Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Profile from 2004.3 to 2005.0 (Where to find files?)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePsychoHobbit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Profile from 2004.3 to 2005.0 (Where to find files?) Reply with quote

I just started up and sync'ed with my laptop (amd64) for the first time in several months, to find that the 2004.3 profile has been removed (which, apparantly, I never upgraded from, which I realize I should have done long ago.) Now I need my laptop for school and it's lame, but alive.

So now I need to upgrade to 2005.0, but I all the documentation and files for this upgrade has been removed. In this thread, a link to the RAW XML file of the upgrade instructions, and a link to the CVS repository is, are provided by widan:
widan wrote:
You can get the raw XML file from CVS, it will look awful without the stylesheet, but it should be usable.

Edit: if other files are referenced, you can get them from here (click on the filename, then on the download link on top of the page that appears). There is an upgrade script here too.

However, what I don't see is where to download the files listed in the upgrade instructions (eg, gcc-config, gcc, portage, and glibc). I'm sorry if I'm just being dense, but I don't see anywhere to download these files. Could someone give me a hand on this? Thank you very much in advance.

--Gabriel
crudh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-upgrading.xml
http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Upgrade_Portage
widan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it seems the files in upgrade/ have never been committed to CVS (probably because they were large binary files) :(. I'm not even sure the ebuilds referenced in the guide are still in the tree.

You might try with the script or this older guide. They are supposed to be deprecated in favor of the new docs, but they don't seem to reference files that don't exist anymore, so they might work (at your own risk).
crudh wrote:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-upgrading.xml

There were special upgrade steps when going from 2004.3 to 2005.0 on amd64, as the multilib handling changed. There used to be a link to the specific upgrade guide in the document you pointed to, but the link was broken (and the broken link was removed recently it seems).
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ths same problem and neither link worked for me and my 2004.3 profile has been removed from portage so I can not emerge anything. :cry:

[EDIT]I have found an amd64 2004.3 live cd that I was able to copy back my /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/amd64/2004.3

So at least I have a start...

[/EDIT]

[EDIT]
Solved. After this I was able to execute /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/amd64/2005.0/scripts/2004.3-2005.0upgrade.sh which did the necissary changes to allow me to change the symlink...
[/EDIT]

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
ThePsychoHobbit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drescherjm wrote:
I have ths same problem and neither link worked for me and my 2004.3 profile has been removed from portage so I can not emerge anything. :cry:

[EDIT]I have found an amd64 2004.3 live cd that I was able to copy back my /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/amd64/2004.3

So at least I have a start...

[/EDIT]

[EDIT]
Solved. After this I was able to execute /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/amd64/2005.0/scripts/2004.3-2005.0upgrade.sh which did the necissary changes to allow me to change the symlink...
[/EDIT]

That's great. Do you think you can upload the 2004.3 profile for me? I don't have the advantage of having kept such a LiveCD around.

Widan: Thank you for your input, both on this thread and the other. I'm planning to spend some time this weekend on it, and have been planning to check out the links you provided. Just need to wait for the weekend to have the time for it. Thanks again.
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to rapidshare.de:
http://rapidshare.de/files/13410705/2004.3.tar.bz2.html

Extract this file in /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/amd64/

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: