sound only wokrs when i use gdm
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 8:50 am    Post subject: sound only wokrs when i use gdm Reply with quote

when i installed gentoo the docs had me set up kde right before sound (logical). so when i strayed for a while to mess with kde i noticed (surprise) sound already worked. I went on to install gnome and enlightenment and sound still worked. i started using gnome but realized i liked kde 3.0 better. Now I notice, if i use kdm instead of gdm to login i get a bunch of errors right off the bat about not being able to initialize sound (wierd).

at some point after installing gnome and E16.5 i did try to install alsa but errors popped up that the docs didnt help so i figured "screw it it already works"

i'd just assumed use gdm, but i never can't log out of kde now. it cant be good to have to ctrl-alt-bkspc 80% of the time. who knows what wierdness it is responisble for already.

i dont even know how to get started on this one.
katakombi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you using alsa or the oss kernel driver?

kde uses aRTs, an silly sound daemon which eats a lot of CPU idle time when using his null driver output.

if the device is blocked or another sound server is running, aRTs will complain at startup and display a warning, which tells you it will use null driver output.

is this what you get?

did you check your permissions on your dsp device?

g'look
--kata
tba
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 8:46 pm    Post subject: it hsa something to do with dsp permission Reply with quote

i should have been more specific in my original post but it did say something about permission denied in dsp settings. I logged in as root to test your theory, and sound worked! (it will work anyway when i use gdm instead).

i checked my kernel config... i compiled emu10k1 into the kernel, buit did not install 0SS. Do you recommend i try to get alsa installed again after i install OSS, or just change my dsp permission, or both.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If sound works under root but not other users, it's not a sound configuration issue, it's a permissions issue. Make sure your target user is in the audio group, and everything should be good.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: