inspiron 5150 make menuconfig chipset question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustfinger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: inspiron 5150 make menuconfig chipset question Reply with quote

-- EDIT --
By the way these options are found under Character Devices so if someone out there is running a Dell 5150 with ati-drivers working with 3d acceleration please have a peak at your make menuconfig and let me know what chipsets you have enabled. Thanks.
-----------

I am compiling a linux kernel on my Dell 5150 and i need to know what chipset option to pick. I know my chipset is the 852PM however I don't specifically have that as an option. Here is what I do have:

Option 1.

CONFIG_AGP_INTEL:
This option gives you AGP support for the GLX component of the XFree86 4.x on Intel 440LX/BX/GX, 815, 820, 830, 840, 845, 850, 860, 875, E7205 and E7505 chipsets and full support for the 810, 815, 830M, 845G, 852GM, 855GM, and 865G integrated graphics chipsets

Option2.

CONFIG_AGP_INTEL_MCH:
This option gives you AGP support for the GLX component of XFree86 4.x on Intel chipsets that support Intel EM64T processors.

Option3.

CONFIG_AGP_ATI:
This option gives you AGP support for the GLX component of XFree86 4.x on the ATI RadeonIGP family of chipsets

Those seem to be the only valid options. Now the 852PM chipset does not show up specifically, however Option 1 supports the 852GM. Is option 3 refering to the chipset of the graphics card? I have the ATI Radeon M9. Should i pick Option 3 as well as either option 1 or option 2? Any ideas?

-- EDIT --
I also just read that:

Data bus width = 64 bits
DRAM bus width = 64 bits
Microprocessor address bus width = 32 bits
-----------

dustfinger
Admiral_Trigger_Happy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that what you said about option 3 is correct, I believe it is refering to the graphics chipset and not the motherboard chipset.

I believe that you want Option 1 and not Option 2. althougth I believe that you can have both and not have any problems (just makes the kernel bigger)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: