View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leej
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:28 pm    Post subject: Fluxbox and 'auto-tabbing' applications Reply with quote

Historically I've used Enlightenment and when E got stuck between a rock and a hard place Gnome. Now I've discovered fluxbox after so much plugging on here and I'm pretty much amazed at the simplicity, customizability and layout of the whole thing (oh and gkrellm - where have you been all my life?). ;o)

Anyway, I have a question about the tabs. Yes, I've RTFM (!) over at fluxbox.sourceforge.net and I've also searched here and read as much as possible - but there are so many posts with the words tab and fluxbox that I'm sure I haven't covered them all. So apologies if this has come up before.

What I want to know is whether it's possible to launch an application so that it automatically tries to join a tabgroup. Eg. If I launch Konqueror, I'd like it to automatically join the other Konqueror windows. In effect, that would transform Konqueror into a tabbed browser! ;-)

Is that kind of thing possible? Assigning certain applications into certain tab-groups and have them automatically join them?
c_kuzmanic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my knowledge there is no such functionality implemented yet. There might be some custom command that could be set in the fluxbox/init file to start specific applications in a tabbed format, but if there is I'm unaware of that command.
leej
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_kuzmanic wrote:
To my knowledge there is no such functionality implemented yet. There might be some custom command that could be set in the fulxbox/init file to start specific applications in a tabbed format, but if there is I'm unaware of that command.

I skimmed through months and months of the Fluxbox list archives yesterday and couldn't find anything either. Only a reference to a patch which one user was told, "is all around you" only I was as much in the dark as he. No such patch on the fluxbox site - and google turned up nothing either.

It is a great idea. Turning Konqueror and even Lynx into tabbed browsers (all new windows joining the existing tabgroup) with a mere Window Manager sounds very appealing.
c_kuzmanic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a great feature. Also I'd like to see a "Resume Session" type functionality implemented in fluxbox. In any case, fluxbox is already great and will only get better in the future :wink:
leej
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That would be a great feature. Also I'd like to see a "Resume Session" type functionality implemented in fluxbox.

Yeah! Being able to save and resume from sessions would be great.

Quote:
In any case, fluxbox is already great and will only get better in the future

Agreed. I used to spend a lot of time in E16 until it recently got stuck for a long time between stable builds (or should I say the complete reworking of E17) and Fluxbox seems to have come very natural to me after E16. I'm still very new to it and absolutely loving it.

/shameless plugging mode off. ;-)
c_kuzmanic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah e17 looks very, very interesting - with evas and all. Can't wait to try it...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: