sour, and new emerges will just unleash havoc on your system.
massysett
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asbud wrote:
Quote:

Well, that sorta takes care of some things. Except sometimes packages break or conflict, and you have to update the config files or everything goes sour, and new emerges will just unleash havoc on your system.

Once I did an emerge -uDNv world, and it did break a lot of things, and I ended up just reinstalling. Looking back though, it probably wouldn't have been hard to fix the system. My Python had been upgraded, so I needed to run python-updater, and of course I needed to to a dispatch-conf. I think that probably would have fixed most everything. Sometimes some things do conflict--dbus and hal right now do strange things, so I have those masked. I also masked the toolchain so it won't get upgraded without my knowledge.

Once Gentoo is running, I definitely think it takes less maintenance than, say, SUSE. There's no reliable way to upgrade to the latest SUSE--best to just start over, and that takes awhile. Even security updates in Gentoo don't take long (compiling takes awhile, but that can go unattended.)

[edit] enotice is essential. I always read my enotices after an emerge. It really should be a standard Portage feature. Often when emerges break things, reading the enotices solves the breakage.
pbardet
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo_lan wrote:

I would say you were lucky it was 4 months. Mine screwed up after 4 weeks of vacation. I spent almost a week trying to find out which versions of some packages had been removed from the tree, which prevented emerge from upgrading because I did not do it regularly. Then remove the packages that were blocking each other, the ones that were just simply gone (like guitoo). I'm still paying for that lack of upgrade/cleanup 3 month later while trying to upgrade gcc to a 3.4.5 version.

Hopefully, after the big emerge -e world I'm currently doing, everything will be running fine. I just hope it doesn't break again like during lirc which complained about new uncompiled kernel, when that kernel has already been compiled, since it's the current one installed. I'm glad emerge --resume worked fine after recompiling the kernel to satisfy lirc...
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my opinion, but Gentoo is a lot easier to maintain than any other OS.

I updated my daughter's PC when she was away on a school trip (she won't let me near it otherwise :wink: ). It hadn't had any updates in about 10 months. Practically every package needed updating, switch to udev, new kernel, KDE, nvidia driver updates, all sorts of fun things. It did take a few days to work around some of the conflicts, but more because I was taking things slowly trying not to screw anything up. At the end, I (she) had a fully up to date system.

It certainly wasn't as easy as emerge -uD world, but no great trial either. I find if you have a lot of packages to update, then doing a few at a time helps.

emerge -u world followed by -uDp world and emerging each dependency individually and looking for the messages that come at the end of the emerge helps to stop things breaking.

I've had more difficulty using Windows update in the past, and that's only for the core OS. I have no clue how many outdated programs we have on the Windows PCs at work, and have no way of finding out, other than manually trawling websites, and then you often have to pay for the update.
Unne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything breaks. The good thing about Gentoo (and Linux in general, really) isn't that it never breaks, but that when it breaks you have the ability to fix it. Gentoo is usually good at this.
loki99
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is, when you do not update for a longer period of time, chances are that some major change has taken place in at least one package one tries to update. So it really helps to skim through the GWN of those months to avoid running into troubles.
Pithlit
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tabanus wrote:
Just my opinion, but Gentoo is a lot easier to maintain than any other OS.

I updated my daughter's PC when she was away on a school trip (she won't let me near it otherwise :wink: ). It hadn't had any updates in about 10 months. Practically every package needed updating, switch to udev, new kernel, KDE, nvidia driver updates, all sorts of fun things. It did take a few days to work around some of the conflicts, but more because I was taking things slowly trying not to screw anything up. At the end, I (she) had a fully up to date system.

sshd? She won't notice at all.
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pithlit wrote:
sshd? She won't notice at all.

Yes, I've always intended to do that, but never got round to installing it, and that's nearly 18 months since I built that PC for her. Would be useful to check her browsing history as well.
pbardet
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's finally done. I regenerated a new kernel with gcc3.4.5 and rebooted the box.
It' s "weird" , but everything feels quite faster. My lirc works again properly, when I could not get it to work anymore.
I have to say that even if it was a big pain, that emerge -e world was the best thing I could do.
But hey, that's one of the reasons I'm sticking to Gentoo.
Keiko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hia,

I first tried linux around 3, maybe 4 years ago, i've known of it for sometime, but never took the pluge. At the time for some reason now unknown to me, i didn't download it for free, but purchased the Suse 8.2 Pro box set. I enjoyed the new experience, but overall it was a disapointment, the menu system was ackward and complex, i got lost easilly, and being a 'user friendly setup' i wasn't sure of another better way to run my syste. Added to that nightmare, my sound, modem and network cards didn't work, and hat the time i lacked the knowledge to understand why, so i drifted away and eventually uninstalled. It was only really on my hard drive for the sake of being there, it wasn't used, nor could i use it for anything that i couldn't do better or faster with a windows version.

Since then i've hovered back and forth with my system, i've tried Solaris, varios other linux distros, including knoppix and FC3, but i still had the same problems, and only minor improovements was noticed by me...

Then in December last year, i tried Gentoo, it took me over 3 weeks to install, due to countless screw ups over misunderstanding the manual, or missing steps out of laziness, but eventually it was running, and i havn't looked back. Gentoo gives me everything i want, as a linux distro i think its unbeatable, although i admit to saying that with only limited experience. My only real moan as been related to emerging openoffice2 from source, but i'm now aware of openoffice-bin, that installes in around 30 mins.

In short, i'm in love with Gentoo.

Thanks to the Gentoo developers and community, for making my PC a pleasure to use again.

Keiko.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: